Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

cafc player commentary

edited October 2011 in General Charlton
i dont know about anyone else but when i was listening to the coverage on cafc player it seemed as though they were going off topic a lot of the time, for example just before half time they were talking about the size of someones laptop screen surely there was something going on in the game.

Comments

• Options
    Yeah...I ended up listening to Stevenage commentary for a bit but went back to charlton because they were annoying as well...
  • Options
    yeh i did the same at half time..
  • Options
    I thought I was listening to Angelos Epithemiou at one point
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited October 2011
    Yeah...I ended up listening to Stevenage commentary for a bit but went back to charlton because they were annoying as well...
    I did exactly the same. What was going on the pitch may be frustrating but we tune in not to listen to the commentators chit chat. Commentators need to remember that the listeners are not there. They need to say where the ball is on the pitch, who has the ball, who they are passing too and where they are on the pitch. Half the time, particularly in the first half it was difficult to know what was going on.
  • Options

Listened to the Stevenage commentary with paddyp17, and although the commentary was pretty biased (as in more than the usual), and there was extra comment, the main commentator usually cut in and actually described events.

From the comments here it seems a bit deja vu. Now I know there are many who are loyal to any Charlton fan who participates, and also many who want lots of colour, and are less fussed if some action is overlooked, but personally I want somebody to be my eyes when I can't be there, somebody who tells us what is going on.

I propose that CAFC player has two parallel services, one for the Smashy and Nicey hospital radio 'commentary', where description comes a long way second to bigging up the characters/personalities of the commentators. And another commentary which boringly tells us what is happening on the field of play and where we miss out on the extras like a commentators attire/journey/pie/laptop/and all those oh so fascinating asides.

C'mon CAFC player, take my advice and split the commentary in two.

• Options
    I'm far too inexperienced (this was my third radio summarising) to take the broadcast by the scruff of the neck and enforce more technical football description/analysis, but I did what I could today to describe the action in my position as the colour man. Jamie Reid's a good commentator but yeah he took me by surprise with some of the bits about Charlton Live (which I don't even appear on anymore) and the laptop etc.

I like the sidebar bits but feel they should a) only take place when the ball's out of play and b) be introduced as such so it's clear why filler is being used. As said before, I have nowhere near the technical skills or experience of Jamie and the gang so it's not something I can dictate too much.

He is on Twitter though, so I'm sure he'd appreciate any constructive feedback. He does his job in a way which he feels is satisfying the audience so if the majority disagree, he will adapt his game accordingly. But yeah keyword is constructive - throwing insults just shows who the real unprofessional in the situation is.
  • Options
    I didn't listen to any of the CACFTV commentary today, and so my post is a reference to a recurring theme. Liam, for what it is worth I think you do a good job on the player TV stuff. Personally I am not on twitter, so I will leave others to twitt jamie reid.