Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bournemouth's Friday dilema.

Dear Marge, 

I work in a large open plan office, which for reasons beyond me, always seems to be superheated to a minimum of about 25 degrees and gets much, much, higher in the summer. Far too hot and stuffy for my liking and that of many of my colleagues too.

We seem firmly divided into those of us sweating our cods off and one or two women who are always complaining they are cold regardless of the actual temperature. These women tend to wear strappy little tops year round I would add and eat like mice.

On occasion, usually when the main offender is out and about, I sometimes dare to open a window to get 10 minutes fresh air in the office only to watch as 30 seconds later one of them walks back in and closes it without first checking whether anyone else would mind. They have been told countless times that the office is not ran for their exclusive comfort however and that perhaps they could wear a cardigan or something, they clearly feel the cold more than the average human being and it’s that easier to put on another layer than take one off. So far this hasn’t happened.

My dilemma is this, should I…<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

A.    Continue to placate them in order to maintain normal cordial relations and just lump it.

B.    Lose the plot completely and let them have it with both barrels about how selfish they are being and maybe they might want to consider moving to the Caribbean if they think 25 degrees is effing cold.

C.    Take to wearing Speedos whilst at my desk as a form of dirty protest.

Comments

• Options
    All depends on how big their tits are
  • Options
    Not as big as mine hence I'm leaning towards Option C at the moment...
  • Options

Answer is C.

Pictures pse of them in their strappy little tops assuming they are not horrors (not you in your Speedos).

• Options
    Definitely Option C. Possibly accompanied by a bow tie to ensure that you conform to any "Smart Dress" employer policies.
  • Options
    Combine B and C.  Get someone to video it and put it on youtube.  You'll be an internet sensation.
  • Options

There are minimum and maximum guidlines as far as heating a work space goes, if you google it you have all you need to know at your fingertips.

It sounds to me that you are employed as apposed to being the owner so speak to your boss and explain the situation and a happy medium will need to be agreed upon.

If the girls are wearing strappy tops at this time of the year assuming the office will be like a sauna they are not taking others into account, likewise if the office reaches a certain temperature in the summer you are entitled to say something.

• Options

Definitely C and if that doesn't work, couldn't you ask somebody to turn the heating down a bit?

• Options
    Definately C! For a while and then when one of them says anything switch to B
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    D - accuse the girls of playing with the facility manager's knob ?  
  • Options

Definitely C and if that doesn't work, couldn't you ask somebody to turn the heating down a bit?

Thanks Bexley, we hadn't thought of turning it down...

:-)

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Thanks Bexley, we hadn't thought of turning it down...

:-)

I refer you to option D and east stand's email then bournemouth - their taking the piss. B,C,D and a Raul Moat style ending should do it.
  • Options

E - download "Feeling Hot, Hot, Hot", "The Heat is On", "Copacabana", "Hot in the City", etc onto Ipod. Take Ipod and speakers into office. Wear flip flops, aforementioned Speedos, back to front baseball cap and slap sun cream on. Play Ipod. Arrange for ice-cream van to play its tune outside your office. Pretend to collapse and start talking jibberish, blaming the heat etc. Get fake paramedics to take you away in a fake ambulance. Get fake doctor to ring your office & speak to one of the ladies saying you've been put on a drip due to dehydration.

Hope this helps.

• Options

E - download "Feeling Hot, Hot, Hot", "The Heat is On", "Copacabana", "Hot in the City", etc onto Ipod. Take Ipod and speakers into office. Wear flip flops, aforementioned Speedos, back to front baseball cap and slap sun cream on. Play Ipod. Arrange for ice-cream van to play its tune outside your office. Pretend to collapse and start talking jibberish, blaming the heat etc. Get fake paramedics to take you away in a fake ambulance. Get fake doctor to ring your office & speak to one of the ladies saying you've been put on a drip due to dehydration.

Hope this helps.

That would be amazing if that actually happened tbf
  • Options
    Couldnt you "accidentally" break a pane of glass?
  • Options

Go to your doctors and tell him the excessive heat in your office is making you feel unwell, if you manage to pull it off show the sick certificate to your boss/HR department, when they read the reason things will change and David Attenburgh will be filming the next series of "Frozen Planet" from your desk.

Paying you for time off is bad enough but anything that might lead to a potential claim will soon make your boss sit up and take notice especially if the word "stress" is mentioned. 

• Options
    edited November 2011

c defffo, or at least compromise, shirt off, wear shorts and flippies.

• Options
    B! I hate it when people do this on the bus/train. Though its usually the other way round. They get on the bus in a huge coat and open all the windows. TAKE THE COAT OFF YOU IDIOT! 
    Ahem. B.
  • Options
    edited November 2011

Play the green card.

Public sector workers daren't say it's all a load of bollocks!

Tell them that turning the heating down 5 or 10 degrees can save the planet.

In my working experience those who moan about others driving are the worst offenders when it comes to putting the office heating up to ridiculously high levels and yes they are usually women.

One law for them one for us.

• Options

Genius Len - Women are gluttons for a bit of greenery, at least being seen to be green anyway.

• Options
    I have called them both Planet Killers tbf but by all accounts their personal comfort is more important...

Liking the ideas so far guys but where's the female input?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have called them both Planet Killers tbf but by all accounts their personal comfort is more important... Liking the ideas so far guys but where's the female input?
    The girls have not got time to type on here, too busy turning up the rads! 
  • Options
    BREEAM is a word that could come in handy Bournmouth - throw it about a bit. What type of business are you in? Do they extend or add to their properties much? If so, the planners will be interested in all this sort of stuff - could be a feather in your cap and a way to get the powers that be interested. 
  • Options
    Chair---> Window
  • Options
    I have called them both Planet Killers tbf but by all accounts their personal comfort is more important... Liking the ideas so far guys but where's the female input?
    Can't help with your dilemma I'm afraid, it's like a bloody freezer in my office!
  • Options
    Can't help with your dilemma I'm afraid, it's like a bloody freezer in my office!
    Turn the heating up to about 25 that should sort it ; )
  • Options
    My old office had an unusual temperature control system. We had one woman who was always hot and another who was always cold. We therefore knew that if they were the only people complaining it was the right temperature!
  • Options
    Turn the heating up to about 25 that should sort it ; )
     Or shut the window thats always open next to the bloke who wears the thermal vests.
  • Options
    I run the office so i have a secret little knob at the back which i run off and I switch it up or turn it down depending on how bad my hot flushes are.

• Options
    You have a secret knob?
  • Options
    Yep, i love playing with it and driving everyone mad.