Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mobile Phone Networks, Upgrades etc

Comments

• Options

Talal said:

Just wanted to ask something here as I'm sure people will know...

My contract is up on the 22nd Jan and I'd like to try out a new provider. I have to give 30 days notice to o2 and get a PAC code (which I think is valid for 30 days), but at what point do I sign up to the new provider? Is it as soon as I've given the notice or do I wait until nearer the end?
    Thanks

Best thing to do is time it so that they overlap for a week or so - to give your provider a chance to move your current number to your new SIM before it's cancelled. It shouldn't be too difficult to work it out that way - you'll know in advance how long it'll take to deliver the new phone and the date your current contract ends.

In short, check the delivery times of the phone you want before you cancel the contract. Feel free to message me if you want as I went through all this switching contracts business last week.
    Cheers for that, will do it around 12th - 15th then. This is probably unusual but I'm not planning on getting a new phone, just a sim. Gonna try out talktalk mobile for a month as their tariffs (if you're a broadband customer) are ridiculously good. If the reception/mobile data is that bad then I'll go elsewhere.
  • Options
    Found an old post to bump!

My phone has died today, can't even switch it on. So I need to source a replacement quick. I'm looking for something pretty basic as I only use it for calls/texts and some social media (Twitter etc.). Any recs for particular phones that aren't Apple, and where to get it? I only really know Carphone Warehouse!
  • Options
    Get a XiaoMi, They are fantastic phones with an even better price tag.
  • Options

Get a XiaoMi, They are fantastic phones with an even better price tag.

I have never heard of them but will have a look.

Tech guy at work managed to get my crappo phone to switch on again so may be able to last until the weekend to replace it!
  • Options
    Got a Motorola g6 from Amazon a few months ago and have been really surprised how good it is
  • Options
    I have a brand new Xiaomi Mi a2 lite available for £170 if you like? In black 64gb storage /4g ram uk version. On Amazon for £199 at the moment.
    Am due to return to amazon as girlfriend decided she wanted the blue one after I'd ordered it! Let me know if interested, located in Bromley.
  • Options
    Can’t really go wrong these days as long as you don’t go super cheap.
  • Options
    Thanks all, a tech guy at work managed to get my phone working again, so I'm going to start looking for a replacement in the new year.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Recently switched to Sky mobile and transferred number but some calls/texts are not getting through. When my mum tries calling me nothing happens, the call just ends and when she tries texting it says could not be sent. I can ring and text her without issue and she can contact others with no problems. Has happened with at least one other person as well yet others can reach me fine. What could be causing this? 
    Am still in cooling off period so might have to cancel.

All android, no iPhones.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Have a look at your blocked numbers.  Or something similar.  

My other half had managed to change me to an auto forwarding setting so my calls went straight to his voicemail.   He said he had no clue how he had managed that... 

That was on a samsung.  

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thanks already tried that, their numbers are not on the list.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

My other half had managed to change me to an auto forwarding setting so my calls went straight to his voicemail.   He said he had no clue how he had managed that... 

That was on a samsung.  

That’s what he’s telling you.
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Recently switched to Sky mobile and transferred number but some calls/texts are not getting through. When my mum tries calling me nothing happens, the call just ends and when she tries texting it says could not be sent. I can ring and text her without issue and she can contact others with no problems. Has happened with at least one other person as well yet others can reach me fine. What could be causing this? 
    Am still in cooling off period so might have to cancel.

All android, no iPhones.
    This happened when I moved to a different network. Tends to be the number still transferring. With Vodafone it took weeks for it to be sorted. Regret going with VFone and wish I stayed with Three. The best network I've been with yet.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Three used to effing useless but I presume they have got things together in recent years. I was with EE but switched to Sky about a year ago. Good to be able to roll over data but piggy backs on O2 whose network is not as good as EE’s 

what are peoples general opion of Three ? 
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Three used to effing useless but I presume they have got things together in recent years. I was with EE but switched to Sky about a year ago. Good to be able to roll over data but piggy backs on O2 whose network is not as good as EE’s 

Been using them for my mobile broadband for years and they’re pretty good, always willing to give you a better deal when your contract is up. 

I use giffgaff for my phone - no contract and great goodybags/bundles. 
  • Options

That may be true where's you are, but in almost everywhere but Wales 02 and Giffgaff (use O2's network) have been brilliant. One is personal SIM, the other is my work SIM.

• Options
    The O2 signal at the top of Shooters Hill (certainly in my house) is ridiculously bad. Was fine with EE and my wife’s with Virgin mobile and has good coverage but they use EE as well. Perhaps I’m unlucky with being on top of one of the higher points in London.
  • Options
    Why is Shooter's Hill so bad?  I'm on O2 and its like the black hole once you get up there... rubbish. 
  • Options
    Requested pac code from Sky as found out more people can't get through. Decided to go with Vodafone as girlfriend is with them and reception is decent where we are whereas EE and o2 are average. 
  • Options

I've been with Three for years and really can't complain. Never get any network issues with them and always get a special offer on data which gives me unlimited or something like 30GB a month which i'd never get through anyway.

Have to admit i'm looking at moving to Sky Mobile now but only because Three don't seem to be stocking any more of the Sony Xperia XZ range and with the XZ4 coming out soon I may switch to Sky just to get the handset.

Out of curiosity how many of you put the handset you specifically want first before the network provider and how many just go for a phone with the network provider they prefer to be with?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Curb_It said:
    Why is Shooter's Hill so bad?  I'm on O2 and its like the black hole once you get up there... rubbish. 
    Thing is curb it. It’s been like that on O2 for years. No problem on EE at all
  • Options
    O2 is the best I've been with for the orpington Bromley area 
  • Options
    I was with O2 for a 4 years before switching to Sky 14 months ago.  Reasonably stable connection, decent data speeds, reasonably happy apart from their roaming policy.

I got my daughter on a sim only deal on three.  £15 a month (inc VAT, 30gb data, 500 min calls.  She's been on that for 2 and a bit years now, bought her a iPhone SE sim free to start her off then she got a iPhone XR at Christmas which I made her part pay for from saved pocket money.

Cant fault three at all.  Never have any issues getting through to her and she never runs out of data.  Gutted I cant get an equivalent deal for myself now.  Three's roaming policy is brilliant for when abroad.  With O2 and Sky, you're better of buying a sim only deal in the country where you are (like I did when in South Africa and Dubai in the last 12 months!)
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    I liked Three when I worked for them a couple of years back - I was a customer before I started working there and never had any signal issues in Medway/Swale. They’ve long since got over the reception issues that dogged them 10-15 years ago and I believe they committed to continuing the free roaming abroad even once the UK leaves the EU.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Curb_It said:

That was on a samsung.  

so he says  :D:):)
  • Options

I've been with Three for years and really can't complain. Never get any network issues with them and always get a special offer on data which gives me unlimited or something like 30GB a month which i'd never get through anyway.

Have to admit i'm looking at moving to Sky Mobile now but only because Three don't seem to be stocking any more of the Sony Xperia XZ range and with the XZ4 coming out soon I may switch to Sky just to get the handset.

Out of curiosity how many of you put the handset you specifically want first before the network provider and how many just go for a phone with the network provider they prefer to be with?
    I'm a sim only customer. Not bothered about having the very latest handsets, usually buy a sim free one every 4-5 years.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

That was on a samsung.  

And you believed him ? :-)
  • Options
    Curb_It said:
    Thing is curb it. It’s been like that on O2 for years. No problem on EE at all
    I was told there so many signals going over the hill, mobiles get pushed out by the emergency services and other signals being prioritised. No idea if that's true though. 
  • Options
    I'm moved from Virgin mobile to Three and can't complain, signal at home is not as good but still decent enough to make calls, out and about three signal is better.

My mum is also with three and they are currently offering unlimited data, texts and calls for £20 per month, she walked in and asked if she could change her £26 per month plan to that one and they did it on the spot no fuss.
  • Options

Currently work there, very good network nowadays - was creaking a couple of years ago but they've fixed it through acquisition.