Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Panto

edited December 2011 in Not Sports Related
Having sat through 2 hours plus at the Orchard last night paying £125 for the privelidge, I thought I'd find out if anyone else takes their kids to a panto every year.

For the record my daughter will be attending 3 this year.

Comments

• Options
    Oh no she's not!!!!
  • Options
    No chance. I have 5 and 8 year old boys and the cheapest tickets we could find we're £18 each !! Total rip off.
  • Options
    £25.00 each at the Orchard Dartford. Daughter loved it so I guess it was worth it.
  • Options
    We take ours to Theatre Royal in Norwich. Also take them to the local amateur one which happens to be produced, directed and starring my wife! Oh no it isn't, oh yes it is! etc etc

Pantos done well can be great. Scripts need to be multi-level so they appeal to children and adults alike. 
  • Options

The Panto at Greenwich THeatre is is simply brilliant. Great production by the same team for years now. Traditional but with a modern touch. Great fun for kids and adults. Even my 16 old still enjoys it.

Not a Soap or Reality Z lister in sight.

• Options
    I've gone every Christmas Eve to the one in Greenwich and as Chirpy says it's v v good. No celebs but I like that.
  • Options
    I went to Greenwich theatre's panto this year of Alladdin and thought it was flipping excellent. Tho not been for 30 odd years myself.

"I dream that Charlton Athletic will one day finally win the champions league love but they wont"... or something similar. Then lots of comments re plumstead/deptford market etc. I enjoyed it as much as the kids as very close to the mark plenty of times - straight over the little ones heads - 87.50 for 5 of us - two adults and 3 kids.

• Options
    They usually show a couple on the box over the xmas period.

We all know that sitting in the comfort of your own home watching on tv is so much better than attending the event................................;-)
  • Options
    I went to Greenwich theatre's panto this year of Alladdin and thought it was flipping excellent. Tho not been for 30 odd years myself.

"I dream that Charlton Athletic will one day finally win the champions league love but they wont"... or something similar. Then lots of comments re plumstead/deptford market etc. I enjoyed it as much as the kids as very close to the mark plenty of times - straight over the little ones heads - 87.50 for 5 of us - two adults and 3 kids.

We're there Friday for the matinee
  • Options
    Before this year, I took my daughter to see the pantomime at the Churchill Theatre in Bromley and both were ok.  She enjoyed it so thats the main thing.
    This year, we decided to see Shrek the Musical instead of going to a pantomime for a pre-Christmas treat and we went last week.  We sat in the Grand Circle.  After buying the obligatory programme and Princess Fiona's ogre-style ears, there was no change from £200 for three of us.  One of the best West-End productions I've seen though, great acting and the bird from Girls Aloud who plays Princess Fiona was actually very good indeed.  My ticket to see Spurs v Chelsea on the same evening was £20 cheaper!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Took my daughter to see Shrek when it opened. Managed to get preview price tickets.
  • Options
    went to the Orchard just before Christmas with 2 of my sons (5+3) plus a load of niece and nephews and thoroughly enjoyed it , although parking took forever , it was good banter and i watched the kids reactions as much as the show itself
  • Options
    Never been in my live.  Now I've seen the prices you're all quoting I'm glad I haven't.
  • Options

Kids all growed up now, but when they were at the right age I graciously allowed my wife the pleasure of taking them to the Panto.

These days I only go if my younger son is in it! Amateur production, I should add.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Have took my two a couple of times, but not this year and they love it. Also took my 10 yr old daughter to see sister act when whoopi Goldberg was in it and she was really really impressed and loved it.

Think it's good to take them they enjoy it and it gets them to like nice things and to do nice things, gives them a taste for it when they get older instead of wanting to be like the rest of the un educated youth of today that seem brain dead
  • Options
    Agreed - Greenwich Theatre panto is always brilliant. Haven't missed it in 5 years. My 7-year-old literally couldn't breath for laughing.
  • Options
    kids are too old now 10,,12,14 used to do it every year when it was 4,6,8 but I remember going to one when I was 12 and absolutely hated it. I remembered that feeling and decided not to subject my children too it.
  • Options
    kids are too old now 10,,12,14 used to do it every year when it was 4,6,8 but I remember going to one when I was 12 and absolutely hated it. I remembered that feeling and decided not to subject my children too it.
    Just the right age for Greenwich, you as well Steve!
  • Options
    might give it a try, just as long as it is not too politically correct 
  • Options
    Shrek the Musical
    Shrek of course for those who don't do pantomimes is absolute pantomime in its construction and appeal - multi-level with plenty for kids and adults alike.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    went to the Orchard just before Christmas with 2 of my sons (5+3) plus a load of niece and nephews and thoroughly enjoyed it , although parking took forever , it was good banter and i watched the kids reactions as much as the show itself
    What was the attendance?

20% it's behind you! 40% oh no it isn't! and 40% I've seen better away support at Palarse ooooh aaaaaaaah matron!

• Options

Just back from Alladin (Shane Ritchie)

My 2, aged 3 and 4 loved it, me and the missus had a bit of a giggle as well

• Options
    Nss... I don't want to ruin it for chirpy but I loved it. No stars. The words wash and nosh in same sentence.

But as said I spent half time peering at my two young nephews watching the sheer excitement on their faces at their first panto.

I'm going next year for sure. Afternoon show then to a Greenwich pub for dinner.
  • Options
    might give it a try, just as long as it is not too politically correct 

Mate! Just because it's Greenwich Theatre it doesn't mean it's a Right-On, Ben Elton style PC Panto. In fact everyone I have been to is decidedly politically incorrect! Don't sit near the front though if you don't want to be involved in banter with the best Dame you'll ever see.
  • Options

Went to Tunbridge Wells to see Sleeping Beauty (free tickets :-) ). Absolutely brilliant, a far more enjoyable two hours that I spent the previous week in Victoria watching Wicked (even if the tickets were only £15).

Pantos are magical for kids and highly amusing for adults.

Oh, and can someone please do a 'Would Ya' for Glynis Barber?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Not sure that she qualifies as a Would Ya.
  • Options
    How long is the Greenwich one on for
  • Options
    How long is the Greenwich one on for

About an hour and half........

;-) Till 8th Jan.

• Options

Missus took two boys (9 & 5) to see Peter Pan at Chatham. Mostly because Vanilla Ice was playing Hook. £50 well spent as apparently they could barely breathe for laughing so hard at points.