Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Headcorn, Kent

edited January 2012 in General Charlton
What is Headcorn like? Any good pubs or places to visit? I just tried looking on wikipedia but it doesn't say much.

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    It's good for parachuting.
  • Options
    Still get the shivers when Headcorn is mentioned and the thought of jumpin out of a plane!
  • Options
    What is Headcorn like? Any good pubs or places to visit? I just tried looking on wikipedia but it doesn't say much.

Cheers
    went to school at sutton valence just up the road, had a girlfriend who lived in headcorn as well. It's alright, not much there tbh. You get the collection of low lifes that will not ever make their way out of the village (because they can't be arsed to work, not in the good way like in the old days). There's one big pub in the "centre" i seem to remember. Really nice round there in the summer though. Great memories...

• Options
    Cracking Sunday lunch just out of town in Smarden.... http://www.thechequerssmarden.com/
  • Options
    If you goto the aerodrome on a nice day you might be lucky enough to see the Spitfire or Mustang buzzing about.
  • Options
    Nice little village...plenty of pubs around the general area.
  • Options
    Blimey, this thread takes me back a few years when I did my one and only parcchute jump. Never been so nervous as I was going up in the plane thinking I was going to be jumping out of it a few minutes later. But I survived.

And the pub we went to after the jump was The Chequers at Smarden!
  • Options
    Made me feel all homesick..........
  • Options
    Had quite a few big fires there. Nice enough Indian. Biddenden has a great pub and is only just up the road
  • Options
    Very good Golf Club (Weald of Kent) nearby!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cheers I might have to check it out. I wanna visit more rural areas of Kent and just wanted some feedback. I trust they do Spitfire bitter in the pubs?
  • Options
    No idea about the Spitfire. Tenterden is also nice. Cranbrook and Goudhurst also have a fair bit to offer as well (a tad biased about Cranbrook).
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Lovely little pub in Benenden/Iden Green tucked away down a little country lane on the way to Sandhurst........if you don't know it's there you'd never find it.....The Woodcock......wonderful Inglenook log fire, low beamed ceiling, lovely garden in the summer, good food and beers, 17th century.
    Not been there for a while but it's one of my favourites.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Lovely little pub in Benenden/Iden Green tucked away down a little country lane on the way to Sandhurst........if you don't know it's there you'd never find it.....The Woodcock......wonderful Inglenook log fire, low beamed ceiling, lovely garden in the summer, good food and beers, 17th century.
    Changed hans (hands, not strange Germanic owners) a few times since I was last there.

Red Lion in Biddenden, The George in Cranbrook and the Star and Eagle are very similar, plus whilst the exterior of the Goudhurst Inn is a prison block grey they do nice food

• Options
    Lovely little pub in Benenden/Iden Green tucked away down a little country lane on the way to Sandhurst........if you don't know it's there you'd never find it.....The Woodcock......wonderful Inglenook log fire, low beamed ceiling, lovely garden in the summer, good food and beers, early 17th century.
    Changed hans a few times since I was last there.

Red Lion in Biddenden, The George in Cranbrook and the Star and Eagle are very similar, plus whilst the exterior of the Goudhurst Inn is a prison block grey they do nice food

• Options
    get the impression that not a lot goes in in Headcorn itself but there is a railway station there ...the high st has a little charm although the surrounding villages smarden,marden pluckley etc have more of rural feel in my opinion ..i ll look out for that pub sound as!
  • Options
    My wife suggested many years ago that we should buy a small place in Headcorn in order to save money. There was good reason for this. In those days I used to drink a lot more than I do now. I always seemed to fall asleep at least once a week on a train and end up at - HEADCORN. She ended up on first name terms with the cab company local to the station she used to call to get me a cab home. Was about £70 then to get home. I seem to remember a large car park and very little else.
  • Options
    Mum and dads pub the worlds wonder is in Warehorn not far away
  • Options
    I lived in Headcorn 1969-1973. We had a good football team that in those days which played in the Maidstone and District Premier Division. I travelled 10 miles to school every day in Maidstone (mostly to play Black Queen in Bettys cafe!). Headcorn was great at the time, pubs, fishing, dances (saw Chicory Tip play Biddenden; Move etc at the Maidstone Art college); and fast trains to London. Everyone knew everyone but its a lot bigger now.
  • Options
    I lived in Headcorn 1969-1973. We had a good football team that in those days which played in the Maidstone and District Premier Division. I travelled 10 miles to school every day in Maidstone (mostly to play Black Queen in Bettys cafe!). Headcorn was great at the time, pubs, fishing, dances (saw Chicory Tip play Biddenden; Move etc at the Maidstone Art college); and fast trains to London. Everyone knew everyone but its a lot bigger now.
    Haha Chicory Tip. My mates dad was the drummer. True story.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So.....he is......*giggle*.....the.........Son of His Father !