Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England and Beckham

McClaren's worst nightmare already.

Would you recall him ?

Comments

• Because Hargreaves is out? What about giving Scott Parker a run out?
  • Lennon is out as well.

I would be very suprised (and disappointed) if Parker isn't called up.
  • What's the situation with Joe Cole? When he's back from injury he's an automatic selection. And there is Carrick to be considered too, I think Beckham is well down the order, even with injuries.
  • surely Scotty has to get a look now with Hargreaves injured...if he doesn't then I doubt he ever will !!

What's the betting P Neville fills the 'holding role'
  • If you remember Eltham, i was flagging Neville for that role for us before he went to Everton, and was laughed out of sight !

I think we also missed a trick this summer as well. With all their comings and goings, i'm pretty sure we could of picked up Tom Huddlestone off Spurs, and i think he will go on to be a superb centre mid.
  • I don't think Spurs will let Huddlestone go, a bit like us not selling Scott Parker in the early days when he was being eased into the First team and before he was a regular.
  • possibly now after a decent start in Europe, but he hardly featured at all last season and i'm sure they would of took a bid.

Mind you, i have no problem with Faye in that role at present.
  • I thought Huddlestone was more of a defender, and wasn't he at Derby orginally?
  • No to Beckham, simply because his presence changes the whole nature of the squad.
    I am afraid Parker won't be selected either - McClaren can go for Carrick, P Neville or Dedly in that holding role.

I hope I am wrong, I think like most of us now I see Scotty as one of ours and somebody to be proud of.
  • Agreed on Parker, he's grown up massively since going to Newcastle - and credit to Glenn Roeder for giving him the chance. It's still a tragedy he lost two years of his career by chasing the Chelsea chequebook, but at least he's starting to catch up with where he would have been if he'd stayed with us for another 6-18 months.

Anyone else think that Beckham's appearance at his Greenwich kiddies' bunker to give a load of soft interviews (oooh, poor little me, little Brooklyn loves his clothes and his football, oooh, here's me and my absurd stickwoman wife) vindicates McLaren't decision to drop him?

The only worry I suppose is if it goes wrong for Steve McLaren, and the soft interviews from his academy continue...
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2006
    beckham has excellent PR people working for him...call me cynical but I always saw his decision to step down as captain right after the world cup as more of a PR stunt to make it look like he was relinquishing the job rather than being sacked, which is what would have happened. Given that he was strongly associated with the last regime I think we'd have to down to the last few eligible midfielders to call him up, politically it would look bad for McClaren if he's trying to create his own side. Carrick, Parker & Joe Cole are ahead of him at least.