Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Need new phone - suggestions

edited February 2012 in Not Sports Related
Currently have a knackered 32gb iphone, need to buy a new phone. Should i stick with iphone or get another smart phone. Looking for lowest cost and monthly charge but which will still hold 7000 music tracks and will sync with itune library with mac. Ideas please

Comments

• Options
    HTC Wildfire S is quite good, although can be tempremental at times
  • Options
    Had an iphone but was very disappointed with it's reliability especially with internet coverage. Switched to a HTC desire and things got much, much better.
  • Options
    but do they sync with itunes?
  • Options
    but do they sync with itunes?
    I believe they can do yes, well mine tried to
  • Options
    Can't go wrong with one of these...............
  • Options
    Kimbo

They do sync with your pc and therefore can get your music on them , but it is bloody difficult, I managed it once , but have never been able to do it again but HTC make cracking smart phones
  • Options
    Samsung galaxy S II, htc sensation xl, or the sony ericsson xperia arc s for android, or if your looking for something a bit different go into a store and ask to play with a windows phone. They are a bit marmite though.
  • Options
    Still got my iPhone 3GS......its been brilliant both here in Aus and back home, faultless, does everything I want, oh and its a phone.
  • Options
    Still got my iPhone 3GS......its been brilliant both here in Aus and back home, faultless, does everything I want, oh and its a phone.
    I love my iPhone 3GS too that is the problem. Wonder if I can get a reconditioned one. Don't see much point about getting a iPhone when it looks like 5 is on the horizon
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My advice is to get a reconditioned 3GS or 4, seeing as your music is on iTunes. Have a look at CEX and see what they are selling them for. You'll still get a fairly decent price for your old phone as well.

Problem with Android will always be fragmentation, they are good but you're never guaranteed to get the latest update. Whereas a 3GS is still a powerful phone, the Nexus one is basically defunct. Windows 7 phones look ok, but Windows 8 is due later this year (and your music is on a mac!)

Apple need to freshen up iOS though, make it more customisable.
  • Options
    Thanks BDL will check out CEX not sure who they are
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I've got a Galaxy S2. Very nice phone. Unfortunately, Kies which is Samsung's version of iTunes is possibly the worst piece of software ever written. Theres an android app called iSyncr which allows you to still sync with itunes for managing music etc although you don't get full functionality (you have to manually delete stuff from your phone and have to use kies to sync with outlook calander).

The great thing about Android phones is you can navigate around their memory without needing special software. And therefore you can drop itunes altogether or use a rival programme like media monkey. I'm no phone nerd but when I was looking into which one to get, the general buzz seemed to be that android is where the best innovation is now. Android supposedly outselling iPhones in north america now. Theres still a better range off apps on itunes but more stuff is coming to android all the time and you can use flash! I also like being able to put a micro sd card in the phone to expand the memory.

As I don't have a mac I can't comment on how compatable it is with one. Overall my general impression is that an iPhone is a bit easier to manage but you're limited to what Apple want to let you do with it. Android is more customisable and probably now the market leader but it needs more effort on your part. Plenty of web pages devoted to the subject of you want a more informed opinon.
  • Options
    The only computers I've had at work and home are Apple Macs and thus have always used iTunes. iPhone is therefore a no brainier for me.

If I used PCs however, things may be different and although operating system seems better, many people seem to choose the iPhone for prestige.

Exiled sums it up nicely.
  • Options
    http://uk.webuy.com/

• Options
    http://uk.webuy.com/

be carefull thoe as i got a blackberry from cex a couple of years ago, everything was great until the phone was completly blocked from use. Turns out that someone had nicked the phone and traded it in for cash, the police blocked me from using it, took it back to cex they were resonable with me and gave me a full refund.
    but has put me off cex a bit !

• Options
    I have a HTC desire nothing but trouble for a while as it got a virus. The worse thing about these though is the memory, as it is a windows phone it uses alot to begin with and they only give you a 4gb memory card with it so not leaving much room for apps and music, you can fit them with anything upto 32gb cards though. The great thing about the HTC is the ease of web surfing just like a computer really. Beware of the wildfire though as it looks pretty but it is the more affordable version of the desire and is lacking a lot more as a result. Good luck.
  • Options
    Galaxy S2 is a quality bit of kit. When I was upgrading a little while ago I couldn't justify the expense and went for the Galaxy W instead, which is pretty much a budget S2. The monthly contract was a third of the S2 and its still a very nice phone

I won't have anything Apple on principle
  • Options
    Galaxy S2 is a quality bit of kit. When I was upgrading a little while ago I couldn't justify the expense and went for the Galaxy W instead, which is pretty much a budget S2. The monthly contract was a third of the S2 and its still a very nice phone

I won't have anything Apple on principle
    Principle?
  • Options
    I have got a desire and apart from battery life love it. My daughter has just got Desire S and is very happy with it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I can do you a silver and gold pay-monthly special at a really good price. £5 a month unlimited calls but sadly no texts or internet. Whisper me if interested.

• Options
    Depends, if you want a phone which will be up to date, have decent customer support, and a good app system, either the iPhone or a Windows Phone like a Lumia 800. Only Android I would ever touch is a Nexus

If you want to fiddle with your phone and never get it updated, runs a system which will chew battery, get a Samsung or HTC.
  • Options
    I am up for upgrade in a couple of months, and you guys told me to get a HTC desire and I love it, it has a few moments where it will call someone who is not the person I selected and Is not the closest name in the phone book just a random ,

It has also sent a text message to people who I was not texting , so for example I am having a text conversation with the wife and it will send a copy of the message to others but not show up on the messages that you have sent them ( the bit where you can see all texts sent to that person)

Fortunately nothing I care if someone else reads but it could be quite a shit situation if your texts go wrong like that

So I will be seriously looking into what phone I get next ,

We might all be getting iPhones as our work phone which will save the issue so I might just get a shite phone for my personal phone and get a free ps3 or something
  • Options
    I am up for upgrade in a couple of months, and you guys told me to get a HTC desire and I love it, it has a few moments where it will call someone who is not the person I selected and Is not the closest name in the phone book just a random ,

It has also sent a text message to people who I was not texting , so for example I am having a text conversation with the wife and it will send a copy of the message to others but not show up on the messages that you have sent them ( the bit where you can see all texts sent to that person)

Fortunately nothing I care if someone else reads but it could be quite a shit situation if your texts go wrong like that

So I will be seriously looking into what phone I get next ,

We might all be getting iPhones as our work phone which will save the issue so I might just get a shite phone for my personal phone and get a free ps3 or something
    Sounds like a total nightmare, quite how you've managed to pass those horrible malfunctions off as something trivial I have yet to figure out.

• Options
    Love HTC Desire HD. Vodafone are right up to date with the os updates. Love the freedom android gives you. Hate the battery with a vengence. Can never get more than 10-12 hours.

Due an upgrade in September and will have a real dilema.
  • Options
    Love HTC Desire HD. Vodafone are right up to date with the os updates. Love t

he freedom android gives you. Hate the battery with a vengence. Can never get more than 10-12 hours.

Due an upgrade in September and will have a real dilema.
    Is that the new HTC Real Dilemma Clem ?

• Options
    OA it has happened no more than 5 times in 24 months and the first couple of times I convinced myself that it was me making an error ,

It was only when a pal whose name begins with j answered a call for a pal who begins with B and the j named pal I had not spoken to in months did I realise it was a phone issue,

The text thing is the biggest concern but seeing as I am upgrading I ain't that fussed tbh , but I do worry that it will bite me on the arse so I am very careful what I put in text and rather phone call instead
  • Options
    Got one of the new Samsung Galaxy Notes for Xmas. Went into the shop to get an iPhone 4S, but came out with that - and am very, very pleased with that decision! There's nothing on iPhones that I can't do on Android (plus most of the apps & games), and you can just slot in a micro SD expand storage. Also has a HD screen, and replaceable battery.
    It does look a bit on the big side to start with, but tbh I rarely talk on my "phone" - spend more time surfing & playing games, for which it's amazing!
  • Options
    Got one of the new Samsung Galaxy Notes for Xmas. Went into the shop to get an iPhone 4S, but came out with that - and am very, very pleased with that decision! There's nothing on iPhones that I can't do on Android (plus most of the apps & games), and you can just slot in a micro SD expand storage. Also has a HD screen, and replaceable battery.
    It does look a bit on the big side to start with, but tbh I rarely talk on my "phone" - spend more time surfing & playing games, for which it's amazing!
    I must admit, i have looked at one and thought maybe I should get rid of my tablet and phone and replace them with one device, but I have been put off by the size of it when you hold it up to your ear. Best thing to do I suppose is use the hands-free headphones, but that looks like you're talking to yourself, and that tiny reason is why I don't own a Note.
  • Options
    I must admit, i have looked at one and thought maybe I should get rid of my tablet and phone and replace them with one device, but I have been put off by the size of it when you hold it up to your ear. Best thing to do I suppose is use the hands-free headphones, but that looks like you're talking to yourself, and that tiny reason is why I don't own a Note.
    Fair enough. Would just add that you do get used to it pretty quickly. The mic to speak into positions directly by your mouth (rather than half way up your cheek) so if anything it's more practical. It just might look or feel odd at first. I probably only make or receieve around 4-5 calls a week, so wasn't a big consideration.