Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Playing The Guitar

Comments

• Options
    PopIcon said:
    I've been playing the guitar for 25 years and am probably the best song writer on Charlton Life. The best piece of advice I can give to aspiring musicians is, don't sit on budget gear for years. I did, when I upgraded, I grew exponentially in talent.
    Not sure I agree, with guitars it's generally about how they are set up than perceived quality (from a playability perspective). One of my best ever guitars to play was a £200 Yamaha acoustic, set up by a guitar tech in Denmark street (the set up was almost as much as the guitar was worth!), similarly my old Epiphany Dot which played better than a £5k Gibson 335 custom shop.

Sure, the sound of the Yamaha wasn't as good as say my J45 or even a Taylor I had, but playability was better, same with the DOT, despite all upgraded electronics the Gibson still sounded better but I much preferred the dot every time as it just fitted me perfectly.

Whatever guitar you have, get it properly set up by someone who knows what they are doing.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    I've been playing the guitar for 25 years and am probably the best song writer on Charlton Life. The best piece of advice I can give to aspiring musicians is, don't sit on budget gear for years. I did, when I upgraded, I grew exponentially in talent.

Ha I've just got your username...have read the "I" as an "L" for years and couldn't fathom it.

Welcome Mika  :-) 
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    PopIcon said:
    Not sure I agree, with guitars it's generally about how they are set up than perceived quality (from a playability perspective). One of my best ever guitars to play was a £200 Yamaha acoustic, set up by a guitar tech in Denmark street (the set up was almost as much as the guitar was worth!), similarly my old Epiphany Dot which played better than a £5k Gibson 335 custom shop.

Sure, the sound of the Yamaha wasn't as good as say my J45 or even a Taylor I had, but playability was better, same with the DOT, despite all upgraded electronics the Gibson still sounded better but I much preferred the dot every time as it just fitted me perfectly.

Whatever guitar you have, get it properly set up by someone who knows what they are doing.
    This is a valid point, however my experiences are different. I played a £100 Encore guitar for years, the action, inc neck and bridge were improved twice, once by a tech and once by a luthier. However, as well as its laminated body, it had lots of core flaws that could not be fixed. I got so used to playing it and because I had a sentimental attachment, was reluctant to change. 

I now play a solid top Martin now, i love it, best £500 I ever spent (secondhand) it sounds like a 2k guitar. I went from being flat to being enlightened overnight. Sure it sounded a lot better, but my playing got so much better too. I c

Your experience with the dot 335 is interesting. I'm assuming you didn't buy the Gibson? I would never buy a new US 335, silly money. You can pick a pucker one up for 2k at auction.

RodneyCharltonTrotta said:
    PopIcon said:

Ha I've just got your username...have read the "I" as an "L" for years and couldn't fathom it.

Second best song writer on CL.. Sorry.
  • Options
    SamB09 said:
    bobmunro said:

I agree,but at the age of 8,and obviously just starting out,it will be some time before the pupils capabilities are realised.To achieve a high level,especially in classical music ,there has to be a considerable amount of natural ability,and of course dedication.I personally have played a guitar for over 60 years,never getting above a reasonable"bedroom standard",if i had practised 12 hours a day for that period of time,I would still not have remotely approached the levels of the likes of Albert Lee,Chet Atkins etc.My opinion,get a guitar,have fun and see where it takes you.
    60 years and only around bedroom standard? How often did you play , once a month for half hour?
    I've been playing the guitar for 50 years. And the same three chords for each of them!
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    PopIcon said:

This is a valid point, however my experiences are different. I played a £100 Encore guitar for years, the action, inc neck and bridge were improved twice, once by a tech and once by a luthier. However, as well as its laminated body, it had lots of core flaws that could not be fixed. I got so used to playing it and because I had a sentimental attachment, was reluctant to change. 

I now play a solid top Martin now, i love it, best £500 I ever spent (secondhand) it sounds like a 2k guitar. I went from being flat to being enlightened overnight. Sure it sounded a lot better, but my playing got so much better too. I c

Your experience with the dot 335 is interesting. I'm assuming you didn't buy the Gibson? I would never buy a new US 335, silly money. You can pick a pucker one up for 2k at auction.

PopIcon said:

no, I never owned the Gibson CS. Back then me and a few mates were equally suffering GAS, so we used to swap all the time, one of them had the 335, from memory it came from Creation records so wasn't new to him, the sound was clearly better than the Dot, but honestly not by much. I always found the next a little too thick for me.

I dread to think how many guitars I've bought and sold over the years, an addiction I'm mostly in remission from at the moment :D  
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    A bold claim if ever there was one.
  • Options
    Anyone on here recommend a teacher for an 8 year old in Beckenham for guitar?  Seems likely we have missed out in the school lessons.
    if you cant find a personal teacher,there are plenty of very good lessons to be found free on line,from basic beginners up to whatever level you wish.You can also buy some very good beginners books that usually come with dvds or cds.Usually,the first steps on a guitar are learning a few simple chords and being able to strum along to a favourite song,which in all honesty you dont need to pay a personal tutor tot do this.Wish you well,8 is a great age to start learning a musical instrument.
    Thank you.  I think with my lad that lessons may capture his imagination more than virtual ones, but a good fall back.  I don't play any instrument and would love him and his sister to have that skill.

Agree nothing better than some 1-1 to get someone started and enthused.

But don't rule out some excellent on-line resources - it is sooo much easier learning guitar online these days.  For beginners, you really can't beat justinguitar.com.  He has a nice teaching style and has a specific course for beginners. He also generally doesn't charge - just asks you to contribute what you can afford.
  • Options
    P.S. +1 for a squire strat.

Also,  plug for my mate Jonathan Law at Feline Guitars.  If you can bear venturing into bandit country (aka South Croydon) he is a fantastic luthier and a long track record of making guitars sound better, for those of you who need a good set up.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    PopIcon said:
    Indeed!
  • Options
    Ended up getting her a second hand Makala Dolphin for her, cheers for the help!
    Nice one, Neil. Good choice for her, at her age.

At least it should be playable, compared to a lot of the cheap rubbish around masquerading as a musical instrument.

Perhaps you should get yourself a decent secondhand ukulele and you can play along together. She may well like to do that and it will encourage her, strengthening your father/daughter bond.

If you're a guitarist, you already more or less know how to play a uke - it'll be a doddle for you.
    Plenty of decent secondhand on eBay and the like.

Read the reviews first, of course - to separate the wheat from the chaff.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    PopIcon said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    PopIcon said:

PopIcon said:

no, I never owned the Gibson CS. Back then me and a few mates were equally suffering GAS, so we used to swap all the time, one of them had the 335, from memory it came from Creation records so wasn't new to him, the sound was clearly better than the Dot, but honestly not by much. I always found the next a little too thick for me.

I dread to think how many guitars I've bought and sold over the years, an addiction I'm mostly in remission from at the moment :D  

It's interesting that Creation owned it, back in the 90s they had so many good artists signed up. I wonder if it was a dud, it's not unheard of to have US Strats or Les Pauls to miss quality control and come off the belt sounding shit.
    I'm actually in the market for a semi hollow, more than likely a 335. I've already decided I don't want to buy an Epiphone, my budget ceiling is 2k.

What else else do you own? Any particular pedal combo? I has GAS with pedals a few years back. Whittled it down to a combo of Boss BD2, Dod Milkbox and a Boss CH1. I got an EHX Grand Canyon last year, but disappointingly it's not working as part of the chain.

Greenie said:
    Stig said:
    PopIcon said:
    Indeed!
    I don't mind, I'm neither the best guitarist or singer. 
  • Options
    Stig said:
    PopIcon said:
    Let's have a shootout thread. Lets put it to the test. Best worst, weirdest....
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

At least it should be playable, compared to a lot of the cheap rubbish around masquerading as a musical instrument.

Perhaps you should get yourself a decent secondhand ukulele and you can play along together. She may well like to do that and it will encourage her, strengthening your father/daughter bond.

If you're a guitarist, you already more or less know how to play a uke - it'll be a doddle for you.

I'm not sadly!  Not a bad idea though, getting one too to help her out out, learn together etc.

She had a few class lessons at school and really enjoyed it which is why I'm keen to encourage it.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

I'm not sadly!  Not a bad idea though, getting one too to help her out out, learn together etc.

She had a few class lessons at school and really enjoyed it which is why I'm keen to encourage it.
    The Uke is really one of the easiest instruments to learn,and is great fun,I bought one on ebay "Vantage" cost me £35-00 and is excellent,never goes out of tune and sounds fine,give it a go,you will love it.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

The Uke is really one of the easiest instruments to learn,and is great fun,I bought one on ebay "Vantage" cost me £35-00 and is excellent,never goes out of tune and sounds fine,give it a go,you will love it.
    If you can play guitar then a Uke is a doddle. If you can't play guitar but want to then I would not recommend a Uke as a starter - you would have to unlearn a lot!
  • Options
    Stig said:
    PopIcon said:
    Let's have a shootout thread. Lets put it to the test. Best worst, weirdest....
    I'm 100% onboard.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    PopIcon said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    PopIcon said:

PopIcon said:

It's interesting that Creation owned it, back in the 90s they had so many good artists signed up. I wonder if it was a dud, it's not unheard of to have US Strats or Les Pauls to miss quality control and come off the belt sounding shit.
    I'm actually in the market for a semi hollow, more than likely a 335. I've already decided I don't want to buy an Epiphone, my budget ceiling is 2k.

What else else do you own? Any particular pedal combo? I has GAS with pedals a few years back. Whittled it down to a combo of Boss BD2, Dod Milkbox and a Boss CH1. I got an EHX Grand Canyon last year, but disappointingly it's not working as part of the chain.

Greenie said:
    Stig said:
    PopIcon said:
    Indeed!
    When creation went bust we bought up some of their stuff they had left, so it wasn't a dud, got a nice Fender Twin complete with wacky backy in the back! that amp pumped some air! If you believed the guy (which I didn't necessarily) it was used by Jesus & the Mary chain and Oasis amongst others for recording.

I rarely play now, all I have left is a Taylor Mini GS around the house and the Dot. I've lent out my Roland modelling amp (VGA-5) and pedal set up to a guy who worked for me, it had an old Jen wah pedal, Ibanez tube screamer that had something done to it I can't remember (came from Creation) and a distortion but can't remember now, was from the early 90's plus a Arbiter fuzz face. The delay, chorus and flange the amp did which had it's own pedal board.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Yeah, do it.

Learn together. Honestly, you'll pick up the uke really quickly.
    Much easier to get started on than a guitar, by far.

• Options
    edited June 2021
    bobmunro said:
    Oggy Red said:

If you can play guitar then a Uke is a doddle. If you can't play guitar but want to then I would not recommend a Uke as a starter - you would have to unlearn a lot!
    I dunno, Bob. Guitars and ukes all use the same chord shapes or parts of them.

Nothing learned on the uke is wasted, if you learn guitar later.
    It all works the same way.

On a guitar, put your capo across the 5th fret - and play your exact uke chords. Simples!
    A uke is only a 4 string cut down guitar, after all.

There's plenty of pop/rock/folk stars out there who started on a uke before progressing to guitar.
    Eric Clapton, George Harrison, etc

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    bobmunro said:
    Oggy Red said:

On a guitar, put your capo across the 5th fret - and play your exact uke chords. Simples!

There's plenty of pop/rock/folk stars out there who started on a uke before progressing to guitar.

George Fornby!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    PopIcon said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    PopIcon said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    PopIcon said:

PopIcon said:

Greenie said:
    Stig said:
    PopIcon said:
    Indeed!
    When creation went bust we bought up some of their stuff they had left, so it wasn't a dud, got a nice Fender Twin complete with wacky backy in the back! that amp pumped some air! If you believed the guy (which I didn't necessarily) it was used by Jesus & the Mary chain and Oasis amongst others for recording.

I rarely play now, all I have left is a Taylor Mini GS around the house and the Dot. I've lent out my Roland modelling amp (VGA-5) and pedal set up to a guy who worked for me, it had an old Jen wah pedal, Ibanez tube screamer that had something done to it I can't remember (came from Creation) and a distortion but can't remember now, was from the early 90's plus a Arbiter fuzz face. The delay, chorus and flange the amp did which had it's own pedal board.
    I've got a Dennis Cornell Arbiter Fuzz Face with the AC128s, I'm fairly sure it's a late 90s reissue. It's practically useless in doors, needs to be turned up to 11. It's the worst pedal I own, but probably worth the most amount of money!.
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    Oggy Red said:
    bobmunro said:
    Oggy Red said:

Oggy Red said:
    bobmunro said:
    Oggy Red said:

George Fornby!
    I think George Benson also started on a Uke.Although the uke is a fun instrument,Check out a Japanese player,Jake,(I am not sure about his surname)play Bohemian Rhapsody,a bit of an eye opener what can be achieved on this little instrument.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    Can you come up with some decent Charlton songs for the crowd then please? 😃

• Options
    PopIcon said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    PopIcon said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    PopIcon said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    PopIcon said:

PopIcon said:

Greenie said:
    Stig said:
    PopIcon said:
    Indeed!

I've got a Dennis Cornell Arbiter Fuzz Face with the AC128s, I'm fairly sure it's a late 90s reissue. It's practically useless in doors, needs to be turned up to 11. It's the worst pedal I own, but probably worth the most amount of money!.
    I only bought it to do a few Stone Roses songs, think mine's an original, paid about £100 for it a long time ago. Just looked and people are asking around £1k for one, I'd better get it back!

Hold the front page........ https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203263432600?hash=item2f5371d798:g:DW8AAOSwUldgFKDC

Surely not.
  • Options
    Just found out my boy has managed to get lessons at school.  Well chuffed and he is so excited.  Just need to pick up a half sized left handed guitar now!
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    PopIcon said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    PopIcon said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    PopIcon said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    PopIcon said:

PopIcon said:

Greenie said:
    Stig said:
    PopIcon said:
    Indeed!

I only bought it to do a few Stone Roses songs, think mine's an original, paid about £100 for it a long time ago. Just looked and people are asking around £1k for one, I'd better get it back!

Hold the front page........ https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203263432600?hash=item2f5371d798:g:DW8AAOSwUldgFKDC

Surely not.
    I only bought it for the Squire connection. I tried to sell it for £200 on Ebay, no interest.
    It's a buyer's market, as good as the tube screamer is, it's not worth £1k. The Klon Centaur is the same, originals are on Ebay listed at £4k.
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    Oggy Red said:
    bobmunro said:
    Oggy Red said:

Oggy Red said:
    bobmunro said:
    Oggy Red said:

George Fornby!
    I think George Benson also started on a Uke. Although the uke is a fun instrument,Check out a Japanese player,Jake,(I am not sure about his surname)play Bohemian Rhapsody, a bit of an eye opener what can be achieved on this little instrument.
    Jake Shimabukuro, do you mean? Like this: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYhcN8p4yhg&ab_channel=JakeShimabukuroJakeShimabukuro

You just have to give it a listen. Amazing!

• Options
    This is extremely subjective and maybe off topic, also purely based on my personal musical life experience, but I'll say it anyway. By all means learn your instrument whichever one it may be, but do yourself a favour, get over the barrier and study music theory so you understand the musical logic of songs you are working on. It's just a language, and the connection with every piece you are playing is unique as you are able to understand how masters navigate riddles and come to solutions in their compositions - be it Bach or Donald Fagen. Also it allows for bigger challenges when playing with others, as you are all 'on the same page' sorry for the long scroll but I just jumped on the piano during half time (France vs Germany) and transposed Harold Arlen's 1935 'Last night when we were young' (a forgotten gem) as in 2 hours a trumpet playing friend is arriving for a rehearsal (Trumpet is a Bb instrument - for those who don't read music, which means the sheet music has to be slightly altered). The process would have been identical on the Guitar.
    Just a thought...

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    T_C_E said:
    Oggy Red said:
    bobmunro said:
    Oggy Red said:

Oggy Red said:
    bobmunro said:
    Oggy Red said:

George Fornby!
    I think George Benson also started on a Uke. Although the uke is a fun instrument,Check out a Japanese player,Jake,(I am not sure about his surname)play Bohemian Rhapsody, a bit of an eye opener what can be achieved on this little instrument.
    Jake Shimabukuro, do you mean? Like this: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYhcN8p4yhg&ab_channel=JakeShimabukuroJakeShimabukuro

You just have to give it a listen. Amazing!

Yes,he is something else,plenty of other videos available.He was due in the uk to play some small venues,but I dont know what happened.
  • Options
    This is extremely subjective and maybe off topic, also purely based on my personal musical life experience, but I'll say it anyway. By all means learn your instrument whichever one it may be, but do yourself a favour, get over the barrier and study music theory so you understand the musical logic of songs you are working on. It's just a language, and the connection with every piece you are playing is unique as you are able to understand how masters navigate riddles and come to solutions in their compositions - be it Bach or Donald Fagen. Also it allows for bigger challenges when playing with others, as you are all 'on the same page' sorry for the long scroll but I just jumped on the piano during half time (France vs Germany) and transposed Harold Arlen's 1935 'Last night when we were young' (a forgotten gem) as in 2 hours a trumpet playing friend is arriving for a rehearsal (Trumpet is a Bb instrument - for those who don't read music, which means the sheet music has to be slightly altered). The process would have been identical on the Guitar.
    Just a thought...

I've been playing for over 50 years and I think this is great advice. I've gone back to looking at a bit of musical theory over lockdown but at my age getting anything to stay in my brain is a bit of a challenge. So, I wish I'd spent a bit of time on it between leaving school and now. The book I got was Jazz theory and it wasn't specific to the guitar.