Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Gap Insurance

edited February 2012 in Not Sports Related
Anyone taken this out recently. Fiat want £360 squid for a dual policy covering car value or finance whichever is greater ammount should you need it. Anyone recommend any alternative more competitive deals?

Comments

• Don't bother.

Just buy a cheaper car or put down a bigger deposit.
  • Ask your current insurer how much they charge, if they do gap ins., they will be cheaper by far.
  • Don't do it - it's just a con.

• Daughters doing a 3 year finance deal with on a new Fiat. Thought it's worth considering in case the car is written off or stolen and the insurance settlement is a lot lower that the outstanding debt on the car.
  • edited February 2012
    It's bad enough having negative equity on a property, but on a car it's just madness.

Tell her to go out and buy a decent 2nd hand car she can afford, without borrowing loads. Sure it's not as 'flash' as a new car but it will still get her about. You can even buy some four year old cars out there still with a years manufacturers gaurantee.
  • Daughters doing a 3 year finance deal with on a new Fiat. Thought it's worth considering in case the car is written off or stolen and the insurance settlement is a lot lower that the outstanding debt on the car.

Get the £360 and stick it in the bank for the 3 years.
    If the worst happens, then the "gap" has to be bigger than £1000 for it to matter.

Also worth noting, Direct Line policies are new for old replacement in the 1st year at no extra cost.
  • I'm a carsalesman (waits for boo's) and i do not understand why some people dont take out gap insurance.

But - you can get it for a lot less than £360..
  • Like any insurance, waste of money unless you need it. On a car with high depreciation it's a good idea.
  • was offered this when buying our year old Qashqai and I think 3 years cover cost us £150 which I thought good value. Will be particularly good value if we get to use it after 2 years 11 months !!
  • Like any insurance, waste of money unless you need it. On a car with high depreciation it's a good idea.
    What a strange thing to say.

• Sponsored links:

• Think the board have taken this policy out to protect our 7 point gap just in case..................................
  • I just take the view that there must be a catch or everyone would just write off their car the week before the policy expires and get their money back on the car.
  • I was offered it on my recent car purchase and didn't take it up. Seemed like a waste of money, but I won't be saying that if the car gets written off or stolen in 6 months time!