Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Article: Are We Too Dependant On BWP?

2»

Comments

• the 2nd striker should still be getting more than 8 p season
  • the 2nd striker should still be getting more than 8 p season
    With Jackson on 5 and Kermorgant on 4 already, It would be nice to think that our third striker will be on more that 8 :-)
  • edited October 2011
    Cheers stig proberly one of the most thought provoking, threads in ages,

I think that we are not too reliant on BWP, I believe that we will create chances that any of our current squad would score from, the thing with BWP is that we have no one else in the squad that is a full on out and out striker , his instinct to sniff a goal has def been passed on from wright,

BWP goals are proper strikers goals his first wasc about his ability to sniff an opportunity, his 2nd was pure striker no other thought than to shoot across the keeper low and hard and early

That's what we are reliant on
  • good piece and stats stig.

Through thinking about it, i think we are probably less reliant than what i originally thought in terms of goals. BWP has got 10, whoever is partnering him has got 7. That ratio continues then we are looking like finishing the season with 50+ goals provided by our front pairing.

We also have 4/5 players across the midfield who all contribute on the goals front.

Where we definately are reliant on BWP is our attacking approach. If he gets injured, we have no like for like style replacement, so we automatically have no striker who is comfortable with working the channels, getting behind and getting the defenders facing their own goal. Defences will naturally play a higher line against us and we would have to change our style of play.

How much impact that would have on us, i really don't know.
  • As it stands, yes, maybe we do count on BWP to score the goals, but then so does he, as weird as that sounds. Hayes and Kermorgant have both been more along the lines of hold up and lay off, BWP does his bit by burying the chances they create. If he were to be injured/suspended I'd have faith in one of our other strikers taking his place perfectly well, maybe not quite as good as he was but more than well enough.
  • edited October 2011

excellent thought provoking post  - which really has no answer or conclusion !!

Early in the season I said a couple of times that i didn't think we would get promoted with the strikers we had at that time (BWP, Hayes, Benno & Euell)  - Now that Kermit has joined us I am starting to change my views. As someone said above, a front 2 pairing of  BWP & either Hayes or Kermit can get 40+ between them then I think we should be able to get promoted.

You can't ask for a 20+ a season goalscorer then moan that we rely on him too much, unless you have 2 other players getting 20+ a season,,,,,,,,,,,,,and that never happens.

All I say at the moment is enjoy !

• We are as he will get 20+ goals if he stays fit. But at the other end I think we're very reliant in keeping the back 4 fit as their workrate and defending has been the best I've seen down here in years.

• If we didn't have hime we would all be saying that we need a striker like madine rhodes etc...

For once we've got a great striker we've lacked since bent and we're all complaining...

Brighten up fellow fans.

• Great thread Stig - nice figures you've put together. IMHO there's no harm if a team relies on a single player (especially goalscorer) as long as the player's good enough. I would argue that the two strongest teams in the world - Barcelona & Man Utd rely as heavily on their star players (Messi & Rooney) as we do on BWP. The only difference being that BWP seems to be more injury prone.

At the moment, I'd worry more about getting him to sign a contract extension so we don't lose him next year.
  • Bradley is an excellent focal point for our attack and no doubt losing him for a sustained period of time would be a big blow.

HOWEVER, anywhere you look throughout this team you find goals.

I would be happy with an attack based around the talents of Kermit/Hayesy/Benno

JJ, Waggy, Green, Stephens all provide a potent threat of goals from the midfield as well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Without BWP we won't make the automatics with him we have a chance
    All great players's teams rely heavily on them and comparatively speaking BWP is our great player (for league one anyway)
  • I sort of agree - I think if BWP stays fit we will definitely make the automatics and if not and we are unable to replace him, then we would probably be looking at the play offs. mind you Huddersfeld and Sheff Wednesday fans may say similar with Rhoades and Madine. I think BWP is the best striker in the division - he has quite a lot of his dad about him IMO.
  • edited October 2011
    Looking at these figures, it seems that Wright-Phillips hasn't even been our best striker since Kermorgant joined.  BWP is averaging 118 minutes to score each goal whereas Kermit has taken just 103.5 for each of his.  This begs a new question:  BWP, is he pulling his weight?  ;-) 

Seriously though.  What a great position to be in where we have two strikers on such great form.  Long may it continue.  :-)
  • BWP is such a slacker. :)
  • Dont get me wrong, BWP is awesome and so important to us. However, I think if he was to suffer a set back, Hayes and Kermogant could be formidable!There both players that are very easy to play alongside, just like BWP reiterates on CAFC player in his interview.
  • Forget the Stats. Forget BWP. Forget everything.

Please remember!!!!!!!!

We have a good team. Remember we are top of the league. Remember we can beat most teams in this division, Remember we were rubbish last season. Please please remember we were the first club ever to go from the third division to the first and finish runners up in the top flight.

I don't know about you lot but i have a feeling in my water that good times are around the corner and BWP has helped to make this happen.

COYA and COYR

Onwards and Upwards. Put them to the Sword
  • If Kermit keeps up his current rate fantastic but we can't be sure he will yet, whilst we know 100% that BWP is a goalscorer who will always get goals.