Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Homophobia in football

Comments

• Options
    Chizz said:
    There was a “Does your boyfriend know your here” chant last night . Not for long and probably only a couple of dozen fans in the upper north but it happened and it made me cringe .  It’s absolutely pathetic 
    Also heard one guy shout, "That's why you play for Brighton you big poof" in the East Stand last night. It was only one guy but again, if everyone ignores it or tuts under their breath (like I did to be honest), where do we go from here?
    It's a disgusting and shaming blight on football that homophobia goes unpunished again and again.  Well done to you @Danny Addick and to you @Bedsaddick because your opinion and view on homophobia will help it diminish over time.  It's an embarrassing stain on football and, sadly, Charlton too.  

Should you have said something to these people?  Yes, you probably should.  Would I have had the intestinal fortitude to do so?  No, I wouldn't.  And therein lies the problem with getting rid of it sooner.  

It's unacceptable.  But it's also unacceptable to leave it to fans to police themselves.  

I am glad that there's less of it than there used to be.  Opinions are changing very rapidly and (I hope) permanently.  Ten years ago, posters on this site even thought it appropriate to make homophobic jokes on this thread.  

Yesterday, a few neanderthals thought it amusing to display their ignorance and bigotry.  It was probably lost on them that, on the same evening, the British public chose to award the Sports Personality of the Year award to a gay professional footballer. 
    i did post on this thread then. Someone brought up foot fetishes. obviously I was watching Porridge around that time.. 

doctor "are you or have you been a practising homosexual?"

Fletcher "what, with these feet?!"

• Options
    Chizz said:
    There was a “Does your boyfriend know your here” chant last night . Not for long and probably only a couple of dozen fans in the upper north but it happened and it made me cringe .  It’s absolutely pathetic 
    Also heard one guy shout, "That's why you play for Brighton you big poof" in the East Stand last night. It was only one guy but again, if everyone ignores it or tuts under their breath (like I did to be honest), where do we go from here?
    It's a disgusting and shaming blight on football that homophobia goes unpunished again and again.  Well done to you @Danny Addick and to you @Bedsaddick because your opinion and view on homophobia will help it diminish over time.  It's an embarrassing stain on football and, sadly, Charlton too.  

Should you have said something to these people?  Yes, you probably should.  Would I have had the intestinal fortitude to do so?  No, I wouldn't.  And therein lies the problem with getting rid of it sooner.  

It's unacceptable.  But it's also unacceptable to leave it to fans to police themselves.  

I am glad that there's less of it than there used to be.  Opinions are changing very rapidly and (I hope) permanently.  Ten years ago, posters on this site even thought it appropriate to make homophobic jokes on this thread.  

Yesterday, a few neanderthals thought it amusing to display their ignorance and bigotry.  It was probably lost on them that, on the same evening, the British public chose to award the Sports Personality of the Year award to a gay professional footballer. 
    i did post on this thread then. Someone brought up foot fetishes. obviously I was watching Porridge around that time.. 

I absolutely wasn't referring to that!  

(And, without derailing the thread, I don't think that's a homophobic joke.  I think it's a brilliant play on words). 
  • Options
    That’s disappointing, even thought to myself how good it is that Brighton can come to ours in numbers and not get that shit that they get elsewhere. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:

What with these feet was the punchline to one of the funniest things ever.
    Loved porridge 
  • Options
    There were some proper wallys there last night but always is at them type of games. Don’t let a very tiny amount of cocks ruin what was a quality evening.
    Ahem
    Sounds like you’ve got something stuck in your throat Dave.
    😳
  • Options
    coming on a forum and telling everyone what you heard 2 out of 10,000 people saying - its not a big problem its dying out slowly. 

bit of a non event really. 

im sure some people only go to football to then complain about things 
    Interesting and telling response that you’ve chosen to label calling out a homophobic incident as ‘complaining’. 

Fairly certain I fully acknowledged that it was only one person so not sure how you’ve decided that I said homophobia was still a big problem. Also pretty sure I said I felt uncomfortable personally and that maybe I was the problem - trying to have a discussion about what happened and what I should have done seems acceptable don’t you think?

Not complaining but this is a football forum, Seems every time we have a big game some can’t wait to get on here and label what bad stuff they saw. Tell the club and then possibly perpetrators can be caught. 

But from 10 years ago where it was chanted regular does your boyfriend know your here and we can see you holding hands. It’s not chanted anymore so it is a declining issue. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2022
    Chizz said:
    coming on a forum and telling everyone what you heard 2 out of 10,000 people saying - its not a big problem its dying out slowly. 

Interesting and telling response that you’ve chosen to label calling out a homophobic incident as ‘complaining’. 

Fairly certain I fully acknowledged that it was only one person so not sure how you’ve decided that I said homophobia was still a big problem. Also pretty sure I said I felt uncomfortable personally and that maybe I was the problem - trying to have a discussion about what happened and what I should have done seems acceptable don’t you think?

Not complaining but this is a football forum, Seems every time we have a big game some can’t wait to get on here and label what bad stuff they saw. Tell the club and then possibly perpetrators can be caught. 

But from 10 years ago where it was chanted regular does your boyfriend know your here and we can see you holding hands. It’s not chanted anymore so it is a declining issue. 
    It's almost like some people would prefer it if there wasn't "bad stuff" to see. 
    nice one jizz 
  • Options

Both were chanted last night. 
    on mass? i was in north upper g block and didnt hear it 
  • Options
    edited December 2022

I was also in the same block. Second row from the back and I could certainly hear both songs, admittedly not in my immediate surroundings. 

I'm not trying to be dramatic as it was far, far worse a few years ago. Let's hope in a few more years they will not be sung at all.
  • Options

I was also in the same block. Second row from the back and I could certainly hear both songs, admittedly not in my immediate surroundings. 

I'm not trying to be dramatic as it was far, far worse a few years ago. Let's hope in a few more years they will not be sung at all.
    Definitely worse years ago. I can remember going to Brighton when the majority of the away end sung both songs.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

It's almost like some people would prefer it if there wasn't "bad stuff" to see. 
    nice one jizz 
    Oh, bravo! I see the book on 'The Wit of Oscar Wilde' will no longer be necessary this Christmas. 
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    While life has improved (this thread and others like it are testament to that) I do think homophobia is a major problem in English football. In the dressing rooms especially. What I find strange is how obsessed young males are with gay jokes. Often accusing each other of doing gay stuff, making comments and so on. I generally take it to be a sign of insecurities, or perhaps a lack of understanding of this thing that they'll never really have to concern themselves with. It happens on the chats in FIFA, it happens in the post-match bar. There's an odd undercurrent that I don't understand. And I don't think they do either, they just go along with it. Either way, it's not a problem that's dying out in football. At the very heart of the sport it's still a major issue. 

The whole "stop being so gay" or "gaayyy" was well used when I was at school. I never saw it as an attack on gay people as such but it was a put down. At school being gay was the last thing you wanted to be accused of. Not sure this is still the case in schools but it was at mine and others. Ricky gervais said similar for his school. 
  • Options
    Last night on the walk back up the hill, a chap in his twenties with a flat cap was yelling 'f****ts' and 'g*y boys' at a couple of Brighton fans in their 50/60s walking on the other side of the road. He was clearly very drunk but it's no excuse. 

I found it quite upsetting as I'm sure the Brighton fans did too. I can't help wondering what I should have done and I've thought about it lots since. Since I felt uncomfortable and did nothing, am I part of the problem? 

Totally understand it was one person that I saw doing this and I'm simply asking the question really - how do we stop this?
     It's relatively simple.
    All that is needed is to completely eradicate fear and ignorance in all mankind, and homophobia, racism, sexism etc will be extirpated forever.
    In the meantime, do what you are capable of achieving, and that's conducting yourself as a decent member of society who doesn't exhibit the sort of behaviour as was witnessed on Wednesday after the game.
    However, if you're a bit handy and decide to give the pissed-up flat-capper a punch up the bracket, it would not be deemed unreasonable behaviour under the circumstances.
  • Options

You must be mutton then because that’s where I was and I heard both . 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    While life has improved (this thread and others like it are testament to that) I do think homophobia is a major problem in English football. In the dressing rooms especially. What I find strange is how obsessed young males are with gay jokes. Often accusing each other of doing gay stuff, making comments and so on. I generally take it to be a sign of insecurities, or perhaps a lack of understanding of this thing that they'll never really have to concern themselves with. It happens on the chats in FIFA, it happens in the post-match bar. There's an odd undercurrent that I don't understand. And I don't think they do either, they just go along with it. Either way, it's not a problem that's dying out in football. At the very heart of the sport it's still a major issue. 

The whole "stop being so gay" or "gaayyy" was well used when I was at school. I never saw it as an attack on gay people as such but it was a put down. At school being gay was the last thing you wanted to be accused of. Not sure this is still the case in schools but it was at mine and others. Ricky gervais said similar for his school. 
    Heard a few kids using those insults the other day on a bus so its probably still a thing
  • Options

The holding hands one was by about 5 people and quickly died out when they realised they looked like mugs.
  • Options

The holding hands one was by about 5 people and quickly died out when they realised they looked like mugs.
    Good
  • Options
    Does the club have a method of reporting these incidents during a game? Maybe an option if you don’t want to confront someone. I think if you did though others would support you. 
    What happened to that annoying announcement? Don’t remember it happening on Weds.
  • Options
    Does the club have a method of reporting these incidents during a game? Maybe an option if you don’t want to confront someone. I think if you did though others would support you. 
    Not sure why this gets two lols. Weird. 
  • Options
    I lol’d because I thought it was a joke. There was a whole thread on the abuse number not so long ago. I thought it was like a “if only there was a way to report abuse 😉’ comment.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    I lol’d because I thought it was a joke. There was a whole thread on the abuse number not so long ago. I thought it was like a “if only there was a way to report abuse 😉’ comment.
    Ahhh OK - completely missed that 🤦‍♂️
  • Options
    How many on here are either gay or black?
    Find it very amusing that most who ain’t get very upset about those who are.
    Be very keen to hear from those two groups mentioned.
    Genuine question.