Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Olden Days

Saturday's postponement caused me to cast my mind back to Boxing Day 1970.
When Men Were Men?
I remember the lines marked out in blue and the Southampton keeper building a tee out of snow when taking goal kicks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XarZj2eehc

Comments

• Options
    I enjoyed that. If only football hadn't got so up itself, we'd still be able to enjoy games like this.
  • Options
    I was actually at that game!

My Uncle was a gooner nut and took me and my bruv to games all around London in those days. Not just Arsenal games, when they were away he'd pick the best London match and we'd go and watch it.

Two of my fondest memories were seeing Arsenal beat Man Utd 3-0 (Best, Law, Charlton etc) and The Leeds Machine of Bremner, Giles, Lorimer, Hunter etc whack Spurs at White Hart Lane.

He used to take a wooden box, about the size of a milk crate, for me to stand on so I could see.
  • Options
    When goalkeepers could catch a ball ,just take alook at his gloves,how times change.Going out to play football for afew bob,make nomistake players today just would not play in these conditions today.Some people think football is better today ,think again boys.
  • Options
    My dad took me to Highbury (North Bank) and I had a wooden stool to enable me to see the game.