Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The week that was - Feb 12th 1938 Charlton 1 Villa 1 Att.........

edited February 2007 in General Charlton
One to tuck away in the memory vault for quiz buffs here.

F.A. Cup 5th Round, 12th February 1938 The Valley Att: 75,031

Charlton Athletic 1 (0) (Robinson) Aston Villa 1 (1) (Shell)

Charlton: Bartram, Turner, Jimmy Oakes, Green, John Oaks, Welsh, Tadman, Robinson, Owens, Boulter, Hobbis.

Aston Villa: Biddlestone, Callaghan, Cummings, Massie, Allen, Iverson, Broome, Haycock, Shell, Starling, Houghton.

Record crowd: The attendance of 75,031 set a new record at The Valley that still exists today. However the gross receipts at £3,918 14s 0d were low in comparison to other big clubs of that period and a direct result of Charltons failure to provide sufficient seating accommodation.

F.A. Cup 5th Round replay, 16th February 1938 at Villa Park Att: 61,530

Aston Villa 2 (0) (Broome, Shell) Charlton Athletic 2 (1) (Brown (2)) *After extra time.

F.A. Cup 5th Round 2nd replay, 21st February 1938 at Highbury Att:64,782

Charlton Athletic 1 (1) (Tadman 28) Aston Villa 4 (0) (Broome 58,88,89, Haycock 84)

Charlton were reduced to ten men in the 30th minute when Hobbis broke his right leg. In the 88th minute Tadman limped off, reducing Charlton to nine men.

F.A. Cup Record: Aggregate attendances for the matches totalled 201,343, an all time record for a series of three matches in the competition.

Highbury venue: After the first replay, the Villa Chairman flung 31 coins on his boardroom table to decide the venue of the 2nd replay. Charlton Chairman Albert Gliksten had chosen heads and won 16-15 which meant the game was played at Highbury instead of Molineux if tails had won.

Comments

• Options
    Nope. I wasn't there...... ;-)
  • Options
    My Father and Grandparents were definitely there and probably my Great Grandfather.
  • Options
    Superb stuff, H&A. Imagine if they took the toss like that for kick-off!
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    My Dad was there for the first game. He would have been 14. He told me that kids were passed over the heads of the adults to the front to stand on or near the old perimeter fence. I may be wrong but wasn't there a game against Arsenal where the official attendance was less but a gate was opened and loads got in for free?

The biggest crowd I was in at the Valley was about 33,000 in the late 70's against QPR in a league cup game. That was after the terrace where the Jimmy Seed stand is now was reduced so the capacity was under 70,000. It was extremely tight on the terraces. I cannot imagine how it would be possible to have twice that number? I suppose people mayhave been smaller/thinner then which might account for it?
  • Options
    Another 5th round F.A. cup tie. Feb 18th 1956 at home to Arsenal I suspect is the game. Official attendance was a meagre 71,767. (for the record we lost 0-2)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: HOME & AWAY[/cite]Another 5th round F.A. cup tie. Feb 18th 1956 at home to Arsenal I suspect is the game. Official attendance was a meagre 71,767. (for the record we lost 0-2)

Yeah, I guess that was the one I was thinking about. Fancy that only 71,000 eh. What do you think about my smaller/thinner theory? I just can't see how you could fit that many of us modern chaps into that space.
  • Options
    Well I've been in a few 30,000+ crowds at The Valley like yourself and it was pretty snug, so to have had more than double that would have the safety police of today having kittens!
  • Options
    1938 ??

If this forum turns up someone from at this game, i'll buy them a bottle of pale ale !!
  • Options
    If you're buying, mate.......then I WAS there......!! ;-)
  • Options
    Mines a brown and mild.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A bit of reading for the bored.
  • Options
    No, I wasn't there.

Ask Len Glover.

;o)
  • Options
    For the interested.........