Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Notes on a Scandal (film) and Charlton - update

edited February 2007 in General Charlton
An earlier post mentioned a passing reference in this film to Charlton when Judi Dench says, "My father followed Charlton Athletic and it never seemed to give him much pleasure."

However, I think there was also a more subtle connection - the person she was speaking to had just returned from a Spurs match, and said Defoe had scored. This is the betrayal scene at the heart of the film - in fact Dench goes on to talk about Judas straight after....Coincidence? I don't think so.

Comments

• Options
    the plot thickens!

Hopefully I'll get to see this later in the week, I'll have a think about possible connections.
  • Options
    Has Mr Grade had a hand in the film in some way?
  • Options
    Interesting thought, Dan.
    The comment about Charlton resulted in a guffaw of laughter from the other side of the cinema - yes, even in Glasgow! I had to heckle back...
  • Options
    I don't know if the line appears in Zoe Heller's novel, but the screenplay's by Patrick Marber - who used to write comedy for Steve Coogan. Marber grew up in Wimbledon.
  • Options
    Thanks, Inspector. Keep sleuthing...
  • Options
    Saw it yesterday - fine film, and the Judas line stuck in my head too!

(the Charlton line got the biggest laugh of the film in the Greenwich Picturehouse as well...)

I know someone who's going out to the Oscars and have just asked her to ask Marber if she runs into him!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]
    I know someone who's going out to the Oscars and have just asked her to ask Marber if she runs into him!

Is it Helen Mirren?
  • Options
    Hehehe. Sadly no.

Actually, the Spurs fan in the film also comes across as a bit of a snivelling tosser with no life. Draw your own conclusions.
  • Options
    chalky the ponce so i'm told...but thats a different film altogether.