Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Automatic Finance Phone Calls

edited February 2012 in Not Sports Related
Bloody irritating phone calls from finace companies - anybody know how I can prevent them from calling?

Comments

• Options
    Same here, get messages about PPI everyday
  • Options
    Any cold callers, I tend to ask them to hold the line, put the phone on the side and carry on doing what I was doing, check in 10 mins and see if they're still holding, if so, repeat. They soon get the message...............
  • Options
    Tangoflash - its the recorded messages that piss me off. If its a real person then at least you can vent your annoyance back at them.
  • Options
    I got rid of my landline because of the calls. Me and the wife just use our mobile phones now.
  • Options
    Same here, get messages about PPI everyday
    Ditto that. Always ask them where they got my number from and they always say "the banks" gave it to them, but they can't say specifically which bank gave them my number. Do not like how easy it is for seemingly any old company to find out my name address and phone number.
  • Options
    You probably have, but have you registered with the TPS?

http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html

If so in theory you shouldn't get calls from legitimate UK-based organisations. You'll still get calls from 'the IT department' in Bangalore trying to trick you into buying some expensive software, but you should get fewer calls
  • Options
    Redlanered - thanks. Just hope it works.
  • Options
    Tangoflash - its the recorded messages that piss me off. If its a real person then at least you can vent your annoyance back at them.
    For recorded messages, i find hitting the end call button. But I know what you mean when you keep getting interrupted, thinking it might be someone who actually wants to talk to you.

Used to get these constantly but since I moved 2 years ago (new number) I can honestly say I don't gat them anymore. This might be because whenever I have to give out details of phone number & E-mail, I always change the last didget and if they need to contact me, they can do so via e-mail.

Too many companies selling our information these days.
  • Options
    Tango - good tip about the wrong phone number...I'll bear that in mind.
  • Options
    whenever I have to give out details of phone number & E-mail, I always change the last didget and if they need to contact me, they can do so via e-mail.
    I think some bastard called Rhodes has done this and changed the last digit of their number so that it's now our number. Despite being registered on that TPS we still get loads of phonecalls from various companies asking to speak to Mr or Mrs Rhodes. Of course, when we say there's nobody of that name here they still want to flog us PPI cover etc. Might try that "Hold the line" thing. See if that discourages them a bit.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    For recorded messages, i find hitting the end call button. But I know what you mean when you keep getting interrupted, thinking it might be someone who actually wants to talk to you.

Used to get these constantly but since I moved 2 years ago (new number) I can honestly say I don't gat them anymore. This might be because whenever I have to give out details of phone number & E-mail, I always change the last didget and if they need to contact me, they can do so via e-mail.

Too many companies selling our information these days.
    Absolutely right!

Strange how the data protection act is about as useful as a chocolate teapot when it comes to protecting us from intrusion like this yet it is only too effective in obstructing us from finding out our own information or that of family members when they want our assistance!
  • Options
    Tango - good tip about the wrong phone number...I'll bear that in mind.
    I do that too, Tango.

Problem is, I keep forgetting what my REAL number is !DOH !
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Redlanered - thanks. Just hope it works.
    It doesn't completely. I still get calls trying to flog the useless and toxic "over 50 plans" and calls from India trying to get me to run some dodgy software on my PC. I now tell them they are through to a dedicated garden gnome sales hotline and ask them how many gnomes they want to buy and and in what colour combinations and ask for their credit card or bank account details.
    The UK callers always say things like "you responded to a survey" or some other guff to try to get round the rules on cold calling.
  • Options
    This is how to deal with cold calls - apologies if posted up before. Be warned: you may want to view with the sound turned down low, especially if kids or those of a nervous disposition are in the vicinity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj2oXMdZ4sk

• Options
    Well done redsek, as soon as I started reading this thread I thought about the classic BT customer on you tube. I laugh my socks off every time I hear that. I'd like to buy that man a pint.

Depending on how much time you've got on your hands...sometimes its more fun to play along with them and then see how much time of theirs you can waste...time costs them money. My current record is 42 mins before they gave up. The calls asking you to particpate in surveys are particularly good. "Have you got time to answer some questions sir?" "... of course I have." Then pretend your very hard of hearing... Pardon... Pardon, I cant hear you. Then get a very bad line.

Its like when you get a call from India and their name is Dan. Or Malcolm. Or Derek. So typically not Indian names its bloody obvious they are fake. Make it your mission to actually find out their real name. Ask where they live? Are they married? Do they have kids? Do they enjoy their job? Whats the weather like?

Take the woman who phoned a few weeks ago, trying to sell me solar panels for my roof. Apparently I'd submitted my details for a quote. I hadnt. Turns out her name was Carol, was 42 and lived up north somewhere. She ended up booking an appointment for a random address in a nearby road, not mine.

When they scream "you time wasting w*nker" down the phone at you...you know you've done well :-)
  • Options
    ...Although these phone calls from real sales persons (as oppose to the recorded messages) are a pain, I do feel a bit sorry for them as they are only tryinig to do their job although their training leaves a lot to be desired. I wouldn't do it, but then if I was desperate for a job then this could be me on the other end of the phone trying to make some money.
  • Options

I think some bastard called Rhodes has done this and changed the last digit of their number so that it's now our number. Despite being registered on that TPS we still get loads of phonecalls from various companies asking to speak to Mr or Mrs Rhodes. Of course, when we say there's nobody of that name here they still want to flog us PPI cover etc. Might try that "Hold the line" thing. See if that discourages them a bit.

Use this and you'll stop getting tapped up to leave Huddersfield. Use the Rhodes number
    http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html

• Options
    Not quite as aggressive, but fairly effective...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yor0jd33mow