Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Talking About The

edited February 2007 in General Charlton
"Nice Guy" team on the other thread set me thinking about Curbs and the job he did for us.

I've banged the drum as loudly as anybody on his behalf and would never knock his achievements for us. BUT was he lucky in the personal qualities of the players that he had? In other words the type of guys who were naturally hardworking and professional like, in the early days, Webster, Gatting, Nelson. Later Robbo, Brown, Kinsella, Powell, Rufus later still Kish, Holland, HH, Powell again.

It could be argued that Curbs didn't simply buy footballers he bought men because he evaluated their personal qualities almost as much as their footballing abilities.

Could it be that he is having trouble at West Ham because he hasn't got the "right" type of player?

Comments

• Options
    this is not a dig at Curbs at all but...

i think Curbishley is not the right "type" of manager. The players that you have to manage nowadays are a millions miles away from what he has to manage 5-10 years ago. Other managers have adapted their management techniques, i don't think Curbishley has.
  • Options
    i'd say he done fine for us cos every season bar the relegation year we've finished in a reasonable position for a club of our stature, he's only been at west ham a short time so to judge him so quickly is a bit premature me thinks
  • Options
    Interesting point Len!

Its evident from reading his book that someones personality was almost as important as his footballing abilities.

It could it be that the pre-madonnas at WHFC dont share the same work ethic that Curbs likes to see in his players