Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Stargazing Live

Anyone else been watching? Absolutely fascinating in my opinion.

With that and Sherlock I've been pretty fine about paying the licence fee this week.

Comments

• i am so geeky, i love all this shit
  • Yeah, me too. The images of the moon, stars etc have been good, but the highlight for me has been all the scientist's opinions/explanations on the workings of the universe - so interesting.
  • Brilliant tv! And tonight it was stargazing and then horizon straight after on the same channel. Great to put my geek hat on :)
  • Would love to have seen it but I cannot watch that prat Brian Cocks. Who the **** does he think he is? He waffles on so matter of fact about millions of things, dispelling centuries of wisdom with unbacked trendy theroies. He's the equivilant of all these modern chefs who say things like you shouldn't cut a X at the bottom of a sprout or new doctors who say pregnant women shouldn't eat liver.
  • Anybody wishing to buy a telescope, send me a message. 5% discount for Lifers.
  • Your right Chirpy, I too think the sun revolves round the Earth which, of course, is flat.
    What do these academics know?
  • He does not back up anything he says with any evidence.
  • What's your evidence for saying that Chirpy?
  • Just a hunch........
  • Like it :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• This thread is also on owlstalk If the Wendies played away at Andromina Galaxy they would take thousands apparently
  • There are so big, they have their own black hole.
  • brian cox is a ledge

actually makes science extremely interesting and pretty easy to understand.
  • Have to agree with VG, Brian has made science accessable to many who had previously taken no interest through his approachable, patient style.

I also hear he thinks Chirpy Red is a d*ck?! Harsh Brian, harsh
  • Brain gaves us the best half time every, 10,000 singing "things can only get better". Pity it only lasted for 45 secs after.
  • Brian Cox is brilliant, I agree with Valley Gary, makes it very accessable.
  • Brian cox was in the band D-Reem, things can only get better one hit wonders..
  • "Brilliant tv! And tonight it was stargazing and then horizon straight after on the same channel. Great to put my geek hat on :)"

Agreed. Was gutted to find out the Spidergoat looked.......well.......just like every other goat though...
  • edited January 2012
    Love a bit of Prof Cox. Got a proper man crush going for him. A David Attenborough for the 21st century.
  • Sponsored links:

• Yeah Chirps...what does a Professor of Astronomy at one of the UK's top universities know about this kind of stuff? It's not like scientific understanding changes in the light of new evidence or anything, is it?

I'm sticking to what it says in my 30 year old 'Ladybird book of the Universe' - life was so much simpler then.....

I used to get annoyed by Prof Cox and his Manc whininess, but then I realised that he was bringing the enjoyment of scientific learning to lots of people who otherwise might not have taken an interest....so I now admire him for his accessible style and his in depth expertise of the subject. He's no Chirps in that department, though - but he does what he can!

• I look frequently as I have a computer controlled reflector.
  • edited January 2012
    Stargazing event at Charlton House / Park last night organised by the BBC with the Flamsteed Society, big attendance ... apparently a chance that a few minutes of last nights events may be shown on tonight's episode
  • I thought last week's Horizon on the Higgs Bosun partacle was pretty good- I actually understood it throughout which is a credit to the programme makers rather than me!
  • Find cox extremely annoying and have zero interest in the stars/physics
  • thanks for coming kimbo
  • Some of this is being filmed in my friend's tutor room at his school
  • Have only caught part of one episode ever and enjoyed it, but caught all talk, no stars. Generally interested in this stuff, so wish I could find more time to watch more.