Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pics - Charlton in Tunisian Tournament 1975

edited February 2007 in General Charlton
Has anyone looked at the Tunisia football tournament pics on the Pics page that Admin posted on my behalf?
As I am in the pics, I would be interested to know if any other 'lifers' on here went on that tour. I'm sure a few of you recognise a number of the old 'covered-enders' from the 70's and 80's.

http://www.charltonlife.com/gallery/index.php?album=tunisia

Comments

• Options
    Brilliant pictures. Thanks for actually pointing out that they were there as i never check whether its been updated.

I dont recognise anyone but im sure a few on here will.
  • Options
    looks like scenes from Grease!

great pics
  • Options
    I was on the trip, although can't see myself in either of the pics.

I do still have the pennant, tho' (sad.....!) and a photo of all the players and supporters together at the Sahara Beach Hotel - which I am in.

I'll have to dig it out and scan it, if anyone's interested?
  • Options
    go for it!!
  • Options
    I have never heard of this trip before. Amazed that we take barely 300 to boro but took 100 to a tin pot soccer tournament in Tunisia.

Who won it?
  • Options
    I havent either. Lets hear more stories please.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: 1905[/cite]Amazed that we take barely 300 to boro
    did we take over 100 to boro?
  • Options
    You're doing really well to get em posted on the gallerey, i sent some to admin and they've never been put up.
  • Options
    yes me too badger. well consented to have some put up.
  • Options
    Badge, CI, if they were to me, then apologies.

Please send them to admin@charltonlife.com
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: 1905[/cite]I have never heard of this trip before. Amazed that we take barely 300 to boro but took 100 to a tin pot soccer tournament in Tunisia.

We used to have very good support away from home in the 70's, believe it or not. Much better than today. In those days if you woke up on a Saturday and fancied a day out to Port Vale, you could jump on the train and pay on the door.
  • Options
    Yes mate. I started travelling in the early eighties and our away support at that time was a good chunk of our home support. As you say, many a time there would be a ring round at 8 in the morning, and an hour later a car load of us would be on the road to follow the reds.

However, 100 to tunisia is a good effort....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley_McMoist[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: 1905[/cite]I have never heard of this trip before. Amazed that we take barely 300 to boro but took 100 to a tin pot soccer tournament in Tunisia.

We used to have very good support away from home in the 70's, believe it or not. Much better than today. In those days if you woke up on a Saturday and fancied a day out to Port Vale, you could jump on the train and pay on the door.

Fully agreed - we had some great away support in those days all over the country from Exeter to Carlisle and as you say it helped that we could even make a decision on the day and then meet everyone at Euston or wherever.
    Oggy Red - would be great if you could dig out some more pics.
    Regarding who won the tournament, I recall that we lost to Millwall (with Cripps missing a penalty, the ball soaring over the bar, and I'm sure he did it on purpose)! but I can't remember who won the final. We spent most of that game getting the local kids to run to the local supermarket for us getting drinks.
  • Options
    scary how much the fashion has come full circle though!!!!!
  • Options
    so what one is you Stonemuse ???
  • Options
    That is brilliant...away games I'll always remember Wolves in the FA Cup (late 70's) at least 5,000....Ipswich in the FA cup when they were good (Mariner, Gates, Mick Mill etc..)....Luton away when we lost 7-1...bummer. Our away support is poor now compared to those days....
  • Options
    I actually like the white t shirt with Charlton Athletic on it, plain simple and to the point .........
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]so what one is you Stonemuse ???

In the 2nd pic I'm near the back wearing check cheesecloth shirt and jeans - great fashions in those days ;-) leaning on my right hand, next to the guy in sunglasses
    [cite]Posted By: 1905[/cite]I actually like the white t shirt with Charlton Athletic on it, plain simple and to the point .........

The one in the white tshirt is my mate Dick Healing - a few of us had the tshirts for the tournament.
  • Options
    Millwall 2 (Moore, Hazell) Charlton 2 (Bowman, Hope) Millwall won the match on pens 4-3 and as a result the tournament.

Can't see a record of the other games
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: HOME & AWAY[/cite]Millwall 2 (Moore, Hazell) Charlton 2 (Bowman, Hope) Millwall won the match on pens 4-3 and as a result the tournament.

hey, you're only meant to start topics on games. (to be honest i just thought you were an automated system that LookOut/AFKA set up)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: ct_addick[/cite]That is brilliant...away games I'll always remember Wolves in the FA Cup (late 70's) at least 5,000....Ipswich in the FA cup when they were good (Mariner, Gates, Mick Mill etc..)....Luton away when we lost 7-1...bummer. Our away support is poor now compared to those days....

I remember all of those - great times. Wolves was terrific apart from their sub coming on and scoring a hatrick if I remember rightly. Also some great away days at the likes of Carlisle, Burnley, Chesterfield, Oldham, Blackburn (pre-success), Exeter, etc ... even a great pre-season friendly at Margate when we drank the bar dry before half-time! Football's changed a lot, not always for the better!
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    what have you got in your hand?????
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    lol haven't got a clue!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: HOME & AWAY[/cite]Millwall 2 (Moore, Hazell) Charlton 2 (Bowman, Hope) Millwall won the match on pens 4-3 and as a result the tournament.

hey, you're only meant to start topics on games. (to be honest i just thought you were an automated system that LookOut/AFKA set up)

Automated system? How very dare you! It takes me bloody hours picking out a game or two each week. Sometimes there's not much to choose from, other weeks I'm spoilt for choice.
  • Options
    and very grateful for it as well H+A. Will be getting its own category soon.

Just hope CC doesn't start claiming royalties :-)
  • Options
    Who'd have known young Talal was following us back then?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LoOkOuT[/cite]Who'd have known young Talal was following us back then?[div class=Attachments id=Attachments_50047 noWrap=false][ul compact=false][div noWrap=false]talal_el_karkouri.jpg[/div][/ul][/div]

lol - good one - although bearing in mind the date, it's probably his dad !