Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

24th- funny the way it has panned out

edited February 2007 in General Charlton
At times you can almost think there is a cosmic masterplan ;)
I think Curbs will try and play it really tight, pack the midfield and just try to pull out the result as we have seen him do with us in the past.
Think Pards will keep it tight and disciplined at the beginning but then be really urging the team to get at them and go for the win if it is still level at half time.
Both teams could still easily go down whatever the result, but there will be a huge amount of pride riding on it for both managers.
And 3 points for either team keeps some hope alive.
It's quite a scenario eh?
Can't help feeling it is a shame it is against Curbs, but he will be planning for the win just like us.
I think it is going to be a fantastic atmosphere.

Comments

• Options
    i'm worried in case the atmosphere is muted by nervousness.

i think before the game starts it'll be roaring, but as it starts, people will be biting their nails hoping we dont let a goal in!

got to try to make sure we keep the cheering going!
  • Options
    I agree with your sentiments 3blokes, its gonna be a proper one off this match, amazing atmosphere to boot!

I actually cant wait
  • Options
    To be honest I'm really looking forward to it, but I'm nervous already.
    Part of it is now that we are coming up against teams we feel we should beat.
    Which is always a worry:)
  • Options
    10 days 3 hrs and 12 mins to go!

Don't think i have looked forward to a match so much!

Carm on!
  • Options
    I am going sound like Curbishley here, but scoring first with have a massive effect on the game - crowd and team confidence.
  • Options
    If we score first and early it will all be over. I have not seen a team so lacking in confidence as West Ham for a long time......
  • Options
    Out of interest that same weekend anyone know why Chelsea, Arsenal, Villa and Man City aren't playing?
  • Options
    cos they're all looking forward to our game?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]Out of interest that same weekend anyone know why Chelsea, Arsenal, Villa and Man City aren't playing?

League Cup final? Arse v Chels. Villa and City their league opponants I'd guess.
  • Options
    Gonna be absolutely plastered by the time KO come round as having an early start so game will probably be a blur, probably be best way as will be less nervous.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Looks like it's going to be a good day, the game, and Lucky Soul in the evening as well to boot
  • Options
    Ah yes good point!! Forgotten about that.
    Also it's funny how people moan we play too many games in this country but from last weekend through to March 31st we play just 3 games (4 including the 31st). 3 games in 6 weeks yet we have to cram 4 in about 8 days over xmas. Bit stupid that!
  • Options
    I'll be going some friends who happen to be Irons fans, in the pub before hand will be full on banter I'm sure.

We are then meeting up after the game, so as the lonesome Charlton fan I'm either gonna be able to laugh at them all or be tortures with insults all night long.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]i'm worried in case the atmosphere is muted by nervousness.

i think before the game starts it'll be roaring, but as it starts, people will be biting their nails hoping we dont let a goal in!

I'm worried in case the atmosphere is muted by being too respectful to Curbishley. It'll be roaring till it starts and then when Curbishley comes out it'll be 'Welcome back Alan it's a pleasure to see you back at The Valley, good luck and let's hope we can give you three points to take back with you' then the crowd will get all soppy and clap him to his dugout, the atmosphere will be lost and we will end up sending him home happy.

IMHO we should treat him as we would with any other visiting manager and not even mention him before the game and then afterwards when we win we can say something polite to send him on his way. If we lose (not that I'm comtemplating that) then ignore the bugger. THIS IS TOO BIG A GAME TO BE NICE.
  • Options
    I'm with Ketters, I'll be arseholed by the game so should make lots of noise and have a cheerful session afterwards rather than a misery drink.
  • Options
    Totally agree Large, hopefully that soppy stadium announcer doesn't mention Curbs too much.

Obviously people should give him a extra clap, i think the west stand will see to that.

But i think the NU should be starting up the songs while he comes out !

Can't wait !
  • Options
    The club should pull the plug on the big screen before ko.

We don't want our crowd sitting in silence watching the big screen - we need everybody pumped up, big noise and intimidating atmosphere.

Can you fix it, Henry ;-)
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Or do something similar to the Chelsea game where they showed old goals with some music that got the crowd going
  • Options
    For my money I reckon that Pardew, knowing the Hammers like he does, will know that they are desperately short of confidence and, for that reason, he will encourage the boys to absolutely tear into them from kick-off, just like they did against Fulham in his first game.
    We have GOT to win this game and the first goal will be priceless so, especially as they are missing their skipper and midfield anchor in Reo-Coker, I reckon Pardew will encourage us to go 150% from the outset and try and get it sewn up before they come to grips with the game.
    I don't see anything to be gained by sitting back and giving them the chance to get into the game, they are on a desperate run and we have got to do to them what the likes of Forest and Wycombe did to us.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]i'm worried in case the atmosphere is muted by nervousness.

The club should insist that all fans spend at least 2 hours in a boozer prior to KO
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: CharltonDan[/cite]The club should insist that all fans spend at least 2 hours in a boozer prior to KO

That is good enough for me, I might even be more "committed" than that!
  • Options
    Get people in the pubs early, then in the ground early, whip it up big time like they do in other parts of the world, get the place going during warm up
  • Options
    I can guarantee if I was in the ground early I'd be needin a pee before KO..!
  • Options
    Anyone else apart from Miss and Mr Sausage, and myself going to Lucky Soul afterward to celebrate the win over the Hammers?
  • Options
    Been looking forward to this game since the beginning of the season, even more so now.

Will be meeting ollie, ketters et al for a few pre/post match.

Rothko, i think you might just be celebrating mate. Whoever said if you go 1 up early doors its all over is spot on. I've never seen a west ham side hide from the ball us much as the current crop of *ahem* players.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Anyone else apart from Miss and Mr Sausage, and myself going to Lucky Soul afterward to celebrate the win over the Hammers?

What they are about and can you get in on the door on the night?
  • Options
    Dont be so sure Mortain old Curbs knows more about this team than any other he has played so don't write him off just yet mate..!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sco[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Anyone else apart from Miss and Mr Sausage, and myself going to Lucky Soul afterward to celebrate the win over the Hammers?

What they are about and can you get in on the door on the night?

Lucky Soul are like this and it's £7 on the door with tickets on the door
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Lucky Soul are likethisand it's £7 on the door with tickets on the door

Checked one track out, is St Etienne-ish a fair assessment?
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Pretty fair assessment