Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The wonders of modern day heart surgery.

edited October 2011 in Not Sports Related

An old pal of mine Eamon (Mog knows him too) was taken ill in Rye about two weeks ago.....he was taken into The Conquest Hospital in Hastings and quickly transferred to Kings College where he underwent a quadruple by-pass operation.

During the op his heart was removed from his body and hooked up to a machine several feet away whilst a suitable vain was removed from his leg and prepaired for the by-pass....5 days later he's discharged and back home.....extraordinary.....simply bloody extraordinary!!

Comments

• Options
    same happened to my Dad about 5 years ago. As you say it is simply amazing what they can do these days.
  • Options
    It hurts just trying to work out how that's possible. Imagine what they could do in the future, transfers a brain perhaps?
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    suggest you don't ever bring up heart (or any other) surgery with Lady Irving and especially not at dinner.

She can tell you about the time she had to hold a pumping human heart out of the way (they they pack a real punch it appears) so the surgeon could get to whatever it was that needed fixing underneath it.

And some more.

Yes, quite fantastic and all on the NHS.
  • Options

Or you could even choose an exact copy of a brain from someone who had lived previously, after you have died that is.

I'm going to come back as Adolf Hitler....................but this time no more Mr Niceguy!

• Options
    Good job she didn't drop it! Glad Totenham's Gomes wasn't doing her job!
  • Options
    Amazing....the blood vessels are so minute, sewing them together is an art firm in itself...medical science has progressed amazingly over the years and lots of research is funded by charities such as cancer research and the British heart foundation....so get donating!
  • Options
    SoundAsa£ : "Elvis" Bill was in The GLion today and told Me to let You about Eammon....To late as usual !
    Send Him my regards when You see Him next,
    P x
  • Options
    It hurts just trying to work out how that's possible. Imagine what they could do in the future, transfers a brain perhaps?
    They have been removing brains for years, just not been able to implant them. If want to what happens to the individuals who have had this done, just pop along to the rusty tool box.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    SoundAsa£ : "Elvis" Bill was in The GLion today and told Me to let You about Eammon....To late as usual !
    Send Him my regards when You see Him next,

P x

Cheers P...yes I've been in contact with Eamon from day one and visited him during the week.

Pretty amazing stuff....especially if you take into account his 'other' problems!

• Options
    Yes, it's amazing what they do nowadays with the heart and cancer. That's why donations are so important as that's what helps fund the research. This month is Breast cancer awareness month in the States and all the NFL are wearing pink. This is near and dear to my heart as the missus is going through this at the moment. It's all good though - it's just the treatment is still very grueling.