Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Sopranos (final episode)

I have just finished watching The Sopranos and was a little surprised how the final episode ended. I have googled it and there are some interesting theorys out there so I was wondering what those lifers who watched it thought of the ending.

Please discuss

Comments

• Options
    I had to rewind it a couple of times thinking that the dvd had jumped.
  • Options
    Me too, when it went blank I thought it had jammed
  • Options
    or just to hear your fav song again rich? as you start with the jazz hands..
  • Options
    Think that's the case for the ending of more or less every episode.
    Love it
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I like a theory that is out saying we, the audience got "whacked" in the diner. Earlier in the series Tony & Bobby were fishing and discussing what it feels like to get "whacked".

They discussed the fact you probably dont hear it coming and it just goes black, exactly what happened to us, the audience in the diner.
  • Options
    Tony gets whacked in the diner.

• Options

I think you need to expand on that a little, why do you think that?
  • Options
    one theory is that we the audiance got whacked, you get invited somewhere nice and quite and then whack it goes black as one of them said in another episode, the other one is that tony is already dead and he is in some kind of heaven, "you always have to remember the good times" and sitting eating with your family is a good time. the guy who went to the toilet is also supposed to have whacked tony also, seriously theres hundreds of articles on the ending each one has a whacky or mad theory into the end.
  • Options
    I thought ended brilliantly .
  • Options
    my sky plus went up the shoot about a month a ago so have missed the last few - watched every one since it's been re shown before that- brilliant programme. Mate has the box set luckily.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Of course could be the feds coming to finally get him
  • Options
    I found it frustrating at the time it wasn't given proper closure, now I just think it is utter genius five years on, no one still knows and there are three or four highly credible possibilities.

Would love the creator one day to reveal the thinking behind it and the outcome, sadly don't.think that.will happen
  • Options
    Not with the talk still of a film
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Been watching them all again with the wife. Greatest programme ever.
  • Options

Suspects in the diner, screen goes blank.

Too much over analysing if it in my book.

I think you need to expand on that a little, why do you think that?
  • Options
    I found it frustrating at the time it wasn't given proper closure, now I just think it is utter genius five years on, no one still knows and there are three or four highly credible possibilities.

Spot on.
    Would love the creator one day to reveal the thinking behind it and the outcome, sadly don't.think that.will happen
    Some progs drag on and milk everything, I was gutted when the office finished as well but I will still watch it every Xmas knowing full well it would have just become crap,like a lot of well thought after programmes like only fools should have left it after the timepiece episode.

• Options
    New to Sopranos been watching on sky atlantic, how many series are there?
  • Options
    there is so much shite on tv these days to have a programme that leaves you thinking and contemplating what may have happend was genius. the american publics reaction was hilarious, where they dont have much imagination and brains they went mad at the ending.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSL-zRHfyss
  • Options
    New to Sopranos been watching on sky atlantic, how many series are there?
    6, however series 6 is in 2 parts.
  • Options
    Thanks lads, a good mix of thoughts. It looks as if a lot of you have already been through what I am going through today but as a newbie to The Sopranos I have only just finished watching it.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thanks eastandmike, just starting series 5 so a little way to go. I love it, regret not watching before.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Love a topical thread ;-)

He got whacked by the fella in the "Members Only" Jacket who went into the bathroom. An earlier episode on a boat on a lake he and Bobby discuss what it is like getting whacked and say you dont even hear it coming. The camera is from Tony's POV and goes black when he gets shot with Journey playing in the background.
  • Options
    Brilliant programme, brilliant ending.

Sadly I think Tony got whacked - there's a lot of extra reasons as to why out there - like Meadow taking three attempts to park, and succeeding third time/Tony being shot at twice before, it looking last the last supper, but the big one for me was the talk with Bobby before about it all going black.

The progrmamme was Tony's programme, he dies, sudden ending.
  • Options
    This.

Think we're just used to big dramatic endings Hollywood style, and when something different comes along, it just knocks the planet slightly off the axis, which is a good thing..............
  • Options

- like Meadow taking three attempts to park, and succeeding third time.
    Not watched the episode for a few years, but what's the Meadow angle ?
  • Options
    I didn't like it. If I want to think of TV endings I would spend the evening day dreaming. Lazy!
  • Options
    She tried parking twice and failed, then succeeded the third time. People have read into it that it's a metaphor for people trying to kill Tony twice (before), failing, and succeeding (this) third time.
  • Options

- like Meadow taking three attempts to park, and succeeding third time.
    Not watched the episode for a few years, but what's the Meadow angle ?
    Meadow was outside trying to park, the first time she hit the kerb so pulled out and tried again, same again second time then finally did it on the third attempt.

All this was going on whilst Tony and the rest of the family sat inside looking at the menu and eating onion rings, its almost as if she should have been there but missed it.

It goes black when Meadow "supposidly" comes through the door of the diner?
  • Options
    She tried parking twice and failed, then succeeded the third time. People have read into it that it's a metaphor for people trying to kill Tony twice (before), failing, and succeeding (this) third time.
    Blimey, I did not think this would get this deep, I can see now why people think this is very clever writing because you can take the ending in a lot of directions.
  • Options
    Watching meadow grow up through the series was also nice to see :)