Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Madbid.com

Just been browsing through madbid.com and some of the auctions that have been closed look like a right bargain i.e iPhone 4 for £12.80. Just wondering if any of you know how it works and your experiences with it ?

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Its a con. The winner is the person with the lowest unique bid and each bid is £1.50 !! So for example you could bid for a lap top at £7.45 and the only way you can win it is if you are the lowest unique bid . Meanwhile thousands of people have bid a different amount more than once below and above your £7.50 bid ( and remember these unique bids are in dinominations of a penny) so yours and everyone else's £1.50 is making this company hundreds of thousands just to give away a poxy lap top . Don't mistake it for an auction site.
    It should be outlawed . It's a complete rip off .
  • Options
    edited October 2011
  • Options
    Cheers Beds i was going to have a go at it as well,thought it was to good to be true.
  • Options
    Its a con. The winner is the person with the lowest unique bid and each bid is £1.50 !! So for example you could bid for a lap top at £7.45 and the only way you can win it is if you are the lowest unique bid . Meanwhile thousands of people have bid a different amount more than once below and above your £7.50 bid ( and remember these unique bids are in dinominations of a penny) so yours and everyone else's £1.50 is making this company hundreds of thousands just to give away a poxy lap top . Don't mistake it for an auction site.
    It should be outlawed . It's a complete rip off .
    Cheers for this mate , as nolly said an iphone for 12 quid does sound to good to be true ! They just make it sound so easy for you to win ! And just found out you have to pay a certain amount just for the tokens themselves, Then other stuff on top of that !!
  • Options
    I was under the impression that, like an auction, the item is bid up until the time expires with each new bid resetting the timer. Either way it's still a con. Wish I had thought of it first though.
  • Options
    pretty sure TalkSport used to do something a year or so back

The money they must have made from the bids must have paid for the prize hundreds of times over

Strange that Mr Cowell hasn't thought of adopting this ....
  • Options
    Your right they did. They must have made a small fortune out of it.
  • Options
    Hence why shows like The Gadget Show can give away thousands of pounds worth of prizes. The multiple choice question is easy so thousands of people enter, but each call is £1. They make their money back easily and the rest!
  • Options
    Basic (but cynical) rule in life:  If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.
  • Options
    Saying it's a con is exactly the same as saying that gambling is a con.

As for the gadget show, has anyone actually won that price yet?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2011

Calling it MadBID implies it's an auction , which it obviously isnt , which is deception , therefore in my eyes ,  a con. 
  • Options

Yes someone's Dad in my school won it and their kid came in loaded with all the latest gadgets. Lucky Sh*t
  • Options
    Anything that advertising £1,000 cash to be won for £8 is a blatant blatant con
  • Options
    No con it could be 1 bid you place to win just gotta place it at the right time.
  • Options
    crikey your green dazzler
  • Options
    Ha ha ha nope I just won an iPod touch a couple of years ago off of 1 bid. It was a drunken buy at about 3am. Wasted £10 worth of bids on other crap before. It is not about the lowest unique bid either.

Your bid just has to hold out the full bid time mine was off of a 15 second bid time. No other bids came in at the time I got it for that 1 bid plus £9 something!
  • Options
    fair enough
  • Options

Only a con if you dont understand it.

If you are will to pay £1.50 to try and get something cheap then so be it. Odds are you wont get anything other than £1.50 deducted from your bank but doesnt make it a con.

• Options
    I always find that if you want cheap electrical gadgets either wait for a sale or your next local riot to take place.
  • Options
    Ha ha ha nope I just won an iPod touch a couple of years ago off of 1 bid. It was a drunken buy at about 3am. Wasted £10 worth of bids on other crap before. It is not about the lowest unique bid either.

Your bid just has to hold out the full bid time mine was off of a 15 second bid time. No other bids came in at the time I got it for that 1 bid plus £9 something!

Madbid.com and webites alike Are about unique lowest bids and to think otherwise is very naive. You were extremely lucky to win and because of the way this business is advertised makes it a con - I'm my opinion.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ha ha ha nope I just won an iPod touch a couple of years ago off of 1 bid. It was a drunken buy at about 3am. Wasted £10 worth of

bids on other crap before. It is not about the lowest unique bid either.

Madbid.com and webites alike Are about unique lowest bids and to think otherwise is very naive. You were extremely lucky to win and because of the way this business is advertised makes it a con - I'm my opinion.
    They should make how to bid and win a lot more easier to understand . But i suppose if they did they'd have nobody bidding in my opinion .