Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

no more emergency loans from 2014

Fifa has delivered a major setback to Football League clubs with a ruling that will outlaw the emergency loan system under which as many as 400 players move clubs each season.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal that after six years during which 2,400 players have moved under the system, the world governing body (im guessing FIFA) has ruled that emergency loans breach rules governing transfer windows and will be banned from 2014.

Comments

• Options
    good .. it will mean more honest and less lazy management. Managers will stand or fall by their ability to spot, sign and develop players. It might be a drawback in the short term for smaller 2nd division clubs but will encourage these clubs to develop more of their own home grown players. The main benefit will be that premier clubs will sign less players on a wholesale basis and will be prevented from using the loan system as a shop window/trial basis for their unwanted players
  • Options
    It should also encourage the through put of a club's own young players
  • Options
    It will make a lot of decent young players drop down the leagues to find football on a full time basis,

The emergency loan window closing will send the fringe players out earlier to go on long term loans

Think it could be good for clubs like us in general
  • Options
    Fifa actually do something right for a change. The amount of loan players who go through clubs each season is ridiculous.
  • Options
    Also would like to see loans within divisions banned
  • Options
    I heard that Man City have 30+ players on loan this season, is this true? If so, this is absurd. Personally, I believe a wage cap should also be in place, but to make it interesting it should only apply to foreign players, so if you want to pay Johnny Foreigner 300k a week, you will bloody well make sure they are worth it!
  • Options

Basically agree because the system has been abused. I hope though there is some scope for: say poor club in League 2 who are just about staving off bankruptcy so run a small squad. keeper breaks leg leaving them with a 16 year old back up. I believe they ought to be able to borrow someone.

if it only emergency loans it won't stop some of the ridiculous ones. Kap is spot on that deals within divisions should be stopped. However Adebayor to Spurs, bellamy to Liverpool this year, Welbeck to Sunderland, Sturridge to Bolton are not emergency loans. these are ridiculous and should be stopped.

• Options
    Wonder if this effects young players going on loan, don't they count as "youth loans"? I can understand it but shame for young players if they can only go for a half or full season loan.