Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

One for the CL war historians: WW2: German aircraft carrier.

edited October 2011 in Not Sports Related
Did they have any? Whilst watching 'Sink the Bismark'  again the other day and I thought that the ship might have escaped us if they'd had a carrier floating around the N.Atlantic somewhere. Then I realised I've never seen John Mills, Richard Attenborough, Kenneth More, Sam Kydd , John Gregson etc. etc. ever have dealings wih a German carrier: it's always surface raiders, battleships,or U-boats. Did the Kriegsmarine actually have any, and if so, where were they?

Comments

• Options
    I'm sure I've read before that Hitler was unimpressed with the Aircraft carriers that they were building after a lost battle so they scrapped plans to use them?
  • Options
    'Sink the Bismark'  John Mills, Richard Attenborough, Kenneth More, Sam Kydd , John Gregson etc. etc.

Proper film/s for real men.

• Options
    Interesting link.  The Tirpitz was another strange situation which demonstrated a lack of decent strategy on the German navy's part.  Scary, state of the arts ship, which spent most of it's short life in port in Norway, although the RN had to allocate resources keeping an eye on it, it was not used to anywhere near its full potential.   Hitler got cold feet after losing the Bismark and didn't want to risk it losing that also. 
  • Options

Right, thanks for that chaps, another query sorted!

Of course one other attraction of 'Sink the Bismark' was the lovely Dana Wynter who made quite an impression when I saw the film (aged 13) at the Gravesend Majestic in 1960. Perhaps it was the uniform!

• Options

Found this little tit bit , very interesting

German Aircraft Carriers

The answer is 'yes'. According to 'Jane's Fighting Ships of World War II'; 2 were laid down in 1936 under the naval programme of that year. They were the 'Graf Zeppelin' and the 'Peter Strasser. Only one, the 'Graf Zeppelin' was completed. It was photographed from the air, fitting out, alongside a quay at Kiel in July 1940. It is then believed to have proceeded to Gdynia in Poland. Length was 820 1/2 feet, beam was 88 1/2 feet and draught was 18 1/2 feet. She was built to take 40 aircraft. I can find no record of involvement in any action and she obviously did not survive the war as Jane's has to guess at some items such as the superstructure. As the Russians advanced through the Baltic States the Germans carried out a lot of withdrawals by sea and suffered large naval losses which don't appear to have been well documented. It's possible that the 'Graf Zeppelin' was one such casualty but that is only a presumption! I will try to find out more.

And more input:

Having done a lot more research, scrub the supposition at the end of my first submission. Rivalry between Goering, who delayed the development and production of the necessary aircraft, and Raeder gave rise to delays and the ship was only about 90% completed. She was removed to Gdynia in 1940 as a safer location to be laid up. She was used to store the fine fittings removed from other German warships to reduce the risk of fire during combat. Fear of Soviet bombing caused her to be removed again, this time to Stettin. In 1942 she was returned to Kiel for more work but other priority work caused more delays so in April 1943 she was returned to Stettin for good and as Raeder was removed from office (at his own request) work never resumed again. She was scuttled in shallow water in April 1945 but was refloated by the victorious Soviets the following spring and eventually towed to Leningrad in 1947.She appears to have been damaged on the way and could not be repaired so she was towed into deep water in 1947 and used for target practice by Soviet ships and aircraft. She did not sink easily. The wreck of the Graf Zeppelin has never been located.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Did_Germany_have_aircraft_carriers_during_World_War_2#ixzz1c021qd57

• Options
    Thanks for that Fadgadget, looks like we should thank Herman for cocking that for them. Imagine what might have happened if they'd got things sorted and had a couple of carriers loose in the Atlantic and the Med!  Especially as we only had the 'stringbags' to attack them with in the early days. 
  • Options
    We would have sunk it sooner rather than later just as we did with their other big ships that left port.  Even with the French ports we still ruled the waves.  Beneath the waves was another story but we won that in the end as well.

Just shows just how badly run the German war machine was though.
  • Options
    Quite Henry, might have been different if 'you know who' hadn't interfered and left it the professionals.
  • Options
    Quite Henry, might have been different if 'you know who' hadn't interfered and left it the professionals.
    If "you know who" hadn't been the interfering/controlling type, there wouldn't have been a war in the first place!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wonderful stuff Fadgadget. Very interesting. First class research. Well Done!!!!!