Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Battle of Hastings - Good or Bad?

For the history buffs or others who may just be interested

945th anniversary today

Vital and much needed step in bringing England out of the Dark Ages OR worse thing ever to happen to England as it falls under the Norman yolk?

Discuss

Comments

• Options
    It was one in the eye for King Harold thats for sure!
  • Options
    It was an essential prerequisite for starting this thread.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Good news if you have English Heritage membership in the Midlands.
    All those splendid castles on the Welsh borders.

Otherwise roman church, Cathederal and Abbey devotees would have to say YES!

Not sure the Irish would be great fans.
  • Options
    edited October 2011

If only the battle of Stamford Bridge had gone to the Vikings.  I would of loved to have seen a match up between them and Normans !  mind you Sky would probably of televised it and I wouldn't of been able to see it anyway...   feckers

• Options
    edited October 2011
    The Normans were descendants of Norse Vikings and i quite like the thought of having Viking blood in me somewhere down the line.
  • Options
    vikings were more pillage material got ass kicked it in most straightners,battle of clontarf an example.
  • Options

Good for William.

Bad for Harold,

• Options
    Good.  The English language would not be as rich or varied without the 60% of French words that we inherited as a result.  Also, if that battle hadn't happened it is extremely unlikely that any of us would be here.
  • Options
    vikings were more pillage material got ass kicked it in most straightners,battle of clontarf an example.
    Who won on points then ? ;-)
  • Options

knockout win to the irish mog

• Sponsored links:

• Options

knockout win to the irish mog

A strange old fight, Brian Boru was killed, and the Vikings remained in control of Dublin and Ireland stayed as it was before - being ruled over by competing chieftains.
  • Options
    yes boru got killed in his tent,but the vikings got owned
  • Options

Vital and much needed step in bringing England out of the Dark Ages OR worse thing ever to happen to England as it falls under the Norman yolk?

what has eggs got to do with it?
  • Options

fantastic example of British history

that makes it one of the best factual stories ever told, and the architecture that goes with it is immense , when bored i always take the family off to one of these castles and just have a mooch about,

i love Corfe castle the best even though theres nothing really left of it, one of those magical places in the great country known as England

• Options

what has eggs got to do with it?
    That's what I thought too.

I believe Henry meant yoke, right Sir Henry .....?
  • Options
    Good if you were in the tapestry business.
  • Options
    The Vikings won on points at Fulford but the Anglo-Saxons knocked them out at Stamford Bridge a few days later to go through to take on the Normans in the final at Hastings. Harold played home advantage but was caught on the break by a cheeky late salvo of arrows and a cavalry charge by William.

• Options

Although we were outnumbered again by the mods I thought we put up a damn good show and just about edged it. We learnt a lot from the debacle at Brighton and this time arrived en masse rather than in small groups as had happened before. Of course we had a rehearsal at Clacton before this one and we rolled them over with no problems. I think they were on their scooters and away when they heard our 'bikes coming down the main road. I think only a few rockers ended up in Hastings nick but I'm told the place was full of people in parkas. A good day out all round. Rained on the way home though. 

• Options
    Thought the Battle of Hastings was between mods and rockers. Seeing as Battle is soon to be my local town then I'm glad it happened. Great fireworks celebrations too.
  • Options
    There's a full 400 man reenactment of the battle this weekend in battle, English heritage website has details looks awesome was thinking of taking Adam jnr as we saw a smaller medieval event in Rochester the other month and he loved it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Although we were outnumbered again by the mods I thought we put up a damn good show and just about edged it. We learnt a lot from the debacle at Brighton and this time arrived en masse rather than in small groups as had happened before. Of course we had a rehearsal at Clacton before this one and we rolled them over with no problems. I think they were on their scooters and away when they heard our 'bikes coming down the main road. I think only a few rockers ended up in Hastings nick but I'm told the place was full of people in parkas. A good day out all round. Rained on the way home though. 

Have you grown up now?
  • Options
    Yes it was a joke
  • Options
    Still got the 'bike: too old to ride it !!
  • Options
    Still got the 'bike: too old to ride it !!
    I'll buy it.
    Seriously.
  • Options
    The old Bonnie has been the subject of much family discussion recently. I honestly hate having her sitting in the garage knowing that with my sight problems I'll never ride her again. However others see her as part of the family and she's been around as long, and in one case longer, than they have. It's bad enough they say flogging the house after 33 years and downsizing, flogging the 'bike as well would be a step too far. Thus to preserve peace and harmony she's staying, even though it means the smaller house must have a garage! So sorry Floyd, no can do. 
  • Options
    edited October 2011

Anyone else in the family you could pass her on to March? Seems a bit of a shame to keep the beast caged like that.

Back to the subject, if it has lead us to where we are today, which everything that ever happened has of course, then bad, very, very, very, bad. 

• Options

I actually fought at The Battle of Hastings August 2nd 1964.

I was in The Lewisham Light Mods Regiment!

• Options
    edited October 2011

No-one that'll ride her Floyd unfortunately. I do take her up and down the drive for an airing every so often: 50 yards each way, just gets into 2nd. gear.Not to worry, I'm hoping one of my chums in the Triumph O.C will let her lodge with him but it won't be close to where we're hoping to move to.

I was in the Johnson's Caff  Light Rocker Brigade but would now be in the Heavy Artillery!!

• Options
    As a man of Kent I would like to point out we were never conquered, we were clever enough to see the writing on the wall and welcomed the Norsemen (sits nicer with me than calling them French) into England
  • Options
    I know ~EXACTLY how you feel about the Bonnie!
    Good to warm her up once in a while.
    Did a bit of work on a friends Matchless yesterday - first time it had run for 2 years!