Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Down Turn Abbey

Anyone spot the glaringly obvious mistake in the episode with the Irish Chauffeur?

I spotted it and I was watching the other side!

Comments

• Options

Not seen many in either series - and I'm an avid mistake spotter.

The nasty sergeant in charge of the Abbey, doesn't have a wound stripe though.

• Options

Focus on the chauffeur
  • Options
    He doesn't have a very good Irish accent?

God I love love love that programme.

What's a wound stripe? Shows you been retired out?
  • Options

No - shows you were wounded.

The clue is in the words 'wound stripe' :-).

• Options
    edited October 2011

Oh and Allen Leech was born, bred, raised in Dublin and got his degree at Trinity!

You are right though - best bit of drama ITV have produced in years. The direction and camera use on it are just stunning.

• Options
    Was joshing re accent.
  • Options
    OK think Ireland and First World War
  • Options
    I give up. What's the answer? Ireland entered the war with the UK in 1914 but conscription wasn't brought in for the Irish. So the chauffeur didn't have to serve.
  • Options
    Strange that you gave up just before you gave the correct answer!
    You are spot on.
    Spoilt the whole series for me - such an elementary error.
  • Options
    I must have missed something in the episode. Did he enlist (or try to avoid signing up)? I thought he spent the whole episode trying to 'woo' the lady.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Watched most of the first series but have given up on it now, though Mrs M is carrying on with it. As a matter of interest, how do they keep all that grass so impeccable, there don't seem to be any gardners or mowers. And why hasn't it been used for turnips or mangal wursels to feed the populace: 'Dig for Victory'!
  • Options

And that would have been seen as a self inflicted wound anyway.

The Driver might be Irish but he's living in England (well, Yorkshire so close enough) so would have been subject to conscription
  • Options
    Watched most of the first series but have given up on it now, though Mrs M is carrying on with it. As a matter of interest, how do they keep all that grass so impeccable, there don't seem to be any gardners or mowers. And why hasn't it been used for turnips or mangal wursels to feed the populace: 'Dig for Victory'!
    That's was WWII
  • Options
    edited October 2011

The Driver might be Irish but he's living in England (well, Yorkshire so close enough) so would have been subject to conscription
    No, he wouldnt have had residence so would still have been seen as an Irish national and not subject to conscription, I'm afraid.
    As was the case for German, Austrian and many other nationalities.
  • Options

No, he wouldnt have had residence so would still have been seen as an Irish national and not subject to conscription, I'm afraid.
    As was the case for German, Austrian and many other nationalities.
    No such thing as an Irish national.  It was part of Britain.  Germans and Austrian were enemy aliens so completely different.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Really? There was no conscription in Ireland.
    They tried it with disasterous effect in 1918
  • Options

He was a British National - and therefore subject to conscription. Plenty of Irish living and working in England were conscripted, though many more volunteered.

The whole point is that no one knows it was a self inflicted wound - it was a German shot that damaged the hand and therefore he should be wearing a wound stripe.

• Options
    Yes, no one is disagreeing about that.

But the Driver isn't in Ireland, he's in Yorkshire and has been since before the war started.

And yes really we were at war with German and Austria so they were enemy aliens.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The whole point is that no one knows it was a self inflicted wound - it was a German shot that damaged the hand and therefore he should be wearing a wound stripe.

By 16 or maybe even 15 the Army had cottoned on the nice clean hand woulds caused in the way his was. 
  • Options
    edited October 2011

They had - but it was difficult to prove unless he was spotted doing it. He would have been court martialled ( and could have been subject to death by firing squad) if they thought that was the case, not given a cushy job in Blighty looking after wounded officers - and promoted to Sergeant!

Wound stripe needed ITV.

• Options

They had - but it was difficult to prove unless he was spotted doing it. He would have been court martialled if they thought that was the case, not given a cushy job in Blighty looking after wounded officers - and promoted to Sergeant!

Wound stripe needed ITV.

Agree on wound stripe.

Agree that unless it was seen and as it was a wound made by an enemy bullet he might have got away with it.
  • Options

So would the Dale Farm mob be subject to conscription?

• Options

Conchees the lot of them : - )
  • Options
    edited October 2011

what is conchees?
  • Options

But the Driver isn't in Ireland, he's in Yorkshire and has been since before the war started.

Do you have a reference for this as I understood that Irish, wherever they lived, were not subject to conscription.
  • Options
    edited October 2011

Do you have a reference for this as I understood that Irish, wherever they lived, were not subject to conscription.
    Do you have a reference for that?

Addickted, who is a WWI scholar of some renown despite being a fat ugly bastard, says that British people (which at that time included people born in what is now Eire) living in mainland Britian were subject to conscription.  So I go with him.

I think you overlooked the fact that Eire didn't exist in 1914 or 1918 and the island of Ireland was part of the British state.
  • Options

what is conchees?
    Conscientious protestors i think?  Like Muhammed Ali with Vietnam
  • Options

Just to confirm,

The Military Service Act of 27 January 1916 ensured that every British male subject who on 15 August 1915 was ordinarily resident in Great Britain and who had attained the age of 19 but was not yet 41 was conscripted.

That of course includes Ireland at the time.