Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ricky gervais on twitter

edited February 2012 in Not Sports Related
Just branching off from the piers Morgan thread...

I've always liked gervais and believe now he has an account, he is the spotlight and main entertainment of twitter.
He speaks to the public In good manner and seems a humble character compared to the original outlook of him. He might just be using twitter for self promotion in any kind of way, but out of all people he gets the most laughs from tweets. Does go on a bit about religion and god too much, but shares and gives people more answers than other celebs/twats. Fair play to him.

Comments

• Options
    I'm not sure you know.....I find him a bit "try hard" to be funny. Borderline smug.
  • Options
    I've always liked gervais and believe now he has an account, he is the spotlight and main entertainment of twitter.
    He speaks to the public In good manner and seems a humble character compared to the original outlook of him. He might just be using twitter for self promotion in any kind of way, but out of all people he gets the most laughs from tweets. Does go on a bit about religion and god too much, but shares and gives people more answers than other celebs/twats. Fair play to him.
    I could not disagree more. The whole "mong" episode was at best horribly misjudged, and at worst showed him to be an insensitive twat. He wouldn't even make my top 5 of comedians to follow
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I could not disagree more. The whole "mong" episode was at best horribly misjudged, and at worst showed him to be an insensitive twat. He wouldn't even make my top 5 of comedians to follow
    If you're going to dig someone out for using that word then I really wouldn't be at all interested in your top 5 comedians to follow.
  • Options
    The other day a mates Mrs saw Gervais out running yet there were posts of his still popping up on twitter , strange
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    cant stand the bloke, i think he ruined idiot abroad with his annoying laugh, and the way he says things is as if he believes everyone watching is thinking the same, when most of the people i know who watched idiot abroad were thinking why dont you just shut up gervais

didnt get flanimals
    the office was ok
    as a stand up you couldnt pay me to see him

• Options
    Not worthy of the plaudits given to him imo, was quite amusing on that topical comedy with Iain Lee years ago (the prog where Ali G first appeared).
  • Options
    cant stand the bloke, i think he ruined idiot abroad with his annoying laugh,

They didn't need the phone calls in Idiot abroad, they weren't funny at all.
  • Options
    The funniest thing about Ricky Gervais is his railings and his failed attempt as an 80's pop star
  • Options
    I enjoyed his animals & politics (and another one I forget) speeches. Thought they were well written. Don't have a problem with the guy and find him quite funny and not afraid to take the piss out of himself.

I however have to agree that he was irritating on idiot abroad and should have just stayed behind the camera on that one..............................

The one time I really felt sorry for RG was when he appeared on that big benefit gig for princess Di. For some reason they had a 5 min slot that needed filling at the last minute and sent poor ricky out on stage. He's not a stand up and doesn't do "off the cuff" and it turned into proper car crash TV. Anyone else remember that?
  • Options
    I like the guy. He's made some if the funniest sit coms in recent years and he's brightened up some of the dullest award ceramonies.
    Those who find the word Mong offensive are to precious to get comedy anyway.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Love some of his programmes but find him an odious man. Most annoying laugh I've ever heard.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    He's not much cop at stand-up stuff or live on stage.
    But he does have a very real talent for TV Studio and comedy acting etc, as can be seen by The Office.
    Tony Hancock wasn't very funny as a solo stand up man........even the great John Cleese struggles with solo stand up stuff. So I guess it's horses for courses. With the advent of TV we now have many different kinds on folk who make us laugh.....but I wonder should we really be calling them comedians. More comedy actors I suppose.
    As a comedian in the 'purset sense of the word' I agree he's not much cop though.
  • Options
    I also wouldn't class him as a comedian, but a clever writer...........
  • Options

The one time I really felt sorry for RG was when he appeared on that big benefit gig for princess Di. For some reason they had a 5 min slot that needed filling at the last minute and sent poor ricky out on stage. He's not a stand up and doesn't do "off the cuff" and it turned into proper car crash TV. Anyone else remember that?
    you're either recalling one of his jokes or you chose an unfortunate set of words! :-)
  • Options
    Find him as funny as toothache! Also think he is an arrogant pillock. You will gather that l don't like him.
  • Options
    He has created one of the greatest British Sitcoms in years, the Office was brilliant and still is. Extra's wasn;t as funny but was still a hit, he can't be that awful if that many stars turned up for it! He is a comedy genius, and excellent writer, maybe not the greatest stand-up but still does a decent enough job at it. But I suppose that's just my opinion..... and the millions of others that follow his tweets, watch the office/extras/idiot abroad/lifes too short.
  • Options

you're either recalling one of his jokes or you chose an unfortunate set of words! :-)
    Good spot Suzi...
  • Options
    Find it difficult to bear him. Classic case of say something offensive and call it irony. Liked the Office, everything I've seen since them is just the bloke in the pub who thinks he's funny and won't shut up.
  • Options
    I like him
  • Options
    Nob can't stand his stand up. But for me like Russel Brand his real genius is his conversations with Stephen and Karl. Just don't let the radio egotistical, bullying persona bastard loose without the check of his more decent mates.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think he's a bit of an arrogant little sort but I generally end up feeling sorry for him as he tends to be on the receiving end of a lot of criticism that other comics don't get. Most likely because of the aforementioned arrogance. The burying he got for that awards ceremony (Golden Globes was it?) where he ribbed a few multi-millionaire actors and award winning film makers was ridiculous. Tom Hanks looked like he was genuinely horrified that a comedian hired to make the proceedings entertaining had tried to make the proceedings entertaining. The only thing that bothered me was that the material wasn't very funny, but frankly I've been on his side after that just because these Hollywood types need to get over themselves
  • Options
    Find it difficult to bear him. Classic case of say something offensive and call it irony. Liked the Office, everything I've seen since them is just the bloke in the pub who thinks he's funny and won't shut up.

I don't think that he could be described any better than that tbh

• Options
    I also wouldn't class him as a comedian.....
    That's rich coming from you! ;-)

• Options
    Or they know where the word (and the accompanying facial expression) comes from, possibly know people with Downs Syndrome, and are concerned that the kind of dickheads that already abuse the disabled will see it as legitimising their behaviour. After all, "it's only a joke, right"? Comedy doesn't have to be safe and inoffensive all the time, but using some of the most vulnerable in society as the butt of your jokes isn't funny.
  • Options
    The burying he got for that awards ceremony (Golden Globes was it?) where he ribbed a few multi-millionaire actors and award winning film makers was ridiculous.
    No it wasn't....it was everything he hoped for.

• Options
    He got 3 consecutive award shows doing that and whilst a few took offence, many took it in good grace. I thought he was excellent presenting those events too - Johnny Depp who he slagged off took it in good grace. Have a look on you tube, I bet you'll find him mildly amusing at least.
  • Options
    He got the bookings as they knew it would gain the awards more air time across the networks with his 'shock' comments.

Each to their own but he isn't for me.
  • Options
    Or they know where the word (and the accompanying facial expression) comes from, possibly know people with Downs Syndrome, and are concerned that the kind of dickheads that already abuse the disabled will see it as legitimising their behaviour. After all, "it's only a joke, right"? Comedy doesn't have to be safe and inoffensive all the time, but using some of the most vulnerable in society as the butt of your jokes isn't funny.
    oh dear
  • Options
    The office was great - anyone tried a David Brent impression - not the voice but just the constructs, positioning and choice of words?

Cemetary Junction - wonderful - surprised no-one mentioned it so far

And then there's his compare work at the US awards - very surprised they asked him back

Not up on twitter but might just take a look spurred on by this thread so thanks Dave 21
  • Options

What vulnerable person was he using as the butt of he's jokes?
    He's already said it wasn't used in that context and it wasnt aimed at anyone with down syndrome .
    I'm not here to defend gervais , he's big enough and ugly enough to defend himself .
    ( no offense to big or ugly people )