Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Fishing - Nice Lakes, Etc..

Never really seen anything posted on here about fishing before so was wondering if there were any fisherman on the forum?

Looking for some recomendation of what lake to take my misses to! She's never fished and im trying to get her into it somehow! Was thinking of taking her to "Monk Lakes" just past Maidstone but haven't been there in a few years, so has anyone else got any suggestions or has anyone been Monk Lakes recently thanks.

Comments

• edited October 2011

Never really seen anything posted on here about fishing before so was wondering if there were any fisherman on the forum?

Looking for some recomendation of what lake to take my misses to! She's never fished and im trying to get her into it somehow! Was thinking of taking her to "Monk Lakes" just past Maidstone but haven't been there in a few years, so has anyone else got any suggestions or has anyone been Monk Lakes recently thanks.

Just got back from fishing this morning. Blanked. Haha

I'm a member at Sutton at Hone RMC. Hard lakes but the surroundings are worth it.  

Monks caters for everyone but there is a very plastic feel about it. No nature, surroundings etc The difference between the old stadiums and the new i guess.

Edit: As you're going to be taking your lady for the first time i would suggest Frant lakes near Tonbridge i believe http://www.frantlakes.com/. I preferred them to Monks

• Darenth lakes , big choise of ones to fish , I ain't no fisherman but took a group there and they had never fished before they were pulling fish for fun , nice cafe there as well
  • there always that pond in my back garden if you can't find a lake.

Don't think there's many fish in there tough ; )
  • Lakedown Trout Fishery - near Burwash in Sussex. Four lakes - absolutely beautiful, peaceful surroundings. www.lakedowntroutfishery.co.uk/
  • When I fished Darenth the place was full of rats
  • When I fished Darenth the place was full of rats
    And some of them were four legged!
  • Lakedown Trout Fishery - near Burwash in Sussex. Four lakes - absolutely beautiful, peaceful surroundings. www.lakedowntroutfishery.co.uk/
    That's on Roger Daltreys estate.
  • Never really seen anything posted on here about fishing before so was wondering if there were any fisherman on the forum?

I'm a member at Sutton at Hone RMC. Hard lakes but the surroundings are worth it.  

Monks caters for everyone but there is a very plastic feel about it. No nature, surroundings etc The difference between the old stadiums and the new i guess.

Edit: As you're going to be taking your lady for the first time i would suggest Frant lakes near Tonbridge i believe http://www.frantlakes.com/. I preferred them to Monks

Cheers mate, had a look at Frant, is it members only? 

and can I ask why would you choose them and not Monks?

Just want a easy day's fishing no biggys! Just a few catches for the misses!
  • Took my Mrs fishing once just after we got back from Thailand. It was at Dartford lakes. Drove up she jumped back in car said a snake was outside the door !! It was an eel. I had to explain an ell is a fish etc. Of course the first thing i caught was a big  f**k off eel. The Mrs is even more sure they are some sort of snake-- which in Thailand tend to be things you leg it from rather sharpish. I explain about England and i have never seen a snake etc etc we dont get em  blah blah blah-----------stone me 15 mins later a 3 foot grass snake glides past in the water an arms length from where we siting !! she looks at me and i say "yep thats a snake"------she went and sat in the car never been since !
  • Never really seen anything posted on here about fishing before so was wondering if there were any fisherman on the forum?

Cheers mate, had a look at Frant, is it members only? 

and can I ask why would you choose them and not Monks?

Just want a easy day's fishing no biggys! Just a few catches for the misses!

Frant is a day ticket. About the same cost as Monks i believe.

I have a disdain for fisheries such as Monks. The lakes are overstocked which normally result in fish kills each summer and there is no vegetation in the water so the carp are litterally stuffed full of rotting high protein baits. If you're a fisherman you can tell the difference between the carp from these places and more natural lakes. Some would say its hypocritical but fish welfare always comes first and the suffering that the carp are under in these nu-age fisheries is a disgrace and all because some people don't want to work for their fish and maybe learn a thing or two. There is some very interesting literature on the net about these carp fisheries. If i've got my numbers correct a pure wild stock is about 300lb/acre whereas the carp fisheries are now stocking up to 7000lb/acre but then you start getting into water imbalances and so on.

I suggested Frant because, although not quite the polar opposite of Monks, you've got a lot of tree life around with good numbers of smaller fish. If you would like your lady to get into fishing then you're probably gonna have more success using a float and going for roach. Saying that if you want to get straight out onto carp you'll probably pull some out of there still.

If you have any other questions let me know. Be nice to have a fishing thread on here. Good luck with getting the lady into fishing. My gf has suggested going fishing/charlton and ive told her to back off. I don't want the fish or the club knowing im seeing someone else ;)

I recommended Frant because my un

• Sponsored links:

• Cheers I knew Monks stocked there lakes pretty high but frant sounds the best option for a nice day out and a few catches :)

Will let you know what lake we choose and how it goes.

The snake comment gave me a good chuckle.
  • I've never had a massive amount of luck at Frant but that is probably down to my lack of skill as much as anything!

Have fished Monk's a couple of times and had my UK pb last time out, a 24lb mirror. Am going there with a mate on Monday.

I'm a member of Edenbridge, which is a cracking little club and worth looking into for next season if you like mixed fishing.

For trout fishing you can't go wrong with lakedown which is mentioned above, beautiful surroundings and even got to meet Mr Daltrey himself on my visit.

• I've never had a massive amount of luck at Frant but that is probably down to my lack of skill as much as anything!

Have fished Monk's a couple of times and had my UK pb last time out, a 24lb mirror. Am going there with a mate on Monday.

I'm a member of Edenbridge, which is a cracking little club and worth looking into for next season if you like mixed fishing.

For trout fishing you can't go wrong with lakedown which is mentioned above, beautiful surroundings and even got to meet Mr Daltrey himself on my visit.

I first went there about 25+ years ago and back then Roger would often come down to the lakes...he actually took the time to teach me the rudimentries of fly fishing over the course of a couple of weeks.......... along with a pal of mine.
  • Great stuff!

I've only been once SoundAs, on my first ever fly fishing trip and caught two lovely rainbows. It's something i really want to give a proper go next year (completely different to my normal carping and float fishing thing). The fella that runs it down there couldn't have been more helpful and even gave me 15 mins free tuition just to help me out. As a Who fan, seeing Daltrey was a bonus!

• Lucks Lane near the Hop Farm is a great place to start fishing, it is stocked to the gunnels, my eldest lad, Greenie Junior loves fishing, when he was younger they used to catch carp all day long there.

http://www.fishe.net/kent/fisheries/luckslane.php
  • I'm a member at Sutton at Hone RMC. Hard lakes but the surroundings are worth it.  

How is Sutton at Hone these days, UrbanChupacabra?

I used to go there in the 60's with my Dad. Often a bit of a wade to get through to the causeway between the two gravel pits.

Happy days.
  • edited October 2011
    After me driving lessons, my old instructor used to go out to Shivering Sand Towers in the estuary to fish. Might be fun, cold, couldnt think of anything worse.

• I'm a member at Sutton at Hone RMC. Hard lakes but the surroundings are worth it.  

How is Sutton at Hone these days, UrbanChupacabra? I used to go there in the 60's with my Dad. Often a bit of a wade to get through to the causeway between the two gravel pits. Happy days.
    Slow. Theyve cut back a lot of the weeds so you can get round the whole lake but that hasnt really improved the fishing. 1,2 and 3 are all seperate tickets now and 2 and 3 operate a waiting list. Hoping to nab a few tench once the spring comes around
  • Think will be going Monks now as haven't got a SatNav and don't fancy doing map work to Frant Lakes, I will let you know how it goes. Fingers crossed!
  • hartleys farm diff will catch and cheaper and good baff.
  • Sponsored links:

• Would recomend Chidingstone Castle (except Saturdays as is closed for fishing) £10.00 day ticket beautiful scenary.Commons up to around 10lbs perch roach bream, been told one time record perch was caught.

Nice pub called wheatsheaf on the railway bridge for a pint on the way back home

• Revel, I didn't know you could fish the castle. My club waters are a 2 minute drive from there and we also have the river Eden at Hever. Lovely around there, know the Wheatsheaf very well and generally pop in there for a pint when I've finished my days fishing. Sure the locals love me stinking the place out ;0)
  • I had a terrible season, fished the local river & lakes numerous times - caught a grand total of 3 fish!! On the positive side didn't get eaten by any bears, every cloud etc....
  • Revel, I didn't know you could fish the castle. My club waters are a 2 minute drive from there and we also have the river Eden at Hever. Lovely around there, know the Wheatsheaf very well and generally pop in there for a pint when I've finished my days fishing. Sure the locals love me stinking the place out ;0)
    Red, if you go in the main entrance up to the barrier then press the number for fishing (its one digit and tells you what one) baliff will answer just say fishing. park at the top car park and walk down to the lake...lovely..
    Red, if you go in the main entrance up to the barrier then press the number for fishing (its one digit and tells you what one) baliff will answer just say fishing. park at the top car park and walk down to the lake...lovely..
    Nice one fella, had a look on the website and looks nice. Will defo give it a go.