Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bexley Incident

edited October 2011 in Not Sports Related
Just heard the tail end of a radio report about a serious assault in Bexley/Bourne road area last night. Anyone else heard anything. 

Comments

• Options

Someone killed after banging the head after a fight.

Thats what I heard

• Options
    Teletext says a man died from his injuries following a fight in Bourne Road at approx. 1.0 am

The man in his thirties died in hospital at about 2.30 am.
  • Options
    Tragic.  Been a very sad week in the Bexley area. 
  • Options
    Yeah, I was there whilst they were doing CPR. Awful scenes, his mates were in hysterics. Didn't see the fight or anything.

RIP.
  • Options
    The guy was celebrating his birthday as well.

@skymarkwhite Bexley murder victim, killed while out celebrating his birthday last night, has been named as 32 year old Paul Gunner.

So sad.
  • Options
    Just been through there and its a crime scene. A sad week for Bexley borough
  • Options
    I think there were two crime scenes as Bar Lorca as well as the kebab shop seemed to be cordoned off.
    Been a lot of rumours, but a  my next door neighbour said his mate tried to help the man that died? but  hit his head from a punch and fell backwards he claimed.
    The  High street in Bexley  was closed all morning where I live.

• Options
    I am coming from a complete ignorant point of view here as I have never been out and about in Bexley, why is there so much trouble? Being from Bromley I am used to the Ghetto that London and the surrounding areas are quickly becoming but it always confuses me  when I hear about another night of trouble in Bexley (mainly through CL), again it is probably my ignorance but can anyone enlighten me as to the underlying problems?
  • Options
    IMO Bexleyheath is normally the "trouble spot"...Bexley Village is by & large ok as tends to be a more maturer set of drinkers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    IMO Bexleyheath is normally the "trouble spot"...Bexley Village is by & large ok as tends to be a more maturer set of drinkers.
    Except for St Georges Day...
  • Options
    Sadly the village has had a number of 'incidents' over the past few years. 
    I suppose the amount of pubs and  eating places make it a centre from the wider community of the borough.
    Despite the  majority of pubs being over 25, the sad fact remains that  'blokes' seem to think a good night out is having a punch up, normally with a couple of mates behind them on some bloke who is a bit pissed and a soft target.
    No CCTV as well, adds to to a free for all attitude?. 
    a couple of community coppers is not going to cut it?
    Why people cannot just enjoy themselves I have no idea!
  • Options
    Sad to read this, 32 is no age to die on a night out , is anywhere safe these days?
  • Options
    R.I.P. Paul Gunner
  • Options

As a former Bexley Village resident, I find this very sad.  Bexley is a good night out as it's a small area with high concentration of pubs/bars/restaurants.  However, always attracted folk from a wide area and always used to have an under current of violence at chucking out time at w/e. The millers used to be pretty rough (maybe still is?), the George had it's moments also.  Always used to be a paddy wagon parked up on station approach on a Friday night waiting for it to kick off.  So this is nothing new.  Unfortunately this time it ended up with somebody dead.

RIP Paul.

• Options
    Always been alright apart from the annual Charlton v Millwall punch up.
  • Options

Ahhhh, the Millers, the haunt for the single older lady. Provided me with much joy ha ha

Real shame about this, I love Bexley and am proud of coming from there. Very sad

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Sadly, I was asked by  my former employees today to take a photo of the  place where BBC Paul Gunner lost his life so tragically on Sunday. 

• Options
    what is also saddening is that the person/people who perpetrated this senseless crime wont get the punishement they truly deserve

RIP poor man and condolences to his family on their loss
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-16934501

RIP

So sad that some people just like violence.
  • Options
    What a shame, 32 is no age. Ive tried talking my eldest son out of returning home until Im blue in the face, sadly he returns on Friday.....life in this part of the world is so safe in comparison.
  • Options
    Unfortunately appears I know the man charged. Used to work with both him and his sister a long time ago.
  • Options
    50 years ago when I was a young police officer areas which offered trouble would have been very well policed. We would have shown a strong prescence on the street, and dealt with any potential problem before it could develop. We now have something called progress, which often seems to move backwards.
    With so many young people unable to get a job, could we not have some creative thinking ?
  • Options
    What a shame, 32 is no age. Ive tried talking my eldest son out of returning home until Im blue in the face, sadly he returns on Friday.....life in this part of the world is so safe in comparison.
    Its funny (?) how the fear of crime affects us. Mr Lawrence said he returned to Jamaica after his son was murdered because he felt much much safer there. However if he (and you) could check out the murder stats you will see Jamaica at the top and UK and Oz ( I assume thats where you are ?) together at the bottom.
  • Options
    Granpa - did you work as a police civvie in PL after the job?