Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Balance of team when JJ is out...

edited February 2012 in General Charlton
The Tranmere game shows that when JJ is out the impact to the team's balance on the field is seriously affected...

Someone on CL suggested putting in Evina in place of JJ and was shot down. I agreed that this was a non-starter, but it made me think again.

What about pushing up Wiggins to left midfield as he's comfortable on the ball, and putting in Evina at left back? This will give a stronger left side rather than playing Green out of position...

Comments

• Options
    Left wing and right back are the only positions where we dont have a straight swap. Think we should address it. Tried to with Ephraim, but he won't be back. Tricky one as JJ is nailed on in that position. Who is going to send us a player to sit on the bench?
  • Options

I'm sure Wiggins could play there. However, I would be extremely reluctant to tamper with the best defence in the division. My preference would be one of the other midfielders playing there.
  • Options
    Evina left back and Wiggy left midfield until Jacko is back.
  • Options
    I think Wiggins is a poor man's Bale and would easily be capable of being more effective but as clem says it would be at the detriment of the quality he provides at left back. Would slot Evina in though and give it a go in an "easier game"....shame the JPT & league cup early rounds are over and we've played sheff wed twice.
  • Options
    Think Waggy should be used as cover for both Green and Jackson. No point moving Green out of position when Waggy can play there fine. Yesterday neither Green or Pritchard played at their best IMO and it was clear that neither were comfortable in that position. Waggy on the left at least is only 1 player out of his natural position.
  • Options
    Wiggins was trained to be a winger as a teenager so he would be capable. Unfortunately Chrissy won't touch our defence in current form which is understandable but Evina is a good left back so personally i would chuck him in.
  • Options
    Hopefully Jackson will be back very soon, if not then Waggy has played on the left before and imho deserves another chance. He will protect his full back and always likely to get a goal.
  • Options
    Harriott is a natural left winger, I'd like to see him at least on bench. Curious we only used one sub with a game on Tuesday.
  • Options
    leave the back 4 alone.
    if the balance of the side is a problem then play evina in midfield.
  • Options
    Hasn't Haynes been used as a left winger at every club he's been at?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
  • Options
    It's not just the balance he is our skipper and a damn good one at that so a straight swap doesn't solve the whole issue , he will be back Tuesday I am sure
  • Options
    Absoluetly insane to push Wiggins into left midfield. Our back four is immense for starters, but I'll also never understand the Football Manager-esque tinkerman tactics of football fans. Wiggins is left footed and can run, therefore he should play left wing. I once saw Kermorgant head out of the box so he should be a central defender. Paul Hayes has a superior face to Ben Hamer's therefore Hayes should go in goal. There is no need to MacGuyver our football team. I wasn't at Tranmere but I suspect it wasn't the balance that was off, it was the fact Green had to be cutting in rather than running the line and Pritchard is an inexperienced player playing in a tough game. The fact is Jackson is a superior player to Pritchard and one of the best players in this league. We obviously won't look as good without him, not least because he's had 30 games to build an understanding with Wiggins, the midfield and the attack. Chill, it'll all be ok
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I would replace Jacko where necessary with a similar player and that would be Hughes or Russell, we are not looking for a flighty winger but a midfielder who can play wide. Ephraimn (Dearly departed), Green, Evina all require us to change the way we are playing
  • Options
    Evina played at left back and on the left wing for Oldham.
  • Options
    I seem to remember Hollands playing on the left for Bournemouth against us. He could play narrow on the left and allow space for Wiggins to operate and for Green to attack. With Stephens and Pritchard in the middle, it would allow Hollands to push on and get on the end of Green's crosses.
  • Options
    Hollands on the left, Stephens and Russel centre? That way we don't really have to change the way we play. Jackson will play tuesday though so no bother.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Do we know for sure JJ will be back on Tuesday night, or are we just guessing?
  • Options
    Jackson in the team is a strength but his style is such that when he is not there it badly impacts the balance and I am not sure there is anyone in the club that easily fits into his role. He complements Wiggins & Hollands (they complement him) so well I am not sure there is a player anywhere that will easily slot into that role. He is invaluable as a solid defender, a capable passer, a mobile industrious player without being blessed with any real pace, more than useful in the air both in defense and attack, and very able to score goals both in open play and from set plays. He has benefitted enormously from being allowed to play regularly in the one position and have the right blend of players around him.

As Clem says because he plays the role so well what player with the same credentials is going to want to sit behind him in all season.

Anyone brought in will be out of their comfort zone as per Green, Evina, Wagstaff and even Haynes. Ephraim was probably the most able to do the job but in his absence the best fit for me in terms of matching skill sets is Hollands. I am very reluctant to impact his anchor role in central midfield but a change for him may be as good as a rest so I am with 995632 and jcb.

Depending on match fitness I would use one of Russell or Hughes in central midfield with the other on the bench.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    I'll be tempted to leave JJ out of the Rochdale game, at home we should have enough. Stevenage is different, considering now they're the best team ever in League 1 history, bring him in for that