Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Let's not forget the legend that is Richard Murray

edited December 2011 in General Charlton
being up in the West End this afternoon (without body armour) I remembered that this time last year (Jan 2 to be exact), I'd been up there and had a phone call with Richard Murray about the new owners and everything. It seemed like a world away so i got the urge to text him and thank him for helping to bring the good times back after all he had been through.

here is some of his reply

"Thanks Richard I was there tool (Yeovil), I like the new bosses and as you know am still investing in CAFC at 10% of anything spent. Am loving my new role and my health is much better now...COYR"

I think he deserves great credit for keeping his nerve and selling to the best people and not the first who came along. And I am sure he went utterly mental at 4.55 yesterday afternoon. He's responsible for more of my good times as a Charlton fan than any other individual, and it is nice to know that he's there to enjoy our revival.

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Hear, hear Prague.
  • Options
    Well said Richard.

A legend
  • Options
    Funnily enough Richard, I was thinking about Mr Murray this afternoon.

Decent bloke who made more good calls than bad ones, hope people remember that. Good to know he's enjoying this run, he deserves it.
  • Options
    Good post.  Yeah, thanks for the good time Richard.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Richard made mistakes particularly during the recent decline but there is no doubt where his heart has always been, where is money has gone and the fact that he has made more,many more decisions that have been right.  Without Murray we would probably have had Gritt not Curbishley, as most of us wanted and we would never have built the team of the premiership.  Much of this was done during a period of personal tragedy for Richard and we should never, never, ever forget what he sacrificed for us.  

And maybe, in time whilst the North Stand maybe name the Curbishley Stand, the West Stand .. the directors stand .. could be called the Murray Stand.
  • Options
    yep, well said Kap...although I am not sure Curbs should have a stand named after him...but that's a thread of its own!
  • Options
    He came in for a lot of un fair criticism, although I did understand that there will always be someone who needs to shoulder the blame , the buck must stop somewhere and in the end it stopped at the top .

I would not have had the enjoyment cafc brought to me in my 20's without RM and I will always be grateful for those memories

I also don't think that what he did at the end can be underestimated nor forgotten

I am sure it did not all end in a happy way and that all parties involved in keeping us afloat got what they deserved

But I am with you PA only thanks praise and fondness for the man that is RIchard Murray
  • Options
    Nice one Prague.
    Happy to raise my glass to the legend that is Richard Murray
  • Options
    The Murray stand... I like it! 

Thank you Mr Murray. 
  • Options

he definitely was a brilliant chairman when curbs was there

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    RM deserved all the credit he got. He came in for a bit of stick but far less than any other chairman would have got when it all went wrong due to the respect and gratitude supporters have for him and there were doubts towards the end but his claim that he was holding out for the right buyers looks to have been 100% vindicated. Well done RM and glad ne can now enjoy the journey back. Glad he, Peter Varney are all still on board. And i'd add Rick Everitt to that. Vastly experienced and maybe if there are some even deeper pockets on board as well now, they can use that experience to help go one stage better this time and have some sustained success with the odd trophy. Not being greedy of course but why not?
  • Options
    Well said Richard. A great man who invested so much in CAFC, not just his money.
  • Options
    Well said Prague. He gave us the good times.

Maybe the good times are coming back - he's earned the right to enjoy it along with the rest of us fans.
  • Options

I don't believe that , for one moment, real Addicks will underestimate what Richard did for this great Club.

It is especially good to hear that he is enjoying life again ...long may it last.

A special Happy New Year to Richard, Peter Varney, and Messrs Slater & Jimenez. Without them we would have been  facing a far different 2012.

• Options

I don't believe that , for one moment, real Addicks will underestimate what Richard did for this great Club.

It is especially good to hear that he is enjoying life again ...long may it last.

A special Happy New Year to Richard, Peter Varney, and Messrs Slater & Jimenez. Without them we would have been  facing a far different 2012.

this so so much........Happy new year Mr Murray et al
  • Options
    Agree with the sentiments of this thread.

Just a shame that some of the more "erratic" members of our support couldn't see it and resorted to personal abuse. Fcuking idiots. They know who they are.
  • Options
    How do you know him?
  • Options
    +1 for Mr. Murray. 
  • Options
    Any Charlton fan who thought/thinks Richard Murray has been bad for the club is deluded in my opinion.

Considering some you who had to put up with the awful times during the 70's/80's I think I can frankly say that I have been spoilt as a Charlton fan and that is mainly down to Richard Murray, Martin Simons, Roger Alwen and Peter Varney. The last few seasons (before this one) had been awful and that was down to mistakes the board have made but we could always be assured that the board care about the club as much as we do and were working hard to rectify it.

I like what the new owners have done so far and I do hope that whenever Richard decides to leave the club that he gets the recognition he devers. I really want us to chant his name as a appreciation to all the hard work he has done.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thank you Mr. Murray, happy new year
  • Options
    Bit mean of him to call you a tool but other than that nice to hear ;-)
  • Options

Top man is Richard Murray.

I saw Gritty outside the main stand at Yeovil yesterday too. looked like he was there on business, another top top man.

• Options
    This club has a lot to thank Richard for and all Charlton fans know it. Thanks, Richard.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    without curbs, there'd be no richard murray.

#justsaying
  • Options
    edited December 2011

#justsaying
    I think its a 2 way street  when we were in the Prem we set an 8 game losing streak record , it would have been easy for the board to have pulled the trigger and fired Curbs , (As would have sacking CP at the back end of last season) i think RM & Curbs worked well in tandem, total respect for both of them.
  • Options

#justsaying
    You say that but it was Richard Murray who appointed Curbs in the first place. My understanding back then was that the majority of the fans wanted Gritty or Keith Peacock as manager.
  • Options
    hear hear !    Just wondered if we could have a special mention for RM & the Board for the past year at the Brentford match next week ?  Perhaps BDL could arrange something ??
  • Options
    Murray is a legend.  Helped to create the best times at Charlton and even when it all went wrong, he put his own money in and kept us afloat for longer than any non fan would have done before picking the right (so far anyway) people to pass us onto.
  • Options

Totally agree, Richard Murray gave his all to Charlton & even in the past few years of dark times he (& others) found the money to keep us afloat & eventually bringing in our current board when he could have just "sold" us to the first bunch that turned up.

I'm glad he's still there to enjoy the good times that are surely returning !