Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

bank charges

my banks just backed down and paid back all th charges theyve taken from my account in last 3 years, £500 worth!!!!!!!

what a pleasant surprise, on my bday aswell, £500 betta off!!

wahoo, now the credit cards and loan companies next!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    happy birthday!
  • Options
    cheers,

if any1 hasn't started yet try gettin all your charges back they really do pay up!!!!
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    What's the criteria for them to pay up?

And Happy Birthday
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    This will help you Full details

Some of this site is very good but some of it is seriously OTT- especially in the forums
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: 1905[/cite]What's the criteria for them to pay up?

And Happy Birthday

Just bell 'em up and say scruffle got his back , any chance ?
  • Options
    If you have any trouble claiming back bank charges (ie they refuse to pay up) complain to the Financial Ombudsman Service - it's free.
  • Options
    its really easy i used the template letters off the bbc site (just search for bank charges and it'll come up on their site), took 20 not 14 days but still there in end

basically and charges are illegal, should only b bout £2.5 rather than the £20/30 they are, just add them all up (you can go back 6 years) and send a letter to the bank askin for it back and threaten to take them to court if they don't respond within a set time, i got to the court stage but didn;t have to submit my letter to the small claims court the bank buckled at that point
  • Options
    Happy birthday mate
  • Options
    what bank ?

and what sort of charges are applicable ?
  • Options
    that's it you have started trouble.

Big brother of the banking world has got involved now.

GO BOE GO
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    leave off, i want my money back !
  • Options
    Do bank of England do current accounts? Bank of scotland do..

;)
  • Options
    It's worth doing.
    Any charges for unauthorised overdrafts, direct debit failed transactions that sort of thing going back 6 years.
    It takes a while but they have just agreed to pay back mine.
  • Options
    how long does it take?
  • Options
    Took me from November till last week.
    But I should have pushed much harder at them in December when they were fobbing me off.
    They paid very close to what i asked, and I couldn't be bothered to wait any longer it was money I was not expecting and it will come in nicely in time to pay for a holiday :)
  • Options
    nice 1,do they refund every charge youve paid over the last 6 years
  • Options
    From what i can make out banks have been having a laugh for a number of years with their charges. Really taking the pi$$.
    So get them to send you bank statements going back 6 years ( they have to do this free of charge under Data Protection Act), go through what the charges add up to ( have a look at various sites as to what you can claim for, the consumer action group one is ok if a bit self righteous!) then have a go at claiming.
    The charge should be about £4.50, but the banks won't actually say how much their charges are. All i know is that they were very smug when they were taking £100 off me per transaction when it was a matter simply of the timing of when my money went in.
    So it's been sweet to get some of my money back.:)
  • Options
    mines taken 20 days now, althou had to wait a week before this for them to send me a copy of every statement for the last 6 years, had to then go throu them adding up all the charges (you can even get interest on the debt for a charge of £20 4 yrs ago bout a fiver in interest is added!!)

basically the current ruling is you can't have a penalty that is so much higer than the cost incurred to the bank by you goin over drawn or bouncing a cheque etc, back b4 computors it really did cost a lot in man hours and so on but now everythin is done by computor the cost is only bout £2.5 max.
    Its bloody marvelous love wining against the bank, this with halifax, apparently hsbc r hardest to get money outa
  • Options
    Anyone had a go at claiming back on credit cards on this?
  • Options
    What about The Woolwich?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Go for it browny. They should not have been so greedy and they would probably have got away with it. As it is they already have in many cases.
    It's certainly worth a try.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    [cite]Posted By: browny[/cite]What about The Woolwich?

The Woolwich is a bank (and is part of Barclays now anyway) so, yes.
  • Options
    Cheers guys :-)
  • Options
    I have requested my statements for my main Bank account this week. If successful will then decide if I wish to pursue the thieving B'stards on my Credit cards as well.
  • Options
    Got my money back off Abbey credit card but the bank account i'm having to take them to court over as they refuse to back down. Even when they pay up the letter always says 'we don't agree with the OFT's decision but as a gesture of goodwill here is X amount.' If you are with HSBC and have loads of charges i'd start celebrating now as they cough up within dayd the full amount.2 mates of mine have had over a grand each.
  • Options
    i don't think ive ever paid any charges but maybe thats because i hardly ever check my statements!!
  • Options
    Just got off the phone to my bank,tried fobbing me off but as soon as i hit em with the data protection act thing he soon backed down and said "the relevant paperwork will reach you within 20 working days".Is that right and what do i do once i receive my last 6 years worth of statements?
  • Options
    Go through and highlight all the charges off your statements, tot them up, send them back to their head office with the letter set out by one of the many sites that are advising people on this; just type unfair bank charges into google and you'll see.
  • Options
    So are we bankrupct,or are we all prostitutes?
  • Options
    would this affect your credit rating? has anyone whos been sucsessfull had their account shut down?