Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

senna - the movie

Anyone seen it? Worth getting on dvd?

Comments

• Options
    I watched it on Monday. It's a fantastic film. Made up of family archived  footage and TV footage along with audio interviews from he's family i highly recommend it .  
    i have to admit it moved me to tears , especially the climax of the film , even though i knew what the outcome of the story was.
    One scene in particular , where Martin Donnelly has a crash is extremely shocking.
    Brilliant film.
  • Options
    This is coming from someone that hardly ever watches motorsports I found it an inspiring and a fantastic film.
  • Options
    Cheers mate, thought it would be good...but sometimes things like this can often dissapoint...

Greatest driver ever? As good as schumacher?
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Cheers mate, thought it would be good...but sometimes things like this can often dissapoint...

Greatest driver ever? As good as schumacher?
    Absolutely. Just because the cars he drove were REAL cars not computers. I'm sure others would disagree. There is one scene in the film where from an on-board camera you see him racing in Monaco and it shows the strength that was needed to race those older cars. No paddle gears in those days.  
  • Options
    It's very good but it misses so much, little or no references to his battles with Brundle in F3 and his career before F1, virtually no input from Berger (one of his closest friends), Mansell and others and it's sacrilegious that it doesn't even mention possibly his greatest victory ever at Donington in '93.

This article summed up the movie beautifully:

http://community.evo.co.uk/users/Monkey-Harris/blogs/index.cfm/2011/10/12/CHRIS-HARRIS-SENNA-The-Movie-Why-it-falls-short
  • Options
    It's very good but it misses so much, little or no references to his battles with Brundle in F3 and his career before F1, virtually no input from Berger (one of his closest friends), Mansell and others and it's sacrilegious that it doesn't even mention possibly his greatest victory ever at Donington in '93.

This article summed up the movie beautifully:

http://community.evo.co.uk/users/Monkey-Harris/blogs/index.cfm/2011/10/12/CHRIS-HARRIS-SENNA-The-Movie-Why-it-falls-short
    You cant really expect all of those aspect to be included ( although there is a 2 and half hour version available and maybe they are mentioned). This mainly focuses on he's rivalry with Alain Prost .
  • Options
    You cant really expect all of those aspect to be included ( although there is a 2 and half hour version available and maybe they are mentioned). This mainly focuses on he's rivalry with Alain Prost .
    Well IMO it painted Prost as the sole perpetrator and didn't really give him any credit (note his opinions don't feature at all in the film, except in the extras) , also the comment about Mansell was a joke.  Both Senna and Mansell had epic battles throughout the 80's, yet there is no reference to it at all.  Granted I can live without his pre-F1 years, even if there is a heck of a story to be told there, but a brief mention of Donington?  I thought that was bizarre.  He trounced the field that day, Prost included.

I really didn't understand why Berger wasn't mentioned either, they were close friends they should have highlighted the humour that existed between them, some of the practical jokes they played on each other were unreal.

Overall I enjoyed the film, by far the best part is it's focus on Imola, but it did miss out a lot. 
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    "Senna" aside , if you want to see a film that is just as good about F1 you must see this BBC film . Grand Prix - The Killer years

The whole film is here.  Quite shocking and deeply moving.

• Options
    Senna is one of my favourite documentries ever. At the beginning i said to my mate "some one should make a biopic of this guy" and at the end it was obvious there is no need. No dramatisation would ever come close to this immense film. 5 stars all the way.
  • Options

I thought it was very good. EGA is right in that it does gloss over certain aspects, but theres only so much you can fit into 90 mins and ultimately you can't make a film too nerdy if you want to make any money with it.

I was surprised Donnington 93 didn't get a mention though as it's widely considered one of the best drives of all time.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    "Senna" aside , if you want to see a film that is just as good about F1 you must see this BBC film . Grand Prix - The Killer years

This is superb. The final scene had me in tears.
  • Options

This is superb. The final scene had me in tears.
    I watched it for the first time 3 months ago and i still cant get that final scene out of my head. Words cannot describe it.
  • Options
    Cheers for posting that Beds. Great documentary. It seemed that the drivers life was worth less than a car back then. David Purley trying to get that guy out of the burning car at the end..........wow. Had me choked up.

Would actually say I found that doc better than the Senna movie.
  • Options
    I would agree. The footage of Dave Purley is one of the most moving things I've ever seen on TV. It's weird to watch because you can't see his face inside his helmet and there's no speech but his feelings of anguish and helplessness come across so strongly.

Some other moving stories in there too and some incredible footage - things like photographers literally stood on the curbs of corners in just hush puppies and slacks whilst grand prix cars whip past nearly running over the their toes!

Astounding the things that went on and a good advert for why you can't just rely on 'common sense' to keep people safe.

• Options
    Another good documentary series, specifically related to Senna and McLaren is 'The Team: A Season With McLaren' which tells the story of the 1993 season.  It's a bit dated but some of the onboard footage is better than what you get in the movie.  It's seven programmes (made into 14 parts on Youtube)

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=the+team+a+season+with+mclaren&aq=0&oq=the+team+a+sea
  • Options
    Cheers for posting that Beds. Great documentary. It seemed that the drivers life was worth less than a car back then. David Purley trying to get that guy out of the burning car at the end..........wow. Had me choked up.

No Problem Tango. That movie certainly had more impact on me than Senna.  although both are 5 out of 5 movies in their own right . 
  • Options
    Watched it this week - fantastic doc. Really stunning footage. As an F1 fan I was also a bit disappointed with a lack of detail on the racing side I must admit, but that wasn't the point of it. I did think it was a little cheeky with its depictions of several involved - Ballestre has never looked more like a villain from a Scorsese movie, and the pantomime villainy of Prost, who somehow redeems himself by carrying the coffin and signing up to a foundation!!

The one area I was very surprised they didn't refer to, even in the closing notes, was the outcome of the inquest into his death. Not to mention the loophole used by the Italian authorities to keep the race weekend open after Ratzenberger's death.

Thanks for the link BA/EE.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Ballestre does come out of the film very badly but in my opinion quite rightly so. He was so on the side of his fellow countryman it wasnt real and he never liked Senna. As for the race going ahead after Ratzenberger died , i would like to think that would never happen in the modern day.
    If you look at some of the footage in " The Killer years" the races continued even though it was obvious that a driver or spectators had died on or around the track. Quite unbelievable
  • Options
    Just watched Senna (on sky). Had me close to tears at the end, what a powerful film. Even the wife watched it!
  • Options
    Watched on the telebox Saturday night, v good.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Seems I'm one of the very few underwhelmed by it, not saying it was bad just a bit meh.
  • Options
    Me and the wife watched it yesterday, I thought it was superbly edited especially the weekend when he died.

Fantastic documentary
  • Options
    Not seen it yet but looking forward to getting the DVD
  • Options
    Got the DVD from Christmas - just need to find a chance to watch it!
  • Options
    Just watched this now. I am admitedly an F1 fan so expected to like it, but didnt expect to be so emotionally blown away. Was close to tears at the end. The wife, who hates F1, was in total bits!
  • Options
    Watched it a while back. This is one of the great motorsport films and it's real! Unlike my other favourite, Le Mans (Steve McQueen).
  • Options
    No fan of F1, but this is one superb documentary