Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dennis Rommedhal

edited February 2007 in General Charlton
He is so weak, that even his limp wristed corners are put our own DEFENCE under pressure.

Comments

• Options
    He was S**t again yesterday the one clear chance we had he didn't even make the keeper make a save
  • Options
    Dennis is the Guardian's motm, not too sure which game they were watching.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    or which game you guys were watching - from the hour or so on Football First he was involved in just about everything creative we did. Think Pards thought so too, as he didn't sub him.
  • Options
    Yep, I didnt think he was that bad at all. Watched it down the pub & he looked decent. Some people just really have it in for certain players. Bit like most with Kish :)
  • Options
    I watched it yesterday on Arab telly down the pub - and Dennis was involved in almost everything we created.

He wasn't perfect and probably not MoM.

But yesterday, he grafted, defended in his own box and always made himself available.
    And United didn't think he was a mug - they always defended against him with 2 or 3 men.

If you think he was shit - then there's a lot of people in football like Alex Ferguson & co who think differently to you.
  • Options
    he's had enough chances i'm afraid, promises much, delivers little
  • Options
    Maybe, Jim, but almost everything we created yesterday came through Rommers, nobody else.
    You were there yesterday (another thread) and many of us watched it down the pub.

He played well.
  • Options
    I agree he has the odd spark but just think he goes missing for large periods and throughout the last couple of seasons how many goals/assists has he contributed? Not many.
  • Options
    But how many has Holland contributed? Ambrose? Thomas?
    I'm not saying he's a regular match winner, but he's about the best of a fairly average bunch, and certainly doesn't deserve the stick he gets.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: jimbrannin[/cite]I agree he has the odd spark but just think he goes missing for large periods and throughout the last couple of seasons how many goals/assists has he contributed? Not many.

Oh, I dunno, Jim - he's chipped in with a fair few if you think about it. There's no doubt that he puts the fear of God up defenders too. It's a shame that his final ball can be so inconsistant.

But, despite what many on here think, he's probably played better this season than we've seen in previous years.
    It's just that we expect him to a be world-beater.......
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dennis was MOTM in the Observer as well; he can't have been too bad surely??
  • Options
    i didn't think he was overly bad. yet wasn't brill either. Does need to stop turning backwards he is so dangerous running with the ball he just doesn't do it nearly enough.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Dennis polarises opinion like no other in the present squad!
    I've argued in his favour before, and whilst I can see there are things you can criticise, I think some of it is a bit harsh to be honest.
    What do we get from playing him?
    You can't argue with his pace.
    It is whether we as a team, or he as a player, utilise that pace to its greatest effect.
    IMHO it seems to me that we either use him to counter attack quickly, with Dennis running at a defence from inside our half/ halfway line looking to cut in and lay something off for Bent who also has pace, or take it on himself.
    Or, we play him further up the pitch looking to play him in when he can use his pace to get behind a defence, either wide or centrally.
    He's got a fair shot on him.He misses chances. Frustrating yes, but everyone does.
    Yes, he's hardly a tenacious tackler but has been doing more tracking back, and his work rate does seem to have gone up.
    But whilst that is all well and good, that is not what his greatest contribution to the team should be.
    He is a worry for an oppo defence, and we haven't got too many of those players.
    In the end he is the sort of player people like or loathe. I always think something might happen when he gets the ball. That doesn't mean it always will.
    But Dennis turning and running at a defence always gives me hope....
  • Options
    Nice one, 3blokes.

That's a fair appraisal of the enigma that is Dennis Rommerdahl.
    People are quick enough to criticise his weaker points
    but then seem to completely overlook what he brings to the team.

Each opposing manager never seems to underestimate Rommers like some of our own fans do.
    They always put 2 or sometimes 3 defenders on him to close him down.
    Sir Alex Ferguson did just that yesterday.

Maybe, just maybe, Fergie doesn't think Rommers is sh*t.....?
  • Options
    The blokes just too infuriating, he hasnt delivered.Say what you want about Thomas (bad attitude and overweight seem to the be the two most popular), but imo he plays in the more directly threatening way that we need.Rommedahl suffers from headless chicken syndrome in a serious way.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]or which game you guys were watching - from the hour or so on Football First he was involved in just about everything creative we did. Think Pards thought so too, as he didn't sub him.

Edited highlights,I was there and he was s**t.No b**locks.
  • Options
    Now there's a surprise, steve, given your earlier comments about him...
  • Options
    I wasn't there but I did watch the whole match live on telly.......and nearly everything we created came through Rommers.

If you think he was s**t - then either everybody else was too or on yesterday's performance you're choosing not to acknowledge the valuable contribution he brought to the team.

Maybe time you picked on another player.......?
  • Options
    When Matty Holland was subbed yesterday, did I see him hand the captain's armband to Rommedahl....?

Pards must think highly of Rommers.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]That's a fair appraisal of the enigma that is Dennis Rommerdahl.

I'm sorry Oggy, you've got the spelling wrong. Its enema and that's what he needs up his a*se along with a large boot....:-)

Seriously, I would love it if he paid back the faith that some have in him and really make a difference to the remainder of the season. He certainly owes us plenty. You can't base a career around one goal in the last minute. If he's starting to play consistantly at last then great.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2007
    LOL, Bing ! Ha Ha!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]When Matty Holland was subbed yesterday, did I see him hand the captain's armband to Rommedahl....?

Pards must think highly of Rommers.

If he did, and I must confess I didn't see it, this could be part of Pards psychological approach. Another reason to be cheerful about Pards.
  • Options
    The bloody reason he gave him the armband was because he was standing next to him,christ did you expect him to run 40 yards to the player who is vice captain.God man you are naive.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]The bloody reason he gave him the armband was because he was standing next to him,christ did you expect him to run 40 yards to the player who is vice captain.God man you are naive.

Who's Vice Captain then?
  • Options
    F**k knows Mr SARCASTIC,but when do you ever see another team hand it over to anyone apart from the nearest player next to them.Sorry I hold may hands Denis is an absolutely outstanding player who is man of the match in every game.His goalscoring record for a attacking midfield player of 4 goals in 3 years in again exemplary and I personally blame Curbs,Dowie,Reed and Pardew together with the entire squad over the past 3 years for not playing to his strength's.It was naive of me to think we shouldn't build the club around him and I together with nearest 60 people to me on a Saturday who all seem to share the same opoinion about should be quiet and not express our views as they are obviously wrong.I vow now to give him my 100% support regardless of his performance and if I don't please beat my continuosly with a metal pole.Maybe some other people would take this vow with players give 200% for Charlton every game such as Holland and Kish.
  • Options
    Wasn't being sarcastic, was simply asking a question. There weren't any other "experienced Charlton" players on the pitch. It was a choice of Dennis or Big Bent.
  • Options
    Well Dennis was obvious choice then,as I said I love the geezer.
  • Options
    Good two see both sides represented here,

thinking of writing an article on the merits / enigma of Romm. If i write a case against, is there anyone willing to write a case for ?
  • Options
    that's write choose the bloody easy one.
  • Options
    You having a good day Steve ?