Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Secret Footballer

Apologies if this has been done before -- I couldn't find it on Search -- but does anyone else like these columns and website? There is, of course, much speculation about his identity. He says he is:

"A current Premier League footballer who has been fortunate enough to call the game I love my job, I started out as a striker and feel privileged to have played alongside as well as against some of the great names."

I suddenly wondered if it might be Alan Smith -- still on Newcastle's books, started as a striker, played for a decent Leeds side and Man Utd...

Comments

• Sorry , whats the 'secret' ?
  • Can't tell it's a secret.
  • edited February 2012
    The secret is who it is of course.
  • Shhh - I think it's Ben Collins...
    Ooops! Sorry, it's a column in the Saturday sports section of the Guardian, and there's now a website.
  • It cant be Alan Smith, he isnt a 'current' premier league footballer.

Even before his loan
  • But he is still registered to a PL club.
  • Yes the "started out as a striker" bit is intriguing and immediately brings Smith to mind, are there many other strikers who've moved to a different position and been in the Prem for a fairly long period ?
  • it is an excellent column. Would be surprised if it's smith...or it's ghost written...
  • edited February 2012
    Is "HE" the same "Secret Footballer" in 442 ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Ferdinand used to be a striker
  • As if it's really a pro-footballer.
  • it is an excellent column. Would be surprised if it's smith...or it's ghost written...
    I seem to remember seeing him on some kind of documentary when he was a youngster, and being impressed by how articulate he was. My memory does play tricks on me though...
  • As if it's really a pro-footballer.
    Well, the Grauniad says it is, but maybe you're right.
  • I think it might be our mate Danny Murphy, started as a Striker at Crewe
  • I think it might be our mate Danny Murphy, started as a Striker at Crewe
    Didn't know he started as a striker. Could be.
    I seem to remember seeing him on some kind of documentary when he was a youngster, and being impressed by how articulate he was. My memory does play tricks on me though...
    He was on 5Live a couple of weeks ago just when he joined MKD and he was full of "You knows" "obviously"s and " to be fair"s.
  • Damn you, memory!
    He was on 5Live a couple of weeks ago just when he joined MKD and he was full of "You knows" "obviously"s and " to be fair"s.
    would imagine the pro footballer gives the general theme of the article and then a writer cleans it all up ready for print
  • Therry Racon? He's secretly a footballer
  • Sponsored links:

• I did hear it was Murphy a while back.
  • Reading the 442 secret footballer, it reads as if there is more than one secret footballer.
    I thought you were a Sun reader?

I think the TSF is Danny Murphy, but I doubt he writes the articles as they are published, most likely they are subbed by a Graun journalist.
  • Said he was at a club with financial problems, Murphy has never played at a club that have those during his time there. Possible that it's more than one, but Murphy's ego and desire for a career after football would prob lead to him wanting an article with his name on the lead.
    Ooops! Sorry, it's a column in the Saturday sports section of the Guardian, and there's now a website.
    Thankyou! i was wondering if it was still a secret! ;-0
  • Andy Carroll used to be a striker, didnt he?
  • I reckon it might be Craig Bellamy.
  • There's a whole website on this: http://www.whoisthesecretfootballer.co.uk/

Danny Murphy was ruled out a while back. His latest article suggests he's been at a club in serious financial difficulty, which suggests Pompey or possibly West Ham if the player is indeed still a Prem player.

Column's a great read.
  • There's a whole website on this: http://www.whoisthesecretfootballer.co.uk/

Danny Murphy was ruled out a while back. His latest article suggests he's been at a club in serious financial difficulty, which suggests Pompey or possibly West Ham if the player is indeed still a Prem player.

Column's a great read.
    West Ham aren't a Prem side.
  • http://www.whoisthesecretfootballer.co.uk/index.php/what-we-know/

He once successfully completed a transfer on deadline day.
    He has been involved in a last day relegation battle.
    He’s currently married.
    TSF has a daughter.

Fit in with Murphy, but not sure about the financial difficulty bit, and Di Canio left before he arrived at us I think?

He played with Paolo Di Canio