Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Eden Project - Anyone been?

Amped to be jumping in the VW with the crew and the boards heading for some Cornish beach breaks in a couple of weeks and wondered if it would be worth taking time out to check out The Eden project.
I see admission is cheaper if you cycle there!
Is it worth the £18 admission?

Comments

• If you're in the area, it's worth checking out, but I wouldn't make a special trip just for it.

We have some friends who live that way, who had brought an annual pass for a few quid more, so we used them.
    It should take best part of a day to see all of it, so for £ 18.00 it's not bad value.

Apart from the Domes full of plants and stuff, there are other bits and bobs you can get involved with.
    I think there was rock climbing and zip lines etc when we went a few years ago.

One of the domes gets very hot and humid the higher you go up, so be warned!

• Nice one Phantom
    Thanks for the insight.

This isnt you on a night out is it?
  • We're avid plant lovers so for us it was heaven, but there were quite a few screaming kids and fed up adults about. The history of the whole project and the domes themselves are fascinating, real guts and determination to see a vision through. There are some weird and wonderful exotic plants, good restauarant and little extras dotted about. But you do really need a good weather day, sunshine seems a prerequisite. I can't imagine it competing with good surf though and probably wouldn't advise non plantophiles to go out of their way to see it.

• Thanks, Still. Not sure we will go now - I love the concept and as you say the vision, but if its good weather, I'm not sure I want to be under a dome.
    Err I used to be indecisive...
  • If you do make it down to Cornwall, try the lost gardens of Heligan,about 5 miles from the Eden project.
  • If you do make it down to Cornwall, try the lost gardens of Heligan,about 5 miles from the Eden project.
    Tell me more....;-)
  • google it, it will do it more justice than I could :-)  .  Both garden's are very good,one is man made, the other is natural.    

• google it, it will do it more justice than I could :-)  .  Both garden's are very good,one is man made, the other is natural.    

Wow - great story, and a very good website.
    Thanks C block. Worth a tenner then?
  • Or save your money and go to the local woods. ;-)
  • Or save your money and go to the local woods. ;-)
    I would, were it not for that pesky restraining order.....
  • Sponsored links:

We loved this place as well, and overall did indeed prefer it to Eden. Lots of walking with little 'finds' everyhwere. Plus it's so close to Mevagissey and the beaches that it may fit into your overall plans very well?
  • Right - done deal. Lost gardens it is.
    Hopefully less rug rats too.
    Thanks chaps. The lost gardens of Charlton Life come up trumps again!
  • edited October 2011

Floyd

While you're down there , if you fancy a decent pint try this one. Near Falmouth.

Takes a bit of finding but worthwhile, decent grub too.

www.trengilly.co.uk

• edited October 2011
    Loved the lost gardens of Heligan , preferred it to the eden project , but it may have had something to do with the bad weather when we went to the Eden project, think they had an indoor ice rink at the Eden project last time i went.
  • A pal of mine took his family there for the day...three sons aged between 15 and 7.............they didn't enjoy it!
  • Went earlier this year. Didn't think it was all that great.
  • edited October 2011
    A pal of mine took his family there for the day...three sons aged between 15 and 7.............they didn't enjoy it!
    I think your right,  kids would find it pretty dull , unless their quite young and like to run around a lot, its more of a place for shall we say maturer (old) people ... waits for pelters, i liked both really as i quite like plants.
    I went there and I got lost. Couldn't find the place. Ironic.
  • edited October 2011
    WARNING! Don't go to the Eden Project in school holidays and weekends, unless you've got kids of course!
    Even outside this time, you still run the risk of school parties, but they are far better disciplined than grotty snotty kids wandering aimlessly with their equally vacant parents.

Not too far from my backyard, down here in deepest darkest Carrrrnwall, me lover!

It's an interesting concept, basically a zoo for plants (did I say that?), but bio-domes each themed with features relevant to hot climates, Mediteranean and cool - a bit like a film set for "Round the World in 80 days", by Jules Verne.

I enjoyed my visit and no doubt so do most people who go.
    Goonerhater would enjoy the self-sufficency garden, greenhouses and compost heaps. ;o)

Another thing ........ they've got their own festival sized stage - and many weekends (maybe weekdays too?) they have well known bands gigging there. So check out the schedules if you want to see a band. Sometimes theatre too.

Amazing what you can do with an old China Clay quarry.

And then there's the Lost Gardens of Hooligan. They've been found again, of course ...... the grounds and park of a stately home that got sold off and converted to flats I think, with the exotic gardens of the gentry that originally owned the house after it got abandoned.
    What you see today is the gardens retrieved and brought back to life.

Nice enough day out, though.
  • Me and Tim Wiseman went once. ...... ONCE.

Apart from sitting next to the ice rink and having a beer, it was most certainly the most boring day of my entire life. You might as well  just walk round the local garden centre and look at the tags on the plants. Same thing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Floyd, I would make a special trip to Eden Project.  It depends on what you're into I guess.  If you're into the environment then its a must see.  Educational and a lot of fun also.  It's awesome, the scale is very impressive.  Not seen anything like it anywhere else.  It's continually evolving so no two visits are the same.   Amazing the use they get out of it.  Ice rink in winter, outdoor concerts in summer.  Very impressed with way they handle crowds at car parks/entrance.  Food is excellent and you can eat according to budget.  Tons for kids to do.  Most of it is actually outside, not just domes, so can enjoy the sun also.

Lost gardens are meant to be amazing also.  Throw in the Tate in St Ives and Cornwall is a pretty cool place in the winter months, I know the surfers still brave the water in winter so you should have a good time.

Enjoy the surf, I'm jealous!!

• Floyd

While you're down there , if you fancy a decent pint try this one. Near Falmouth.

Takes a bit of finding but worthwhile, decent grub too.

www.trengilly.co.uk

Nice one, Dave.
    Thanks - would certainly appeal to many of the crew - second best pub last year!
    I can almost hear the argument over who will drive the van now!
    Thanks again
  • Floyd, I would make a special trip to Eden Project.  It depends on what you're into I guess.  If you're into the environment then its a must see.  Educational and a lot of fun also.  It's awesome, the scale is very impressive.  Not seen anything like it anywhere else.  It's continually evolving so no two visits are the same.   Amazing the use they get out of it.  Ice rink in winter, outdoor concerts in summer.  Very impressed with way they handle crowds at car parks/entrance.  Food is excellent and you can eat according to budget.  Tons for kids to do.  Most of it is actually outside, not just domes, so can enjoy the sun also.

Lost gardens are meant to be amazing also.  Throw in the Tate in St Ives and Cornwall is a pretty cool place in the winter months, I know the surfers still brave the water in winter so you should have a good time.

Enjoy the surf, I'm jealous!!

Well into the environment, but having lived and worked in a couple of jungles I have a feeling I might be underwhelmed.
    As you say, though, the scale of the project is something to at least see once in a lifetime.

• edited October 2011
    All credit to all the folk who dreamed up and worked on the project, plus it's overall theme and intention......but as a day out for the family I have the idea it's really got to be something you're into in the first place, in which case you'll think it's fantastic.....if not, I have my doubts.
  • edited October 2011

You're welcome

If you like your gardens try Trebah Gardens. trebahgarden.co.uk

They are quite picturesque and when you get down to the bottom of the gardens there's a small beach and the big bonus, you can walk through to Helford Passage (15mins walk ish) where you'll come across the Ferry boat Inn at Helford Passage.  www.ferryboatinnhelford.com/........... Superb waterfront setting.

A decent pint or 6,  and decent food, followed by a walk back through the gardens.

We go to Cornwall 4 or 5 times a year and always have to visit one or both of these pubs.

• Cheers Dave
    TR11 5LB now in the sat nag. Looks a splendid place for an evenings boozing relaxation!
  • Floyd

I got a bit confused on the gardens, the one we went to was Glendurgan Gardens. www.nationaltrust.org.uk/glendurgan/.

It's almost next door to Trebah, (we walked past Trebah Gardens to get to the pub)

If you have kids, Glendurgan  has a great maze, it's low level but good fun and a huge swing.

• if you're down near penzance/st ives the minack theatre is well worth a visit with great views and there's a good beach next to it called porthcurno
  • edited October 2011
    Went on a school trip about 8 years ago as part of a week in cornwall, was ok.

Maybe youl find it interesting if your into gardening. I just liked how warm/humid it was.
  • There's one fella who likes a bit of cultivation, but none of us are gardeners, but can appreciate a good un.
    Thanks again for the thoughts and advice. will try the theatre ads if the weather turns nasty, as it is supposed to.

Hope to head for the Tate.
    Thanks for the warnig too Oggy