Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

'Our aim is to be as big as QPR'

edited February 2007 in General Charlton
Was what Richard Murray once said.

Well, look set to sack their manager, two backroom staff have been suspended, the clubs auditors have resigned after holes found in the books.

Relegation, administration, and a 10-point penalty looms.

Comments

• I thought you were quoting Simon Jordon !!
  • didn't he also say the same about leicester? or was that curbs?
  • I definitely remember Norwich being held up as an example to follow.

That said, QPR stand as a warning as to what can happen if you get relegated from the Premiership and find yourself woefully run.
  • edited February 2007
    Richard Murray referred to Norwich and QPR not too long after the return to The Valley as they were then established top half "second" division clubs.

Curbs referred to Leicester and Derby as (then) established Prem Clubs we should try to emulate when we were promoted (the second time around I think).
  • When Uncle Les was in charge I thought we were still trying to emulate Norwich, Leicester and QPR.
  • [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]When Uncle Les was in charge I thought we were still trying to emulate Norwich, Leicester and QPR.

lol!!!!
  • edited February 2007
    could be worse. we could've modelled our club like this lot from just six years ago yesterday.
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Richard Murray referred to Norwich and QPR not too long after the return to The Valley as they were then established top half "second" division clubs.

Curbs referred to Leicester and Derby as (then) established Prem Clubs we should try to emulate when we were promoted (the second time around I think).
  • maybe we should give the 'kiss of death' to the likes of arsenal, spurs, chelsea etc and watch them take a nosedive as a result...
  • And what about all the clubs over the past few years who have said they want to emulate us?
  • [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]And what about all the clubs over the past few years who have said they want to emulate us?

what they've really meant is they want to do it on the cheap...but what they never take into account is what happened at charlton was the result of the wilderness years, the right people coming together and the back to the valley factor...and not wishing to take anything awaty from curbs but he was in the right place at the right time...emulating charlton would take a lot more than just trying to balance the books as you progressed...
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2007
    [cite]Posted By: ltgtr[/cite]
    [cite] and not wishing to take anything awaty from curbs but he was in the right place at the right time

that's harsh, and inaccurate.

Curbs stability, ability to sign first team players for £300-£750k, and get a unit playing above themselves for a number of years was the MAIN driving factor in where we were today. He has fantastically backed by a superb, stable boardroom.

I really do think a lot of people are letting the current predicament cloud their judgement on what was an amazing period
  • edited February 2007
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ltgtr[/cite]
    [cite]and not wishing to take anything awaty from curbs but he was in the right place at the right time[/cite]
    [cite]

that's harsh, and inaccurate.

Curbs stability, ability to sign first team players for £300-£750k, and get a unit playing above themselves for a number of years was the MAIN driving factor in where we were today. He has fantastically backed by a superb, stable boardroom.

I really do think a lot of people are letting the current predicament cloud their judgement on what was an amazing period[/cite]

all that's been achieved so far wasn't down to one man's ability to buy a player on the cheap...and as i said, i dont want to take anything away from curbs but, the season before we went up we struggled, the football was dire but the ground was noisy, we had target 10,000, we then had a massive stroke of luck in getting players like mendonca, kinsella and mills to add to those players that came through the back to the valley struggle and gave 100% week in, week out, and the play-off, relegation was tempered by the fact that only mills left and 20k fans packed out the valley every week and we had the likes of kinsella and parker and a packed and expanding valley to play in front of...has a curbs team recovered from the loss of midfield maestro like bowyer, kinsella or parker running the game ? the answer to that imho is no so you have to say he was in the right place at the right time had the key circumstances and the right key players...when he wasn't able to replace the key player the football became dire...
  • you can't call it luck that he signed mendonca , kinsella and mills..... was dowie unlucky when he signed traore, pouso and co
  • edited February 2007
    The quote from Murrey was in response to the question from the Chair of Bromely CASC at a meeting held on the night he took over as Chairman of the club (mid way thru the 1994/5 season If i remember right).

At the end of the night he was asked "where do you see the club in ten years time?" and "he replied on a level with QPR and Norwich" who were both in the top division and challenging in cups and for Europe. Me and most of the other people in the room thought this was a good target.

At the end of the following season Richard came back to what was then Bromely CASC (as he has every year since) and the Chair introducing him reminded everyone that he had wanted us to be on a level with QPR and Norwich and he had acheived this. Cue laughter all round as they had just both been relegated.
  • [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]you can't call it luck that he signed mendonca , kinsella and mills..... was dowie unlucky when he signed traore, pouso and co

of course it luck if the player turns out as great as they did....and its just bad luck when he signs the likes of redfern and rowett and it doesn't work out...
  • [cite]Posted By: ltgtr[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]you can't call it luck that he signed mendonca , kinsella and mills..... was dowie unlucky when he signed traore, pouso and co

of course it luck if the player turns out as great as they did....and its just bad luck when he signs the likes of redfern and rowett and it doesn't work out...

How can you call that luck. It was good judgement. Rowett and Redfern didn't work but nearly all the other signings did. I think that tells you that his judgement was right more often than not. He also bought a lot of players with good charecter (powell, Stuart and many more).
  • In terms of return on what he paid for them:

Good return

Mendonca
    Mills
    Bent
    Powell
    Kinsella
    Kiely
    Hunt
    Robinson
    Stuart
    Illic
    Euell
    Thomas
    Nelson
    JJ
    Bartlett
    Young
    Youds
    Murphy
    Holland
    Herman
    El Kak
    Kish
    Costa

Bad return

Redfearn
    O'Connell
    Rowett
    Poole
    Bradley Allen

??? who else ?
  • Good:
    Fish (most of the time!)
    CJ - how could you forget the wonderful Claus?
  • Bad:
    Bent (M) - getting better, but for the last 12 months has been worht nowhere near £2.5m
  • edited February 2007
    Good: Chris Perry

Bad: Franny Jeffers

Harsh to include Poole and Rowett on the bad list IMHO as it was injury that did for them rather than poor performance.

Were Steve Gatting and Bumstead Curbs signings or late Lennie?

If Curbs two more for the "Good" list.
  • Sponsored links:

• Robbie Mustoe
    Jesper Blomquist
    (both in the "good" category!)

Seriously though, you should include people like Simon Webster and even Paul Gorman in the good category. Webbo was brilliant, and Gorman did ok for what we paid him!
  • edited February 2007
    If we are talking about bad signings then we must mention

_1991461_pringle_300.jpg
  • Prings was good for us. Shame he didn't come a few months earlier as we might have stayed up that year.

Plus he scored a winner v Palace so is forgiven almost anything like Denis.
  • Was what Richard Murray once said.

Well, look set to sack their manager, two backroom staff have been suspended, the clubs auditors have resigned after holes found in the books.

Relegation, administration, and a 10-point penalty looms.

Sometimes things in football come full circle. They appear to be in a very similar position to 8 years ago, almost to the day.

Do we still want to emulate them. Hmmmmm