Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sky box advice

I remember someone on here used to work for Sky and confirmed they give new boxes etc to existing customers?

If anyone can help, a bit of advice please? My ex moved out of our old house, I've moved back in and want to sort Sky, but there's still some time left on the contract. However, Sky box has gone with her. All in my name.
They've told me nothing they can do without the box etc.

As they offer new boxes to those that threaten to cancel, wouldn't I be able to ask for the same? Cheers in advance!

Comments

• Options
    I doubt it, but good luck asking them.

They wouldn't even replace my remote control when the old one stopped working - despite me telling them that it if my red button was working I'd be able to buy more shit from them and they'd get their money back within a week. Was on the verge of cancelling, but have been told that Virgin is crap.
  • Options
    When Sky replaced our box they said that the would be taking the old one away. And they did (even though it was 7 years old....)
  • Options
    That's what I was afraid of! I was hoping the 'I have no Sky box, so will have to cancel, but if you can give me one I'll stay a customer and you'll make loads more' might work!

Will give it a try anyway, but not too hopeful. Think as there's 6 months left to pay they know I can't really do much about it.
  • Options
    ebay
    Not a bad shout. We're hoping my current mrs's parents have their old one still.
  • Options
    You could always ring them and ask for an upgrade to Sky +, HD, or whatever.

When they come round with it feign amazement that the old one is suddenly "missing" from it's spot under the telly.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I doubt it, but good luck asking them.

They wouldn't even replace my remote control when the old one stopped working - despite me telling them that it if my red button was working I'd be able to buy more shit from them and they'd get their money back within a week. Was on the verge of cancelling, but have been told that Virgin is crap.
    Recently switched from Virgin to Sky and have to say that i wish I never had. Sky customer service just does not exist. We had someone knock on the door tell us we could get everything we have now plus more for the same price.

We have no where near what we had with Virgin. I phoned them and they said there was nothing they could do as the Feela that sold it to us had lied but DID NOT WORK FOR THEM?

I have rung them 3 times now and am still waitng for a call back.

Box office is a joke. If you don't subscribe to the movie channels you can't watch anything on them and are so limited to what you can purchase with it.
    With Virgin you just pay for the film you want.

Ring Virgin they will sort you out ASAP. (New remote delivered next day free of charge). Sky pretty much tell you tough shit you're tied in for a year.
  • Options
    ESPN comes free with the Virgin package.
  • Options
    There's a place locally (Bexley or Sidcup) I think that sells Sky HD boxes for £40. I got sent a link a while ago by a mate when he knew I was having problems with my box. Sky replaced mine. I'll try and dig the link out for you.
  • Options
    Been with Sky for years but toying with going over to Virgin Media. VM don't do Sports HD 3 & 4 or Sky Atlantic, will they be getting F1 HD?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2012
    I've a spare sky hd box sitting here FOC to a Charlton fan. PM me if you want it ; )
  • Options
    Been with Sky for years but toying with going over to Virgin Media. VM don't do Sports HD 3 & 4 or Sky Atlantic, will they be getting F1 HD?
    No, not unless you subscribe to Sky Sports through Virgin. Sky have sown it up that the cheapest way to watch it is purely for Sky HD subscribers only.
  • Options
    T.C.E. you're a legend, very nice of you. However... Just called them and managed to get through to a very nice lady at Sky who twisted the rules by adding multiroom, get a brand new bells and whistles box sent out, then cancel it! Also managed to knock £15 off my bill by changing packages and adding in Sky Sports! Very pleased.
  • Options
    And Vinnie I half agree on customer service - first guy I spoke to was so rude (for example he asked me a question, I tried to answer and he told me to stop interrupting!) that I asked to speak to his manager. She was very helpful though!
  • Options
    T.C.E. you're a legend, very nice of you. However... Just called them and managed to get through to a very nice lady at Sky who twisted the rules by adding multiroom, get a brand new bells and whistles box sent out, then cancel it! Also managed to knock
    £15 off my bill by changing packages and adding in Sky Sports! Very pleased.
    No worry's, glad your sorted ; )
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Did you make sure you cancelled the old sky card :)
  • Options
    When I upgraded to HD they just left me my old sky+ box, currently in the bottom of a cupboard
  • Options
    I'd like to help but firstly I need to know where you sit in the ground and what's your name?
  • Options
    Yep, threaten it, they gave me What I asked for in the end. If they don't, speak to someone else by calling back.
  • Options
    Razil, I did indeed, and Bolderhumprheyreid, West Stand and Paul Hayes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It doesn't matter how much I threaten sky about leaving, they keep giving me money off but won't sort out my broadband want to leave and go to Virgin, any advice on weather or not it would be a right move?
  • Options
    It doesn't matter how much I threaten sky about leaving, they keep giving me money off but won't sort out my broadband want to leave and go to Virgin, any advice on weather or not it would be a right move?
    Left Sky in December 2010 and been with Virgin ever since with no problems whatsoever. Broadband uptime has been pretty much 100% and at a decent speed (~20MB). TV is good, no problems with the V+ box etc. Only downside is that I don't get Sky Atlantic (which didn't exist when I left Sky).

• Options
    I have Virgin BB and it is fantastic.

Never had Sky, so I can't compare - but I will never go back to BT that's for sure.
  • Options
    I have been very critical of Virgin customer service on here but it does seem to have improved of late - my last call had a reasonable wait time and helpful person on the other end. Could be a fluke or could be starting to realise that this is an area where they were losing customers.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Few opinions on this was, as Im still making my mind up. I always had Virgin in last place and they certainly seem to offer more than Sky. Tho i found the customer services a bit frustrating to deal with.

http://www.charltonlife.com/discussion/47824/sky-v-virgin-media

• Options
    Threatened to leave Sky last month, they knocked 30 quid a month off my bill for the next 9 months.
  • Options
    I told sky unless they fixed my connection problems they can offer me my services free for two years and I still wouldn't stay.

Thanks for your help guys and the link Brenda. I have given them chance after chance and they keep messing me about got virgin coming to install phone 100mb broadband, a 1tb tivo box, a 500 mb tivo box and a v hd box with every channel available. Free installation, no initial fees to pay and half price for 6 months. Sounds good to me best thing is boxes do not have to be connected to phone socket which has been a thorn in my side with sky.
  • Options

Assume you're in a house rather than a flat Sadie? Also, has there been a Virgin service to the property before? Only asking because they can be a bit slapdash when cabling up from the street. Additionally, the cable for the broadband internally is coax (aerial) cable so unless you're running things wirelessly be aware that you'll have some fairly bulky cable around.

• Options
    Yes in a house, the people before had virgin and next door does too, a lot of cable possibly but can't be much worse than 100s of feet of phone cable extensions, splinters everywhere and Ethernet cables too.
  • Options

I know what you're saying but for your own sake, ask if they're doing any internal cabling and if so, ask how they're doing it. As a for instance, when I had my daughters bedroom cabled up for a second box, left to their own devices they'd have run it all round the house, drilled in at an inconvenient point and run around 12 feet of cable. I got the guy to push up the cable through the soffit and I dropped it down into the airing cupboard after running the cable across the loft. He only had to drill a small hole in the soffit and one in the airing cupboard and it was a much neater job. Compare that to the horror job we had when they installed broadband in our dining room. Just a thought.

Other than that, I've been really happy with Virgin and would only contemplate Sky if I moved elsewhere and no Virgin service was available.