Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Centre Parcs - anyone been

Was thinking about it until I saw the price for a 4 day visit Mon- Thurs in May half term

£906 effing quid

I could probably go to Spain for cheaper.

Good god.

Comments

• Options
    its shocking here to be honest, Butlins, Pontins, anything like that is incredibly expensive. Even a weekend at Alton Towers in their hotel up there is extortionate.

As you say, you're better off going abroad.
  • Options
    i've taken my son a couple of times..
    great for the kids...
    but your right.. v expensive & you can go abroad for alot cheaper
  • Options
    its great, used to go with my, mum, dad, aunt uncle and bro and 2 boy cousins

this is why i'm a bit of a tomboy, spent many weeks cycling round forests, on log flumes, rapids, high slides, dunking each other in the water, and getting mud everywhere.badminton competitions all sorts.
    loved it. yeah, it is expensive, the more that go the cheaper it is. if you went with another family and shared the chalet i think it works out better value.

been to sherwood forest and the elvedon forest one, a few times each

i'm hoping all our friends wil come one long weekend, get 8 in a villa, 2 to a room, its a good laugh.

the sofas in the chalet's are itchy though. always remember that. oh, and that was the first time i tried a pancake, as my mum put sugar on my chips and ruined them so i had to have a plain pancake.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    And you have to pay for activities on top, thought it was poor value for money, besides which Ms Lat fell off her bike dodging a squirrel and cut her chin
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite] as my mum put sugar on my chips and ruined them so i had to have a plain pancake.
    lol. i did that once in a restaurant when i was about 11. i was with my best mate's mum who bought me lunch. i felt guilty giving the chips back so i ate them all.
  • Options
    Very good if your sporting,but is very pricey.Cabin's r pretty good for self-catering,try google for discount codes for centre parcs,but if you are goin during school holidays it's always goin to be a lot dearer.
  • Options
    Like all these places, school hols prices, hugely hiked up.

Have been to Longleat CP twice, the kids do enjoy it, non stop swimming, cycling, riding, but apart from swimming there is a cost.

It's a very friendly relaxed way of life.

I've the heard the one's over in Holland and Belgium are as good but cheaper.......never tried to price it fully.

On the upside, me and Mrs are off to Elevedon the week after half term , no kids ... £258.
  • Options
    Always found the Activities expensive but they are worth doing.

Remember forgetting to bring my toothbrush with me, so i had to go to the shop and buy one, and i got lost through all the roads as it all looks the bloody same, i swear i saw the same cabin 5 times, anyway, 3 hours later (felt like double that) i come back with instead of a toothbrush a head of a electric toothbrush, mum wasn't too pleased, but obviously happy i was back.

The buses they run are decent, they're more like golf buggies but they run every 10 minutes to get you to certain places like the bar, shop, swimming pool.

Like the idea of them not wanting the car being used anywhere in the site apart from arrival and leaving.

Love to go back there when i get a bit more dosh.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]Very good if your sporting,but is very pricey.Cabin's r pretty good for self-catering,try google for discount codes for centre parcs,but if you are goin during school holidays it's always goin to be a lot dearer.

I know but got no choice - my boy has is sats this year so no taking him put for school even for a day.
  • Options
    Isn't sats purely for the benefit of School as opposed to Child.I had this discussion with my kids school,I have to take my kids out of school every year as my busiest period is during summer holidays.(busy caters for schools,rugby/football teams and they all start in Sep).I asked the question who's benefit was it for and they admitted it is purely for the school and how they are graded not for the child.I have heard that you can get fined for takin a child out of school but the money you save far out weighs the fine.I was taken out of school every year as a child as it is a family owed business and it didn't hurt me in the slightest.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    been a few times, really enjoy it, but as people have said expensive for what it is. Your always forking out while you are there which is another problem.

Saw John Terry playing pool there a couple of weeks ago and mate in work got squashed in the rapids by Gary Mabbutt last week. Said he was right carrying some timber...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge Knows[/cite]Was thinking about it until I saw the price for a 4 day visit Mon- Thurs in May half term

£906 effing quid

I could probably go to Spain for cheaper.

Good god.

We looked into the 6 bed all singing all dancing villa with some friends a couple of years ago, but like you baulked at the price. We ended up going to the one near The Hauge in Holland. It was about £200 per family cheaper even with Eurotunnel and petrol. The food was better and a lot cheaper and Dutch school hols are at a different time so it was quite so hectic everywhere
  • Options
    Went to Elevedon Forest near Thetford, last year. Bit the bullet and went for an all singing all dancing one with an outside hot tub and sauna. It was off season in early Feb and cost £1400 for long weekend (split between two familes). Enjoyed it despite the cost. The only facility which is free is the swimming area but that is a nightmare unless you go in the morning early. Other times its just heaving with people. We used the hot tub alot.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]Isn't sats purely for the benefit of School as opposed to Child.I had this discussion with my kids school,I have to take my kids out of school every year as my busiest period is during summer holidays.(busy caters for schools,rugby/football teams and they all start in Sep).I asked the question who's benefit was it for and they admitted it is purely for the school and how they are graded not for the child.I have heard that you can get fined for takin a child out of school but the money you save far out weighs the fine.I was taken out of school every year as a child as it is a family owed business and it didn't hurt me in the slightest.

One issue with the SATs is that schools often use them as the basis for putting the kids in sets the following year. This isn't really an concern at Key Stage 1 (age 7 or 8 I think), but for the Key Stage 3 ones at 14, if your kids do badly they are likely to end up in the lower sets in year 10. This is a big problem in Maths and Science, as the lower groups get entered for the exam where the highest grade you can get is a C, and the lessons are pitched accordingly. So if they are bright but lazy, or screwed up their SATs because they missed something important because they were on holiday, then they can end up with having to do a lot of catching up in Year 11. One of my friends has a daughter who is in this situation at the moment, and it's causing a lot of grief between them.
  • Options
    We (wife, kids and other close family) go to center parcs every year and really like it. Yes it's expensive, but we think it's worth it. Hire a few bikes (or bring your own). With that and the swimming pool most young kids are happy without a massive need to spend huge amounts of cash.

It's kid if you want to offload the kids for a few hours as they have loads of different age group session organised. I am happy paying the extra money to get away from cars for a week.

Elevedon is best for the unfit as everything is quite central. Longleat looks nice but is damend hilly. I didn't like sherwood that much, but they are tarting it up I beleive.
  • Options
    Ive bee twice.

Went to Longleat and Elvedon. Longleat was the best for me, had a lot more inside the main dome. Longleat is quite hilly in parts.

Lots to do for everyone and nice accomodation.
  • Options
    I don't know why people bother with Centre Parcs, Butlins etc.

Far too expensive and lazy.

I'm taking the family to St Tropez for 5 nights over easter. Flights £170, Mobile Home on the beach at Ramatuelle £225. Car Hire £125.

Better climate, better food and better people.

Can't go wrong.
  • Options
    how the fuck is it lazy -

my wife is pregnant so we won't be able to fly in May -
  • Options
    Because I think it is.

Good luck to you and your wife.
  • Options
    Went to the one iN Sherwood Forest in September 2003 when I had the family.

3 days set me back £400. The choice of whats on offer was superb but as one said, prices vary tremendously.

Lot of money but it was worth it for the peace and quiet where you tell the outside world to just **** off for a few days.

The final icing on the cake was Lisbie scoring a hatrick and the bar was ful of Scousers.