Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Drink Drive solution

I wonder if all cars could be made with these installed?

Dutch drivers
caught operating a car while massively over the legal alcohol limit will
be forced to fit their cars with "alcolocks" which automatically lock
the engine if the driver is over the limit.

Convicted drunk drivers found
in control of with blood alcohol levels over 1.3 mg/dl -- more than six
times the legal limit of 0.2 mg/dl -- will be ordered to install
alcolocks in their cars, the transport ministry said on Wednesday.The new rules will come into effect on December 1, in time for the Christmas and New Year holidays.The
way the alcolock works is that the driver must first breathe into it to
unlock the engine, and will have to repeat the same process at regular
intervals during the journey.

Comments

• Options
    I need one of them for my phone...
  • Options
    Good idea!

• Options

ha ha
  • Options
    Why only people with drink drive convictions? Put them in as standard!
  • Options
    Rizzo -get lost, that really is Big Brother 
  • Options
    Some people could do with them on their keyboards!
  • Options
    Hardly big brother, especially as there is no way you can offer any positive that can come from drink driving.
  • Options
    Why only people with drink drive convictions? Put them in as standard!
    Hence my opening line!
    Not a maasive case of big brother though Redman, a quick blow job before you drive wouldnt harm anyone or intrude on your privacy in any way.
  • Options
    Hardly big brother, especially as there is no way you can offer any positive that can come from drink driving.
    This, why wait until someone has been convicted, who knows even killed someone before having it fitted.
  • Options
    It really isn't.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    must be easy to get round though, just release a big balloon full of 'clear' air down the breathalyser and off you go.....
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    must be easy to get round though, just release a big balloon full of 'clear' air down the breathalyser and off you go.....
    You would need a lot of balloons as the OP said you have to repeat the process at regular intervals during the journey
  • Options
    The police would go around arresting anyone with a rear seat full of balloons on suspicion of drink driving.
  • Options
    Coco wouldnt ever make it to that kids party, imagine the disappointment.
  • Options
    Mrs TCE, has one fitted to our front door.
    One too many beers and I cant get in ; (
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Have you tried the back door?

gets coat
  • Options
    a quick blow job before you drive wouldnt harm anyone or intrude on your privacy in any way.
    be better than the current system where 9 times out of 10, you have to pay for that...

(I'll get me coat....)
  • Options
    Have you tried the back door?

gets coat
    Of course he has, thats why she keeps him outside when he's had a few :-)
  • Options
    I'm starting to take this drink driving business seriously now. I left the car outside the pub last night and took the bus home.

Quite proud of myself really considering I've never driven a bus before.
  • Options
    Of course I drove home. I was way too pissed to walk!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Don't you just have a sober passenger who does the breath test for you?

About 400 of the 3000 or so deaths in the UK are caused by drunk drivers.  So you are much more likely to be killed by a sober driver anyway.

Also according to ROSPA, more people die from accidents in the home (around 4000) every year.

Around 1mn - yes 1mn - children are reported as having suffered an injury in the home in the UK each year.  So, are we sure our focus is in the right place?.  It would be interesting to know how many of the parents of those 1mn children injured in the home have those  moronic "Child On Board" signs obscuring their car's rear window.

Of the 15mn or so attendancies at A&E each year - yes another gob smacking statistic - around 1.6% are as a result of road accidents and around 2% are sports injuries. Rather than demonise drivers - perhaps we should ban sport?

• Options
    edited October 2011
  • Options
    @cafcfan - if you look at it in terms of pure numbers then yes, there are more deaths caused by sober drivers. But when looked at proportionately, alcohol is far more dangerous. The ratio of deaths to drivers increases dramatically for drink drivers.
  • Options
    the state of the roads in this country, drives you to drink !!!
  • Options

Don't you just have a sober passenger who does the breath test for you?

About 400 of the 3000 or so deaths in the UK are caused by drunk drivers.  So you are much more likely to be killed by a sober driver anyway.

Also according to ROSPA, more people die from accidents in the home (around 4000) every year.

Around 1mn - yes 1mn - children are reported as having suffered an injury in the home in the UK each year.  So, are we sure our focus is in the right place?.  It would be interesting to know how many of the parents of those 1mn children injured in the home have those  moronic "Child On Board" signs obscuring their car's rear window.

Of the 15mn or so attendancies at A&E each year - yes another gob smacking statistic - around 1.6% are as a result of road accidents and around 2% are sports injuries. Rather than demonise drivers - perhaps we should ban sport?

arent you forgetting the 3,000 serious injuries caused by drink and drug driving?
    Are you seriously belittling something as avoidable as these deaths and injuries?
    I imagine no one close to you has suffered from drunk driving.

The sober drivers who kill are also being targetted - speed cameras - though obviously revenue earners - are installed in some part to reduce death by speeding.
    Mobile phone use, not wearing seat belts punishments and other approaches are also being used to reduce road deaths.

Your attitude would only target the single major cause of death. Great
  • Options

This won't work, what stops the passenger who hasn't had a drink or a child who's driving home with the drunk from blowing into it?

Most kids will do as they say, and passengers will probably do it aswell so... BAD IDEA.

• Options
    edited October 2011

This won't work, what stops the passenger who hasn't had a drink or a child who's driving home with the drunk from blowing into it?

Most kids will do as they say, and passengers will probably do it aswell so... BAD IDEA.

Really - what passenger is stupid enough to want to ride with a drunk driver?
    I imagine the number of drunk drivers with their own kids in the car who are willing to get their own child to allow them to dive them whilst drunk is miniscule.
    So, that really is a red herring. And it really doesnt make it a bad idea.
    Can you imagine the sentence for someone caught doing this?
  • Options
    We should have them in pubs like they do in Australia, complete with a scoreboard and hall of fame!
  • Options

Floyd, I'm not belittling anything - merely stating that this country's blinkered obsession with punishing drivers is getting out of hand.  Take, for example the proposed new punishment for causing death by dangerous driving.  In isolation it's difficult to argue against isn't it?  But how different is that offence from causing the deaths of your kids by not having smoke and carbon monoxide alarms working and fitted in your home?  Shouldn't that be an offence punishable by jail time?  Where do you draw the line?

Oh, by the way, while my comments about sober drivers were tongue in cheek, it's fair to say that speed cameras don't help.  First, this country had an exemplary record on reducing road deaths - until it got fixated on speed cameras.  Those year on year improvements have now gone.  Not really surprising when - according to the Govt's own figures excessive speed is a factor in only around 7% of road traffic accidents.

Of course if we were really serious about driving down unnecessary deaths we'd ban cigarettes and alcohol.

• Options

Take, for example the proposed new punishment for causing death by dangerous driving.  In isolation it's difficult to argue against isn't it?  But how different is that offence from causing the deaths of your kids by not having smoke and carbon monoxide alarms working and fitted in your home? 

Hugely different and not even worthy of a comparison.