Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

We'll all follow the Charlton.....

regarding the song that goes like this, and has the line "and Leicester" 
Firstly is it Leicester that is sung and secondly is this the same team that all other teams sing about, as I've just heard this sang in the Chelsea v Arsenal game, if it is, why Leicester?

Please help!

Comments

• Ive always thought it was because when you are on the M1 heading away from civilisation there is a sign that says "The North and Leicester".  Could be massively wrong though and think Chelsea used to sing it first.

• It is Leicester. 
    I think its something to do with a motorway sign. Right? 
    That says "TO THE NORTH and Leicester" as Leicester is neither north or south, its on its own plane of existence. 
  • I think it might be something like that sign on the M1 saying THE NORTH and Leicester.......
  • It's WE all follow the Charlton
  • edited October 2011

Always used to be -

"We hate Nottingham Forest

We hate liverpool too..............and Leicester

We hate Man United

But Charlton, we love you"

• Always used to be -

We hate Man United

You're showing your age, DFT

• The song goes now .....Over land and sea,but just how many fans do this to watch Charlton.

• Glad that's been cleared up. Been wondering this for years.
  • edited October 2011
    Sorry to be an old fart but this has been done to death on the old Charlton Fans Forum on the OS. The song used to be 'We all follow the Charlton over Land and Sea and Leicester'. Being an old school supporter from the 1960's onwards I was always led to believe that it was because the old Leicester Filbert Street ground was so bad in winter that the grounds staff had to put tons of sand on it and therefore it was neither Land or Sea it was a Beach! Maybe  Oggy or Goonerhater can support this theory?
  • It's not just Chelsea who sing that, most teams do. And the reference to Leicester supposedly originates from a time when Leicester's ground was in a very poor state of affairs. The song used to go "we all follow the Charlton, over land and sea. We all follow the CHARLTON, they're the team for me" then during one particular game at Leicester against (another team whose name escapes me but let's just say) Blackpool, the Blackpool faithful were singing that song, and one fan, observing the awful environment in which the teams were playing piped up "and Leicester".
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2011

Always used to be -

We hate Man United

Spot on DFT - this was how it originated - had nothing to do with Leicester being a shit hole. It was carried on when the words were changed to "We all follow etc"
  • You are surely not suggesting that it originated from us?

I always remember it as West Ham United rather than Man United

• It was added because it was funny -don't think it needs any more analysis.
  • edited October 2011
    If you read the original post Bingaddick by Creepyaddick, he queried why the mention of Leicester when he heard it sung recently and it being a shithole was exactly the explanation he was looking for! There have been several variations of the song and D_F_T is correct in his recollection of the original song and no one said the Leicester version was the original did they?
  • The song goes now .....Over land and sea,but just how many fans do this to watch Charlton.

I know a bloke who comes from the IOW to watch us.

Some will have traveled to Italy for the Anglo Italian cup, or the pre-season tour of Spain, and ROI a few years before that.
    We have also toured Sweden in the past.

I know someone who drives from canvey island every time charlton are at home....
  • for some reason i always thought they said leicester cos it was such a shit hole it was neither land or sea!