Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

brighton rock on bbc2

missed it, will be watching it on iplayer tonight, anyone watch it and was it any good?, have seen the original with sir dickie attembrough and was looking forward to see the remake set amongst the mods and rockers. Is it worth watching or garbage?

Comments

• Awful compared to original

• Didn't see it all and haven't seen original, or read the book, but worth a watch I reckon.
    The Regency cafe in Victoria makes an appearance, which was nice.
  • The original film was very good but had a different ending than the book. Graham Greene (my favourite author) decided the ending to his novel would not be passed by the censors of the day and so changed it.
    I'm not sure how the new film ends but I do know that the story is set in the 60's rather than the 1940's like the original. Somone I know who saw it thought it was "obviously made by someone who wanted to make their own Quadraphenia." I can't comment as I haven't seen it. Didn't know the Beeb had shown it and will also try and catch it on i-player.
  • it was ok only watch if you have nothing else to do.
  • Despite the diferent ending the original captured the mood of the book; something the new film failed to do. The book captured the spirit of the 50's; setting the latest film in the 60's was to my mind a mistake. But that being said if you haven't read the book or seen the original its not a bad watch, so if you can get it on iPlayer give it a go.
  • Not a patch on the original but far from bad. If you haven't seen the first version then you'll enjoy it more, I've seen both and read the book and still found it okayish. Changing the setting/time does not help in the slightest as others have said.
  • I've never read the book and saw the original at least 20 years ago. Taking this version on it's own merits, rather than as a comparison, I really enjoyed it. Don't really get the comparison with Quadrophenia. Okay, it's got mods & rockers fighting on the beach but this is a very small part of it.

Anyone who hasn't seen the original and likes British movies, watch it. You'll see far worse coming out of Hollywood.

For those who have seen the original and/or read the book, I'd still say it's worth watching...............
  • Despite the diferent ending the original captured the mood of the book; something the new film failed to do. The book captured the spirit of the 50's; setting the latest film in the 60's was to my mind a mistake. But that being said if you haven't read the book or seen the original its not a bad watch, so if you can get it on iPlayer give it a go.
    Good trick if you can do it as it was written in the 1930's!

I quite enjoyed it actually tbf and didn't really expect to.
  • It was okay. I think if I had not read the book, I would have been struggling to get a handle on Pinkies character and his relationship with Rose. It felt a bit hurried in the plot, and yet at times overlong. I know that makes no sense.
  • The strange thing is Algarve, I know what you mean. ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• It was okay. I think if I had not read the book, I would have been struggling to get a handle on Pinkies character and his relationship with Rose. It felt a bit hurried in the plot, and yet at times overlong. I know that makes no sense.
    exactly .. and a touch of the 'quadrophenias' in the new version ..
  • I enjoyed it. In terms of style (and acid in the face) it reminded me of a late '60s gangster TV series which (for the time) was very violent. But I can't now remember what it was called.
  • Ah, okay somewhere from the recesses of my brain I got the title: Big Breadwinner Hog. Just looked it up on Wiki, oddly Peter Egan played a violent gangster!