Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Moving back to the Smoke.

Looks like there might be a move on back to the smoke after 5 years exile in Cornwall. Wahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! Pushing for SE - for all the right reasons - "rents are pretty good around the Charlton area" - except I say south east as saying "Charlton" would give the game away. Looking at moving maybe summer. Big upheaval - and partner is a chronic organiser - I'd be more likely to just pack up a van and go, but we have to have jobs and the right house (she doesn't want to live in a flat) and we have to be near a park..."south London's full of parks - you can't move for 'em!" She's only ever been to London with me on visits so more of an upheaval for her.

Comments

• Options
    "you cant move for em!"
    yeah i know, its like a bloody epidemic! trees, grass, the whole shebang.
  • Options
    big change for her. she ever lived in a city?
  • Options
    Welcome back. hopefully just in time to get yourself a season ticket before we get back to the prem and they are all sold out ;-)

Blimey, if she's from down there I'm not sure how much difference Charlton Park will make in easing the transition!
  • Options
    Me thinks the lady will be in for a bit of a shock, now let me see living in SE London or Cornwall???
  • Options
    Me thinks the lady will be in for a bit of a shock, now let me see living in SE London or Cornwall???
    Lol

It almost killed me when I had to do that from France.
  • Options
    Don't do it mate. Just don't do it!

Have a lay down, get up and have a look at the beach and the sea and hopefully you'll see sense!
  • Options
    Yep. Don't get me wrong everyone should experience living in a major city like London and there's loads to be said for it...CAFC for one...but having lived down here and a spell in France since '99 I wouldn't want to go back.

Younger members of my family have done the reverse and love it so I do think age is a factor as well.

Whatever, wish you both all the best in job and househunting and hope the move works out.
  • Options
    dont do it !
  • Options
    Stay.put.
  • Options
    Lol, oh yes, that was it!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Moved from London to Northumberland a few years ago. Born and bred South East London but will never go back. Love it up here. The way of life for me is much better. Wish you all the best in your decision.
  • Options
    What's your reasons for moving WMTicket?

It's God's own country down here in Cornwall, me loverrrrrrr ....... except finding well paid work can be a challenge.

I've been down here for 27 years and I love the quality of life. I've never even thought of going back to Kent.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Reasons:
    A job where you don't have to wait for your manager to die before you can take a step up the ladder,
    Having something else to do in the evening other than tv or pub,
    Feeling as though I am living in the 1950s
    Just miss city living - after 25 years of London and 5 years of Cornwall still never really felt this country life was me - even though I was brought up in the wilds of Lincolnshire.

My missus spent the first 35 years of her life in Coventry, so anywhere seems like Wonderland after that.

And, by no means least - the chance to see my beloved Addicks without having to spend £100 a night on a hotel and drive 5 hrs each way!

You're all making me nervous now!
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    There are plenty of places in the home counties where you can commute to work and also be in reach of a night out in town. You don't have to live in the middle of crimesville to enjoy the lights and sights of the city.
  • Options
    Just move a bit closer, like Devon. Cheap here in North Devon, no street lights, plenty of cow sh*t. Just a 5 hour drive each way for home matches. No trains as you will know.
  • Options
    I don't blame you for wanting to move back at all. The wife and i tried rural living for 6 years and it drove us nuts.
    Wev'e never been happier now wer'e back in SE London.
  • Options
    Wheresmeticket, you want Ladywell. 3 parks within easy walking distance, a bloody good curry house, nice pub, chippy, and the trains take only 10-15mins into London Bridge.
  • Options
    Your mad. stay in Cornwall.
  • Options
    I've made many mistakes in my life and the repercussions of some affect me today.

However leaving SE London when I did is not one of them.
  • Options
    Ive been gone 20 years in August and the lifestyle in the country far better.I would worry for the good lady only been to London for a day trip and the kids can go out and play safely.Plus the fact if I sold my four bedroom semi here Id be lucky to get a bedsit anywhere decent.
    What will your mrs do when she tries to speak to someone in the queue for the Post Office and they look at her if she has come off a different planet!
    The only thing I don't like is on a Saturday I cant get to the Valley and back in the day,although Ive heard a rumour this is to change soon.
    I would think very hard and long before even considering it!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I moved from Slade Green to Plymouth, I thought I started to miss the place, the people, the sounds, the football! (I mean watching argyle isnt football ;0) but then I went back up for a few visits, within about 2 hours of being back I realised how much better off I was- it's so much nicer here, the people, the sounds, the footba... :anyway, just my perspective for what it's worth.'good luck' whatever you do!
  • Options
    Funny how so many people assume that what's right for them must be right for everyone else.

Sounds to me like you have somoe pretty sound reasons for wantingto move back to London.
  • Options
    There are different levels of rural life.We are in a village with a pub,a post office,couple of shops and a butchers about 12 miles from two decent sized towns.I know of quite a few from the S.E move up and go for the whole hog rural and buy isolated redundant farm houses in the middle of nowhere and go mental with the complete solitude,the other thing is you have trouble leaving these houses as they are easy targets for house breakers.Something as simple as a pint of milk can result in a ten- fifteen mile round trip.I can see then why you would fancy the big city.I was lucky at one point me and ex wife looked at at an isolated farm house but thankfully her being local and being bought up in one talked me out of it!
  • Options
    Two words: Night bus.

London wins.
  • Options
    Depends I am a confirmed towny and whilst I like to visit the countryside I wouldn't want to live there I like the convenience of London and all the amenities, of course the downside is the traffic etc.
  • Options
    While it can sometimes drive me crackers, I do love the hustle, bustle, sights, sounds, history, etc, of London. South London born and bred, although I work in Camden. So in 30 mins, I'm going to walk through Primrose Hill and then round Regents Park.
  • Options
    I wonder whether if he was alive today Samuel Johnson wouls still say that a man who is tired of London is tired of life?

How was his journey all those years ago?!
  • Options
    Funny how so many people assume that what's right for them must be right for everyone else.

Sounds to me like you have somoe pretty sound reasons for wantingto move back to London.
    Spot on. I have recently moved back to London and I love it, where I was before (imo its a dive) I have a lot of good friends who will never ever leave there. Personal preference, what I want to do won't be the same for my firends that I have so much in common with. But that's life, get on with it, do whatever you want and don't worry about what others think.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Wheresmeticket, you want Ladywell. 3 parks within easy walking distance, a bloody good curry house, nice pub, chippy, and the trains take only 10-15mins into London Bridge.
    Used to live on Brockley Rise - Honour Oak Park. Thanks for all the responses pro and con. As I say me missus lived for 30 + years in Coventry so she knows about the down side of city living. Chance for her to see some of the +'es.
  • Options
    Whereabouts in Lincs were you brought up WMT?