Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Decent films out on DVD rental - Suggestions?

I don't go to the pictures that often, well not as much as I'd like to. I always enjoy the trailers and many times think to myself that I must catch this film or that film when it is realised at the cinema.
However they usually pass me by. Yesterday I was in Blockbusters looking for a DVD to watch last night. I was bemoaning the fact that I couldn't remember any of the films that I had seen previewed. They have the top so many on show, but so many DVD's are released every week that films from just a few weeks ago are soon banished to the "other" shelves.
I chose a film called The Sentinel with Michael Douglas and Kieffer Sutherland. Not bad really. I'd never heard of it before and only chose because of the cast.
Anyway I would be grateful of any recommendations for decent films out on DVD, I like thrillers/murder mystery/conspiracy things mainly.

Comments

• DaVinci Code - Not as good as the book, but is a decent thriller
  • is The Departed out?

Great film, but not as good as the Japanese version it "ripped" off
  • "Anyway I would be grateful of any recommendations for decent films out on DVD, I like thrillers/murder mystery/conspiracy things mainly."

I've just finishing reading a John Le Carre novel - "The Constant Gardener" which was made into a film that was Oscar nominated a couple of years ago and is supposed to be good. A bit of conspiarcy theory in that with a big pharmaceutical company using Kenyans to test a drug with TB with disastrous consequences for those it was being tested on.
  • Constant Gardner is a great film
  • [cite]Posted By: CharltonDan[/cite]Constant Gardner is a great film

Good call - and it could so easily have been one of those films where it tries to force the guilt of the situation into your face and onto your shoulders. Worth a viewing and ticks all three of your favourite types of film if I remember rightly.
  • edited February 2007
    Some of the UK Top 50 (some not)

Constant gardener is good...
    Sin City - good
    Snakes on a plane - went to dvd a bit quick, wonder why??
    You me and Dupree - average to funny
    My super ex gf - havent seen it..
    Miami Vice - disappointingly average
    The break up - as super ex gf
    Borat - mixed reports, havent seen it
    Lady in the Water - unusual little tale
    Inside man - better than average crime caper
    Click - funny but only in a couple of places
    Hard Candy - a bit unusual, not everyones cuppa tea
    The Lake house - havent seen it
    Posiedon - don't often do remakes..
    16 blocks - havent seen it
    Walk the line - supposed to be good but my least fav leading actors
    Syriania - promised much delivered average, and too long
    Flightplan - formulaic pap
    Little miss sunshine - fairly obvious swipe at the scary US kiddie beauty comp circuit.

I see a lot so tell me some more and ill give you an idea
  • edited February 2007
    Thank you!
  • Inside man, is a good call a bit lighter than the Constant Gardener aswell but ticks all the boxes.
  • Freedom Land - ghetto yarn, bit of a twist, above average
    Ice storm - slightly above average thriller about a guy trying to leave his murky past behind him
    Right at your Door - urban house hubby in Dirty bomb thriller, nice twist at the end, but still a bit average
  • Whicker man - the reason I dont do remakes...
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]Whicker man - the reason I dont do remakes...

The original was crap too. I mean absolute crap! I'd heard what a scary film this was. Always being voted top or near in lists as best UK film etc...
    Well I couldn't believe what I was seeing. People running around streets with animal masks on. The only good bit was Britt Ekaland dancing in the buff- and it wasn't even her apparently. Edward Woodwood hamming it up massively. Total bollocks IMO.
    As for remakes, three of all time favouties have been remade recently, The Italian Job, Alfie and my favourite of all time Get Carter. I refuse to acknowledge their existance.
  • Seem to remember liking Whicker man but it was a long time ago, one of those films that are slow paced and you watch em late at night, I'm a bit of Hammer fan.. (cue gags about big trousers and East London)
  • edited February 2007
    The "remake" of the Italian Job isn't that bad actually. It's more like a sequel, as the italian bit is only the first 15 minutes or so. Talking of remakes, I quite enjoyed the Vinnie Jones version of "The Mean Machine", although it's not a thriller. Put me down as another recommendation for "Inside Man", and though I've not seen Children of Men yet, it's on my "to rent" list.
  • Do you have the Centenary DVD?

Plenty of action and suspense.
  • Razil - I think you missed the point completely with Little Miss Sunshine.
  • wait a month and get 'Pans labyrinth' on DVD, amazing film
  • Snakes On A Plane is muuuuuuuuuuuuch better than the title suggests. Purposefully cheesy & very funny @ times, even when you know something is coming.
    Talladega Nights is very funny too!
  • edited February 2007
    The Fountain (not on dvd yet), interesting visual cinematic experience - best seen at cinema. Bit different to say the least, somewhat self indulgent/not everyone's cup of tea. I would recommend to those not wanting the usual 'popcorn', I'd be interested to know what others thought?
  • Watched Children of Men last night, wasn't sure that it would be any good, but must say that I enjoyed it and was pleasantly surprised.
  • [cite]Posted By: cafcpolo[/cite]Snakes On A Plane is muuuuuuuuuuuuch better than the title suggests. Purposefully cheesy & very funny @ times, even when you know something is coming.
    Talladega Nights is very funny too!

Agreed. Sam Jackson is quality!

"ITS TIME TO GET THESE MUTHFUKING SNAKES OFF THIS MUTHFUKING PLANE!"

Proper old skool B Movie!
  • Sponsored links:

• I watched snakes on a plane last night... i did have to watch through my fingers in places being a bit of a chicken!! quite enjoyed it though as love Sam Jackons. Got rocky to watch wednesday night.