Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Crappy Phones - dirty northerners

Researchers at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine and Queen Mary, University of London took nearly 400 samples from mobile phones and hands in 12 British cities.

They found 16% of phones and 16% of hands harboured E. coli (Escherichia coli), bacteria which inhabit the human intestines.

The largest proportion of contaminated phones was in
Birmingham (41%) while Londoners were caught with the highest proportion
of E. coli present on hands (28%).

"We found the further north we went the more hands and phones
were likely to be contaminated. It could be the bugs survive better in
colder and wetter conditions or it might be that people wash their
hands less."

Comments

• Options
    That's why I keep getting dirty phone calls from northern lasses.............................
  • Options
    Wonder if they checked Ashley Coles phone?
  • Options
    Running a boozer, and therefore being responsible for emptying the handtowel bins, I can tell you there is little difference to who washes their hands after a pee from north to south, they are nearly all unhygenic sods...  
  • Options
    Running a boozer, and therefore being responsible for emptying the handtowel bins, I can tell you there is little difference to who washes their hands after a pee from north to south, they are nearly all unhygenic sods...  
    a pub with hand towels!

must be posh
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Well, all the barmaid's tattoos are spelt right...
  • Options
    A bit of bacteria never hurt anyone, in fact, I'm a strong believer that being slighlty unhygenic is good for you and develops your immune system...how science like this gets funded, I will never know...its pointless and trivial and the.money would be better spent on proper scientific research
  • Options
    Yes agree that a bit of dirt is "good" for you, but most people would rather not have other folks wee-wee in the peanuts, or on the back of the chair etc Rob... LOL   
  • Options
    I've worked in a few bars in my time and bowls of nibbles on the bar have always been banned, for hygiene reasons.
  • Options
    I've been lucky (or unlucky if you see it that way) to sit in Dr Ron Cutler's project meetings over the last couple of years at QMUL while he and his team have been doing this research and the results have been a real eye opener and I've started using alcohol gel on my hands now because of what I've seen.

[To explain, I'm responsible for the Financial Management of all Ron's grants!]
  • Options
    Robert, meet JohnBoy!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2011
    I've been lucky (or unlucky if you see it that way) to sit in Dr Ron Cutler's project meetings over the last couple of years at QMUL while he and his team have been doing this research and the results have been a real eye opener and I've started using alcohol gel on my hands now because of what I've seen.

[To explain, I'm responsible for the Financial Management of all Ron's grants!]
    Could have saved him a job - shitty handed geordie dirt bags