Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Thrombocytopenia.

edited February 2012 in Not Sports Related
Has anyone on here had this condition or knows anyone who has, I need some feedback urgently.
It's a lack of red plateletts....(not red or white blood cells)....which leads to being easily bruised and excessive bleeding following a cut etc.
Obviously I'm a bit worried.....looked it up on Google but would like to hear from someone who has been there and done it so to speak.

Comments

• Options
    I have a close friend with this condition, go to a doctor and you will be referred on, the most likely course of treatment is the injection of a clotting agent into your blood.
  • Options
    next door neighbour has it, don't know much about it but she sometimes has to have a top up as it were when her red platelettes get too low.
  • Options
    Thanks.....had an idea that this would be the case......more bloody injections!!
  • Options
    Apologies if i'm wrong Sound as but didn't you post that you'd had heart trouble a while back?

People with heart problems are sometimes put on warfarin which thins the blood and thus its clotting abilities.

Could it be a case of reducing warfarin intake?
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Yes, I had a couple of heart attacks a few years back and some surgery......no I'm not on Warfrin..........but I am on blood thinning tablets (Ramipril/Bisoprolol) but I'd be surprised if it would cause this.....but who knows, I suppose it could be that?
    I'll no doubt have that taken into consideration......thanks Len.
  • Options
    SoundAsa£
    Are you taking clopidogrel 75mg, or aspirin 75mg? these are both antiplatelet drugs that simplistically stop the blood from becoming 'sticky', Clopidogrel could be a drug cause of thrombocytopenia, though there are many other causes too.
  • Options
    Took Clopidogrel for a while after surgery.....but haven't for some years now.
    My Asprin dosage is only 25mg per day, so once again, I suppose it 'could' be having some effect, but not much is my guess.
  • Options
    SoundAsa£ I work in Haematology at GOSH. Thrombocytopenia is a condition that can be caused by a variety of things, but is in essence a platlet count below the adult normal range of 280 +/-130 10x9/l. I take it your count was low and discovered during a routine blood test, as you are on anticoag. medication. Your GP should send you for further investigation to try and discover the underlying problem.
  • Options
    SoundAsa£ I work in Haematology at GOSH. Thrombocytopenia is a condition that can be caused by a variety of things, but is in essence a platlet count below the adult normal range of 280 +/-130 10x9/l. I take it your count was low and discovered during a routine blood test, as you are on anticoag. medication. Your GP should send you for further investigation to try and discover the underlying problem.
    Wow....the wonders of CL......fantastic info gazza.......thanks a million to all of you.

• Options
    Wow....the wonders of CL......fantastic info gazza from an expert at Great Ormond Street no less.......thanks a million to all of you.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Soundasa£, I have no experience with this but wish you all the best on getting to the bottom of it. Good Luck and Best Wishes! x
  • Options
    gazzadick would obviously be the oracle on this. He's probably dealt with my grandson (from a slight distance) who was an in and out patient at GOSH for a few years and who suffered Thrombocytopenia as part of his illness.