Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Another puzzle

Comments

• Options
    13,983,816 same Odds as it before a particular 6 out of 49

what is more likely, a tree i can't hear falling on my head or me winning a six outta six on lotto?

• Options

If you left a recording device in the forrest, it would record the sound, I have never understood this theory...

i believe the question was first proposed before recording devices were invented. So nowadays the 'nobody' is interpreted as anything with the ability to pick up and amplify sound waves which is basically what our ears do.

But also the philosophers question to your point is 'if a tree falls in a forest and there is a recording device there but nobody ever listens to the recording, did the tree make a sound'? :-)

both answers yes and no are correct depending on which science and it's definition if sound you use.

• Options

what is more likely, a tree i can't hear falling on my head or me winning a six outta six on lotto?

the tree 6 times over :-)
  • Options
    edited November 2011

Doesn't it also depend on when you're working out the statistics? On an individual basis the statistics are always the same, but if your asking the odds of the same numbers being drawn twice in a row (as the question could be read as), wouldn't the statistics change?
  • Options
    Barnsley ?
  • Options
    The odds of the same numbers coming out two weeks running are 1 in 13,983,816 squared.

• Options
    I'm first on earth, second in heaven, I appear once in a year, and twice in a week, and I live in the middle of the sea what am I ?? :)
  • Options
    e

Yep
    e
  • Options

What is it that is deaf, dumb and blind and always tells the truth?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    A house has four walls.  It is a rectangular structure and each wall faces south.  A bear wanders by outside; what colour is it?
  • Options
    White cos the house is built on the north pole and the bear is a Polar Bear.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    There are 4 marbles in a bag. One is red, one is yellow and the other two are blue. If I pick out two marbles at random, look in my hand and show you a blue marble, what are the odds that the other marble is also blue?
  • Options
    There are 6 marbles in a bag. One is red, one is yellow and the other two are blue. If I pick out two marbles at random, look in my hand and show you a blue marble, what are the odds that the other marble is also blue?
    Are the other two marbles colourless? Or is that the point  or has your
    maths gone a bit funny? If your maths is funny, 1 in three or if there are
    actually 6 marbles, then 1 in 5.
  • Options
    There are 6 marbles in a bag. One is red, one is yellow and the other two are blue. If I pick out two marbles at random, look in my hand and show you a blue marble, what are the odds that the other marble is also blue?
    Are the other two marbles colourless? Or is that the point  or has your
    maths gone a bit funny? If your maths is funny, 1 in three or if there are
    actually 6 marbles, then 1 in 5.
    Sorry, there are 4 marbles in total not 6
  • Options
    There are 4 marbles in a bag. One is red, one is yellow and the other two are blue. If I pick out two marbles at random, look in my hand and show you a blue marble, what are the odds that the other marble is also blue?
    Just over 28% chance that the other marble is blue.
  • Options

This puzzle is actually more complicated than it seems; the complication being that you pick up two marbles at the same time and then show just one of them. So you don't know whether the blue marble being shown is the first marble picked up or the second. If you pick up just one marble at random & it is blue, then obviously there is then a 1 in 3 chance that the 2nd marble picked up will also be blue. However, if you pick up two marbles at random there are 9 possible combinations -  pick a red one first: RY, RB1, RB2  - pick a yellow one first: YR,YB1,YB2  - pick a blue one first BR, BY,BB2. Of these 9 possible combinations 6 include 1 blue, 2 include no blues at all & only 1 includes 2 blues (count them). Therefore having picked up 2 marbles at random, if you then elect to show a blue marble first, there is only a 1 in 7 chance that the 2nd marble is also blue.

Does that make sense?

• Options
    edited November 2011
    What's big, hard and hairy and sticks out of your pyjamas first thing in the morning?
  • Options
    A house has four walls.  It is a rectangular structure and each wall faces south.  A bear wanders by outside; what colour is it?
    White
  • Options
    Just over 28% chance that the other marble is blue.
    Having thought about this again, it doesn't matter if he shows you one of the marbles or not.
    The chances of scooping 2 blues in a single dip into the bag is 1 in 6, and this is not altered by the fact that you are shown the colour of one afterwards.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Which creature in the morning goes on four legs, at mid-day on two, and
    in the evening upon three, and the more legs it has, the weaker it be?
  • Options
    Is a walking stick a leg ? ;)
  • Options
    Which creature in the morning goes on four legs, at mid-day on two, and
    in the evening upon three, and the more legs it has, the weaker it be?

That would be 'Man' ... or woman of course ;-)
  • Options
    Which creature in the morning goes on four legs, at mid-day on two, and in the evening upon three, and the more legs it has, the weaker it be?
    A horse that can't make his mind up
  • Options
    What's big, hard and hairy and sticks out of your pyjamas first thing in the morning?

Your head.

What's pink and hard in the mornings?

• Options

Ah, the intellectual thread.

Here are a couple that I find quite intriguing:

a) Imagine a rope stretching around the equator of a symmetrical spherical earth and touching the surface at all points.  How much longer would the rope have to be such that it is now raised exactly one metre above the earth's surface at all points?

b) Zeno's Paradox

Two runners have a race, but the slower of the two gets a head start.  The faster runner can never overtake the slower runner because, by the time the faster runner gets to where the slower runner started from, some time has elapsed, so the slower runner will have moved forward and will still be ahead.

Similarly, the faster runner will take a finite amount of time to get to where the slower run now is, and during this time, the slower runner will have moved forward and will still be ahead.

Once again, the faster runner will take a finite amount of time to get to where the slower run now is, and during this time, the slower runner will have moved forward and will still be ahead.

Etc, etc, etc.

Don't you just love maths?

• Options

Your head.

What's pink and hard in the mornings?

FT crossword (or your c*ck)
  • Options
    Kanu?
  • Options

a) Imagine a rope stretching around the equator of a symmetrical spherical earth and touching the surface at all points.  How much longer would the rope have to be such that it is now raised exactly one metre above the earth's surface at all points?

Pi x 41 : - )
  • Options

Pi x 41 : - )

Units, please, Irving?  Units?

See me in my study after prep (whatever that is).