Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Swimming pools with flumes

2»

Comments

• Options
    BDL said:
    Remember when they first installed the flumes at the old Crook Log. One of them was particularly vicious and resulted in several people breaking arms. You used to have to buy tokens for a slide. We used to stay in the splash pool and wait for the ladies to be unceremoniously dumped out of the flume and into the pool, resulting in the odd swimming attire malfunction. Remember one of my mates stopping himself halfway down. I can still see him sitting there screaming out Aha dangerous Brothers ( yep that dates me) as we all piled into him. The resulting tsunami in the pool got us all kicked our and banned. As for nowadays, Cascades in Thong Lane has a wave machine and two flumes, one is how I imagine it must be like to be flushed down the loo!
    As mentioned above by JohnBoy, the flumes were Vortex and Sidewinder. I remember when they were opened (83ish?) - they got loads of coverage and Crook Log was packed. The "vicious" one had a very tame start which provided a false sense of security as it quickly sped up and with sharp turns and one big dip (where most of the injuries occurred). The other one looked really fast at the start but was then pretty tame.

Eltham Baths attempt was perhaps the biggest waste of money of all time...