Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Garden/lawn Advice

DA9DA9
edited January 2012 in Not Sports Related
Can anyone suggest a weed & feed that actually works?

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    You growing weed?
  • Options
    lol
  • Options
    You ask this five minutes before kickoff?
  • Options
    Thats one for Paddy Powel
  • Options
    hi mate, best stuff i have used for lawns is , elliotts weed, feed, and mosskiller, apply early april when conditions are dry and warmer
  • Options
    Try Green Thumb. They treat my lawn every 3 months, 2 treatments gets rid of all moss and weeds and greens it up.
  • Options
    Which one have you used so far?
  • Options
    It's too early to use it, Manufacturers guidelines are April - September, Evergreen Complete is what I use , although Scott's Weed and Feed is good ( slow release) but more expensive per square metre.

If you have a small lawn ie less than 100m2 then there is Evergreen Feed & weed which can be applied in a watering can, but again don't do it till April.
  • Options
    Cheers guys, I know its too early, but wanted to get an idea etc.
  • Options
    Suspicious minds
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Mist....any tips or help on stockists for Elliotts Weed/feed, tried googling but all seems to be online delivery only.

Cheers
  • Options
    Verdone zaps dandelions and clover: widely available.
  • Options
    Get the wife to do it and if it goes wrong blame her.
  • Options
    Has anybody got one of those artificial lawns
  • Options
    Has anybody got one of those artificial lawns
    My partner at work has, bloody expensive but they just "hoover" it now instead of mowing it.
  • Options
    Set about sorting out the bald patches and generally boosting the lawn a few weeks ago - made the mistake of buying grass seed from B&Q. Same result as five years ago when i last bought it from B&Q - been ten days now and nothing - i'm sure its bird seed or about 5 years out of date. Have saved some and will be going down there to get my money back. Got some out of morrisons yesterday - its good and always works but i forgot as haven't bothered the last few years.
  • Options
    Somehow I knew you'd be on this thread. The fact that your online moniker isn't "The Lawnmower Man" is the biggest surprise.
  • Options
    Set about sorting out the bald patches and generally boosting the lawn a few weeks ago - made the mistake of buying grass seed from B&Q. Same result as five years ago when i last bought it from B&Q - been ten days now and nothing - i'm sure its bird seed or about 5 years out of date. Have saved some and will be going down there to get my money back. Got some out of morrisons yesterday - its good and always works but i forgot as haven't bothered the last few years.
    Does reseeding work then? will give it a try, just throw down the seed and water heavily before the hosepipe ban comes in?

Yes, I am that ignorant with this stuff, weed & feed before/after or during reseeding?

• Options
    Get your self a lawn scarifier, hard work if its a manual one, well worth the effort.
  • Options
    Somehow I knew you'd be on this thread. The fact that your online moniker isn't "The Lawnmower Man" is the biggest surprise.
    A pity such interest in matters horticultural hasn't run in the family!!

Miracle-Gro (for grass) also does what it says on the container. Re-seeding does work as long as the preparation is done properly and the right seed used: also if kids will be running about on it you need a harder wearing seed that can take a bit of punishment. Depends how much time you've got really: scarifying's a good idea as is ventilating the lawn (stick a garden fork in it every 3 or 4 feet and lifting slightly). JiMMy 85's right, I can be quite boring on this!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DA9DA9
    edited March 2012
    All advice greatly received

• Options
    Does reseeding work then? will give it a try, just throw down the seed and water heavily before the hosepipe ban comes in?

Yes, I am that ignorant with this stuff, weed & feed before/after or during reseeding?

The 'bald' areas that i re seed i rake over first to cut up a bit, then chuck the seed down mixed in with some compost and sharp sand and the water and then lay the goal nets over to deter the birds - important you keep the kids off for a few weeks though until it gets established - probably about 4 weeks minimum, which is one of the reasons i'm kicking myself for buying the same dud seed from B+Q - its hard to keep the kids off the lawn. I wouldn't put the weed and feed down until after the 4 weeks or so if you are trying to establish new grass from seed but i'm no expert - just trial and error over the years.
  • Options
    note - the sharp sand helps to aerate the soil as it works its way in and gives the roots a better chance to establish - the compost just enriches the soil a bit.
  • Options
    just given my lawn it's first cut of the year, it's looking the nuts at the moment....till the kids tear it to pieces
  • Options
    Just before Christmas I dropped around to see a friend I've not seen for a while, while I'm there I'm looking out his kitchen window and marvelling at how his lawn was weed free, cut to a short and neat height and how tidy it looked. He started laughing...it was then that I realised he's turfed his back garden up and put down astroturf.