Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

iPad 2

edited December 2011 in Not Sports Related
Hi all lifers, great win today, hope you've all had a great Christmas.

I'm looking for some advice / guidance I've bought my kids an iPad ones 10 and ones 6 and I'm at bit of a lost end as to what it's use is for it's exactly the same as my iPhone but bigger, the kids have put some games on it a few films and some songs.

Is there any apps any lifers could recommend or other uses as I have" all the gear but no idea " with things like this and so far am a bit lost as to it's true purpose.

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Not being funny mate, but shouldn't you have thought of that before lashing out 700 sheets (or thereabouts)? My son's 8 and there's no way on this earth I would buy him an ipad.

At the end of the day, despite what anyone tells you, it's just a computer.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You're about to find out you've wasted a ton of cash. Should have just bought them a laptop so they can install games on it. That's all kids want to do with computers. You've just bought them a giant phone really.

- edited to say: Dammit - Off_it got there first :)
  • Options
    You're about to find out you've wasted a ton of cash. SHould have just bought them a laptop so they can install games on it. That's all kids want to do with computers. You've just bought them a giant phone really.
    Sugar coating life again I see Leroy, as always!
    ;o) 
  • Options
    Christmas is over Offie. I was nice all day yesterday - really I was.
  • Options
    They've all ready got a laptop
  • Options
    I'm sure they love it. They will know what to do in a matter of days.
  • Options
    Cheers chunes
  • Options
    There is a link to the iTunes store on the iPad. Open it and go to the App store. Look through the games. There are some for young children.

• Options
    Not a bad buy for the kids. Leroy seems to think laptops are better for games for children? I'd have fun trying to tell my five year old niece what an installation directory is - or giving her a guided tour of Steam and then leaving it for her to use herself. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My eight your old nephew plays COD and Portal 2 online pretty much non-stop. Difficult to do that on an ipad.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Difficult to do that on a laptop that doesn't cost at least 300 pounds more than an ipad. Plus £30 x 2 for the games, whereas you can buy your kids around ten games on the apps store for about six quid. And when they get bored (as kids do), ten more, and still be under the price of one pc game.

I'll say it again. Not a bad buy for the kids.
  • Options
    Toys or maybe a Wii for children?
  • Options
    Plenty of good apps out there, my 8 year old persuaded me to download Puffle launch for 69p (yeah I know, last of the big spenders).

Plenty of good educational apps, have a look on iTunes or go on all the gadget sites and look at the reviews. T3 do a decent app guide.

Make sure you get them a good case and a screen protectors as well.
  • Options
    ten and six and they have a laptop and a iPad. Fuck me.
  • Options

If you have any DivX movies ripped from DVD, you'll need to convert them to MP4 format before you can load & play them on iPad. I couldn't find a free way to do this, but this does it pretty fast & pretty well :  http://www.dvdtoipad.com/ ("How to convert video to iPad", at the bottom)

• Options
    I know about the apps and they've got good maths and reading apps on it already but just thought it could do more but didn't know exactly what, as for platform games etc they have a wii. Noticed it doesn't have a word processor on it cos thought it might be useful for homework.
  • Options
    I've noticed off It and Leroy taking every opportunity to tell Mac owners they are fools, so wouldn't take them too seriously. Each to their own I say. iPad has lots of good things going for it. Probably wouldn't splash out on one myself but got one from work and love playing with it.

Lots of decent games - Fruit Ninja, Cut The Rope et al - , and it's fun discovering more. The Times, Empire, Wired magazine all show there are some great ways to present content. Sure, laptops do most things the pad does, but the interface is still great. Edge magazine too - that has a good feature on how mobile games are changing the industry's distribution approach.

Developers are beginning to figure out the ways they can really employ the pad too, and there's a wealth of educational games and stuff. And as said above, for less than a quid.

Ultimately, I'm more concerned there's an 8 year old playing COD. That's nuts. Does he get to do the airport massacre level? Or does he skip that and just shoot people in the face a lot?
  • Options

If you have any DivX movies ripped from DVD, you'll need to convert them to MP4 format before you can load & play them on iPad. I couldn't find a free way to do this, but this does it pretty fast & pretty well :  http://www.dvdtoipad.com/ ("How to convert video to iPad", at the bottom)

There is an app that does it very easily. Its called AVplayerHD - It transfers most movie formats wirelesly from your PC to your IPad.

Incidentally i have two sons ( 5 and 8 years old)  and they much prefer playing on my IPad than my Laptop. There are numerous kids apps to download.

I wouldn't consider buying them one at their ages though  . That does seem a little extravagant !
  • Options
    edited December 2011

There is an app that does it very easily. Its called AVplayerHD - It transfers most movie formats wirelesly from your PC to your IPad.

Cheers - I'll give that a go!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thankyou for all your help I will look into it but not that great around technology I'm a spark. The reason behind having what they have is one because I didn't have much as a kid so want them to have everything and not have to say I havent hot it, a secondly I'm in quite a good position in life to be able to give it to them so why not.
  • Options
    I've noticed off It and Leroy taking every opportunity to tell Mac owners they are fools, so wouldn't take them too seriously. 
    Eh? I know f all about computers mate, but have just bought one for the missus so know how much they cost. And it IS just a computer after all.
  • Options
    Welcome to the modern world.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ah so not just me that thinks that LA. My son is 12 and I still haven't got him a phone (and I sell phones).

He asked for an iphone for Christmas - he didn't get one. I let him borrow a phone of mine during the summer.He used his credit up in a couple of days phoning "adult" sites and then when I phoned him because he was late home, he gave the phone to one of his "mates" who gave me a load of verbal. Result - phone taken away.

Perhaps its a generational thing but kids these days seem to take all of these things for granted.

I bought my son an Electro-Acoustic Guitar plus lessons. I'd rather he did that than play on an Ipad guitar App.

Each to their own.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Perhaps its a generational thing but kids these days seem to take all of these things for granted.

Come on, bing. Tell me you didn't once hear your parents/grandparents saying the same thing about your generation and tell me it didn't make you roll your eyes ;)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Difficult to do that on a laptop that doesn't cost at least 300 pounds more than an ipad. Plus £30 x 2 for the games, whereas you can buy your kids around ten games on the apps store for about six quid. And when they get bored (as kids do), ten more, and still be under the price of one pc game.

I'll say it again. Not a bad buy for the kids.
    Really? That's odd - because the laptop my nephew uses is one I advised my brother-in-law to buy for him on his birthday. It cost him £349. Cheaper, in fact, I believe, than the absolute cheapest bottom-of-the-range ipad.
  • Options
    Ah so not just me that thinks that LA. My son is 12 and I still haven't got him a phone (and I sell phones).

He asked for an iphone for Christmas - he didn't get one. I let him borrow a phone of mine during the summer.He used his credit up in a couple of days phoning "adult" sites and then when I phoned him because he was late home, he gave the phone to one of his "mates" who gave me a load of verbal. Result - phone taken away.

I bought my son an Electro-Acoustic Guitar plus lessons. I'd rather he did that than play on an Ipad guitar App.

Each to their own.
    Man am I with you guys on this. My 9 year old nephew informed me that my halfwit sister who doesn't have a pot to pee in and has maxed out her credit cards got him an iPhone for Chrimble. That'll be to with his tablet thingy, Wii, xbox, DS, etc, etc...wtf???!!

• Options

My kids got this:

• Options

My kids got this:

It's where it all started. Plugging the box into your TV.

Look where it's got us.
  • Options
    Another good video/film converter is handbrake, I use that for loading DVD's to my iphone.